Live tiles flat out don't work

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Because most of the people coming here lately are Trolls!

In the last week or so I've seen probably a hundred different issues being raised but I have yet to experience a single one of these. Either I have the only fully functioning WP8 device on the planet or some of these people are exaggerating / lying / too lazy to ready directions.

One of the above statements is true..

Or there's something specific to their situation -- like a different collection of apps or an interaction between apps and their particular phone or an installation glitch or who knows -- that is giving them problems you and I aren't seeing. On WP8, I've had very smooth sailing on my 822 and all my tiles that can update do update. But in the past I've sometimes been the guy who's having a problem that other people don't have, and I know how frustrating that can be. So I'm inclined to take folks who report problems at face value until proven otherwise, particularly with new phones and a new operating system where there are bound to be some issues.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The disappointing thing about Live Tiles is that they are one of the key features that distinguishes WP from iOS or Android. Unfortunately, many of them simply aren't very good or useful. For example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app will keep a running score on your home screen...while the game is ongoing. After that you have to manually switch to another team rather than being able to say give me all the scores for the NFL and have those scores constantly rotate. Even worse, because Live Tiles require the ability to run in the background they can be battery killers. I like WP and I like the visual change from iOS and Android, but not so much as to accept "partially live" tiles or app shortcuts that are merely large logos (i.e. an ESPN app that does nothing more than a static tile on iOS or Android could do).

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
The disappointing thing about Live Tiles is that they are one of the key features that distinguishes WP from iOS or Android. Unfortunately, many of them simply aren't very good or useful. For example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app will keep a running score on your home screen...while the game is ongoing. After that you have to manually switch to another team rather than being able to say give me all the scores for the NFL and have those scores constantly rotate. Even worse, because Live Tiles require the ability to run in the background they can be battery killers. I like WP and I like the visual change from iOS and Android, but not so much as to accept "partially live" tiles or app shortcuts that are merely large logos (i.e. an ESPN app that does nothing more than a static tile on iOS or Android could do).

That fault is ESPNs not Microsofts. The development kit includes everything they need to make the Live Tile behave exactly the way you describe.

Oh, and Android has the same issue of "developers" doing the absolute minimum and not really following the style and usability standards. As does iOS.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Calling someone a troll is actually a form of trolling, which is against forum rules too. But the mods don't seem to stop it.

As for 3rd party live tiles, I think it's more on the dev side rather than a function of WP OS. All the first party apps work consistantly [expect the me tile]. But I agree, their party apps seem to work in intervals.
how come whenever anyone has a negative experience with a phone or the OS people always jump to the \" trolling" defense on these boards? Are wp8 users that defensive? -

DroBoy

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
The only tiles that I have that should have live update is CNN, Weather and ESPN. ESPN doesn't update at all, just sits there. Also is Google mail tile medium size suppose to show recent emails in the title (not the number amount) or is only if its large

summer600

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles can update even without a background task. I have the background task disabled on the engadget app but still the tile updates. I also have a private app I use that updates entirely from the connected website. Update frequency is not "live" in the sense it is realtime, so don't expect a stock ticker on a live tile.

Benjamin Mendez1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My live tiles are not working either. Since like 2 or 3 days. ESPN score center not working it's still showing the score of a game that happen 3 almost 4 days ago. Weave reader not updating since like 3 days. Battery level for wp8 not updating unless I go into the app, it used to work flawlessly. Even though people say it stop working after their last update but I did not update it so its most likely windows phone 8. Really annoying because that's supposed to be the heart of the phone and it's always a hit or miss. Oh yeah my weather tile not updating as well unless I go into the app. Like is say it's really annoying specially when I've been on board since the windows pocket pc really thinking of jumping off the boat.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only tiles that I have that should have live update is CNN, Weather and ESPN. ESPN doesn't update at all, just sits there. Also is Google mail tile medium size suppose to show recent emails in the title (not the number amount) or is only if its large

The email tiles only show a preview when they are the largest size. I'm happy they show new emails when they are their smallest size.

At this point I think it is an app issue or app/OS issue together and eventually it will get worked out. The "amazing weather" app is th first one I've seen which lets you choose an update interval and it actually works.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
ya, just noticed on my 920 that 3rd party live tales aren't live right now.

my Lumia 900 was working just fine today (activated my 920 this evening lol)

Last edited:

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
weather channel, Facebook. Twitter don't update for me even if I allow background apps. Its still showing the comment I made 4 days ago

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Tiles actually don't update that frequently because background tasks are given a small window to do updates every 30mins. Some apps pull an image from the network, others store it locally if an app isn't updating it's probably not getting the chance to do it due to the way background tasks work on WP.

Maybe Microsoft gave people the wrong impression that it updated much more frequently than they normally do.

Every 30 minutes is not "live", and if Live tiles aren't capable of showing me up to date scores in ESPN, or the moment someone tags me on facebook or twitter, than they are not "live", and microsoft is blatantly false advertising their product.

Some of my apps update just fine. Here are the problems I have encountered so far:

ESPN live tile does not update AT ALL. Just sits on the nice little "ESPN" no matter what the tile size.

Facebook does not update. It just rolls between my profile banner and "what's on your mind"

Photos live tile keeps rolling through deleted photos unless I unpin and repin the photos tile. If I pin favorites, they do not refresh at all.

The only third party tile I have that is working is the HTC tile (I don't have that many).

Verizon HTC 8x

I've never seen my official espn or nokia espn tile show any live content.

VinceCL

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On my HTC 8X, my email (both hotmail and personal) and messaging live tiles no longer update. I don't know I have messages unless I open the tiles manually. My data sense, HTC, weather, and calendar do update. I'm a newb with this, so I don't know if I turned an option off or on that I shouldn't have, lol. I'll keep digging...

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Every 30 minutes is not "live", and if Live tiles aren't capable of showing me up to date scores in ESPN, or the moment someone tags me on facebook or twitter, than they are not "live", and microsoft is blatantly false advertising their product.

Live Tiles can be updated via push notification, so they don't have to be on a fixed interval.

Obviously stuff like Battery Level need access to local phone data so they are required to use a background task.
Some apps use background tasks (e.g. WPCentral) because they haven't invested in the server infrastructure required to handle push notifications (and I doubt they maintain the state of which articles a user has read)
ESPN should work better, I have never had it work, but it isn't the fault of the OS. The app just sucks

ThatTree

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
This is just one data point (my experience), but here goes. On my second 920, I had initially installed from a backup of the first phone, which had become unusable due to a SIM drawer defect.

A few days later, after a severe battery drain I decided to try a soft reset. After this soft reset 3rd-party live tiles for which I was allowing background tasks (WPCentral, NYTimes, Engadget, Amazing Weather) stopped updating on their regular schedules. Most would update their rear information as a result of using the app, though NYTimes didn't.

Ultimately I decided to do a hard reset and reinstall everything manually--not from backup. For now all is well with live tile updates, but if that changes I will update this post.

krazeenyc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 was working great for 1 week. I don't know if it is a coincidence (b/c another user reported the same thing) but after using the charging plate, my email live tiles stopped working. My Calendar still works. when i hit my email live tiles it either A) simply bounces back to the home screen or B) I check an email and delete it but it still shows as if there is an unread email. I hope there is a solution for this as email is a crucial APP to get right.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
For the Espn tile to work I think you have to select a favorite team. I selected all the nba and nfl teams and it does change but it's still pretty far behind where the actual game is.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed something when my live tiles stopped working. When my phone went into battery saving mode they stopped working. After I charged the phone, they didn't start to work again until after I rebooted the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett