Windows Phone 8 - Lumia 822 - Video recording - Micro SD Card issues

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, Recording video to SD card generates a jumpy Video. So, I told device to record videos to the Phone instead of SD Card, and then recorded another video. Then tried to tell the Lumia to copy the video to the SD card, but the option was nowhere to be found. So I took the SD card out, and plugged into PC, the video that was supposed to be on the phone, was recorded to the SD card after i told selected record to phone??? Strange. Anyway, video was still choppy.

Then removed SD card completely, and turned phone back on. Took new video, and then plugged into pc, and copied video to PC. IT was very Good quality and no jumpy issues.

Plugged SD card back in to 822, and turned back on. Located the video in the camera app, and was looking for an optiont to save/share the to the SD card. NO option exists.

Appears as though the record the SD card is an issue if quality is a concern. SD card is a Class 10 Sandisk card.

And it appears as though there is no way to save videos from the phone to a SD card.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been having this same exact issue with my Lumia 822. Even if I select to save new videos to the phone storage, they're still choppy. The only fix is to physically remove the SD card or to soft-remove it via Settings. Even after re-mounting the SD card (via restart) there's no option to copy the video from phone storage to the SD card. In fact the Camera Roll doesn't even let me select any video files. I have to connect it to my computer, copy it over and then delete it from phone storage to reclaim the space.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
No issues of the sort on my SD card. I got some kind of "SanDisk Ultra" I don't remember what else it said. Works fine, video's are crisp and not choppy at all.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No issues of the sort on my SD card. I got some kind of "SanDisk Ultra" I don't remember what else it said. Works fine, video's are crisp and not choppy at all.

For clarity, you're recording videos in 1080p directly to your SD card and everything's fine? If so, would you mind posting the exact model of SD card you're using? I'd like to try that one and see if it works better for me.

Thanks.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For those of you recording in HD (1080p) and are having problems, what class is the micro SD card you are using? That will play a HUGE factor in recording quality

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Recording in 1080p with a Sandisk class 10 ultra+uhs1. Class 6 should work. Even class 4 does provide 32mbit/s and the lumia only records with 20 or something.
The clips are fluid but sometimes the camera app crashes. If the app crashed the only way to watch the clip is with help of the PC. The file is corrupted and showing a "time jump".

Example of clips with my 820: Lumia 820 Camera Footage - YouTube

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Most times when recording to the SD card, the camera app crashes after ending the video and then only after rebooting and waiting for a several minutes the video appears in the camera roll. Playback is jumpy on both the phone and when playing on my computer.

I'm going to try with a Class 10 today and see if that helps. However, considering the OP is having the same issue with a Class 10, I'm a little doubtful this will resolve the issue.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Could also be shady cards...I've seen more than my fair share of cards sent back because of bad build quality. I've always been an ADATA fan over SanDisk, but that's just me. Never had an issue.

Also, what capacity do the cards being used have? I've yet to try the SanDisk 64 gig cards so couldn't speak on them.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For clarity, you're recording videos in 1080p directly to your SD card and everything's fine? If so, would you mind posting the exact model of SD card you're using? I'd like to try that one and see if it works better for me.

Thanks.

Yeah I made sure I was recording in 1080p It's a SanDisk ultra 8GB "perfect for android devices" it says on the package lol. I got it because it was on sale for $15 at Walgreens. And yes, it's a class 10 card. It says on the package that it can read / write at 30MB / second.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I might be able to provide a little insight here as a class 10 should be all you need

I have not been able to test this myself, but I would try formatting the card in a pc as exFAT, with at least 2048K allocation unit size.

This will give a lot less read / write overhead due to reading larger chunks of data per allocation unit. The downside effect to this though is that each file you put on the card will consume at least 2 megabytes. You wouldn't lose a lot here from video / audio, but if you had a lot of documents on the card it would't be using the space as efficiently.

exFAT is relatively new, I dont know if it works on WP8 or not, and I dont have an SD card slot to test it on my 920, but it is worth a shot. Otherwise, your best / fastest bet would be to format using the largest allocation unit size you can go on FAT32.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Inserted a Class 10, took a four minute video in 1080p, camera crashed when stopping the recording, and had to restart the phone and wait for it to show up in Camera Roll. After an initial glitch about a second after the recording started, playback was fine.

Recorded another video for only three seconds, stopped the recording, camera crashed, had to restart the phone and wait for it to show in up in Camera Roll. Playback was fine.

Recorded another four minute video and all worked well.

Maybe I'll try getting a UHS-1 card next.

Last edited:

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am using a new SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A) . As of now, i am recording all video to phone and not card. Problem is, there is no option to move to SD card after recording video.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am using a new SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A) . As of now, i am recording all video to phone and not card. Problem is, there is no option to move to SD card after recording video.

Yes, that's very annoying. I have to plug the phone into my computer, open the Mac Windows Phone app, copy the file over to my computer via Browse Device and then drag it back to to the phone to get it onto the card.

TryllZ

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, Recording video to SD card generates a jumpy Video. So, I told device to record videos to the Phone instead of SD Card, and then recorded another video. Then tried to tell the Lumia to copy the video to the SD card, but the option was nowhere to be found. So I took the SD card out, and plugged into PC, the video that was supposed to be on the phone, was recorded to the SD card after i told selected record to phone??? Strange. Anyway, video was still choppy.

Then removed SD card completely, and turned phone back on. Took new video, and then plugged into pc, and copied video to PC. IT was very Good quality and no jumpy issues.

Plugged SD card back in to 822, and turned back on. Located the video in the camera app, and was looking for an optiont to save/share the to the SD card. NO option exists.

Appears as though the record the SD card is an issue if quality is a concern. SD card is a Class 10 Sandisk card.

And it appears as though there is no way to save videos from the phone to a SD card.

Yes there is an issue with the 822, unable to properly support some SD cards specially saving High Quality videos directly to SD...so you need to use videos to phone...

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, this issue is still causing me a problem. Recorded a new video, and instead of recording to the phone, it recorded to the sd card, even though the settings are set to record to phone???? Anyone have a clue why this is happening? It worked a few days ago after i rebooted phone. But for some reason, the phone decided to start recording to SD card again. Another choppy video.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Even when I had it set to record to phone it didn't work right until I went into the storage settings and selected to remove the SD card. The only way I can record to the card trouble free is to record in 720p.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise