Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

They'll update once or twice, but like clockwork, they stop updating for some unknown reason.

Yeah I agree. Great in concept but as of now they are completely broken, not sure how MS didn't test some of this stuff out. Not sure if it's an OS problem or an app problem.
    Last edited by philxor; 11-19-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I haven't seen the problem in four days with WP8 -- all my live tiles keep updating (mail, messaging, weather, battery, etc.).

Is it with certain live tiles, or all of them? Do the tiles respond when you tap them? Are you seeing other glitches with the OS? Which phone?

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I have to click on them to update even tho I have them set to update. Even Facebook isn't updating or twitter. Great concept but but broken execution. Pretty much sums up the os

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    Seeing as only a couple of people have "reported" this it could be caused by anything (if indeed its real and not trolling).
    Thanked by:

My experience with live tiles on WP7 was far from reliable too, specially with 3rd party apps.
    nizzon likes this.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    And meanwhile mine function without error. So it is not a consistent issue.

Global Posts
    12,226 Global Posts
    Same here.. Only a few of the apps I have installed that say they use the system work as suggested.

(Lumia 920, if that matters)

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    how come whenever anyone has a negative experience with a phone or the OS people always jump to the \" trolling" defense on these boards? Are wp8 users that defensive? -

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    Well, there are a couple of reasons.

First, there is history of iTrolls and Android trolls coming in here posing as WP users complaining about "issues". The natural effect is to make people sensitive to the possibility.

Second, when you see people with limited post counts appear and on checking most if not all the posts are negative then it raises the odds that the person is trolling. In other words, just like everywhere else when people only chip in in a negative sense they do get assumed a bit to be trolling.

Trolls are a real problem because they both create a false picture that WP is "broken" and also by making it harder to identify real issues as opposed to fabricated ones.

Some apps update live tiles using backgroud tasks which is not what Microsoft recommend. The background task for the app could have been disabled. If the app hasn't been opened for something like 10 days, then the associated background task is disabled automaticaly. Check in settings--> applications --> background tasks.
    -Scienide- likes this.
    I agree that some of the live tiles don't update as I'd expect them to, but I also find that these are third party apps in my case. With that said, the installed Nokia/Weather Channel weather app hardly updated. Uninstalled that one and installed the Microsoft weather app and it updates very regularly.

I am referring only to third party apps (CNN, espn, wpcentral, daily beast, fuse, etc). Background tasks are on, tiles update when they feel like it.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Keep in mind a LOT of apps are still windows phone 7 apps. I have noticed that those do not update their tiles regularly while wp8 apps do.

Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts
    The live tiles on my 822 don't update at all only if I open them then they refresh.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I notice my Facebook notifications don't update. My lockscreen and FB tile still show 6 notifications this morning, although I read them all yesterday. But most of my Live Tiles are working, weather apps, CNN, NY Times, Feed Reader, WP Central.
    Ryan Sheng Lim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    how come whenever anyone has a negative experience with a phone or the OS people always jump to the \" trolling" defense on these boards? Are wp8 users that defensive? -
    Because most of the people coming here lately are Trolls!

In the last week or so I've seen probably a hundred different issues being raised but I have yet to experience a single one of these. Either I have the only fully functioning WP8 device on the planet or some of these people are exaggerating / lying / too lazy to ready directions.

One of the above statements is true.

I did initialy see some isses with Weather Channel live title updating but they have since corrected that.
    -Scienide- likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Tiles actually don't update that frequently because background tasks are given a small window to do updates every 30mins. Some apps pull an image from the network, others store it locally if an app isn't updating it's probably not getting the chance to do it due to the way background tasks work on WP.

Maybe Microsoft gave people the wrong impression that it updated much more frequently than they normally do.
    Ifeel like an easy fix would be to allow the user to define when updates happen. I wouldn't mind getting no updates until I unlock the phone. Once my phone is unlocked, then pull live tile information. For those who pick up their phone frequently tell it to update on lock but at most x times per hour. Easy.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Some of my apps update just fine. Here are the problems I have encountered so far:

ESPN live tile does not update AT ALL. Just sits on the nice little "ESPN" no matter what the tile size.

Facebook does not update. It just rolls between my profile banner and "what's on your mind"

Photos live tile keeps rolling through deleted photos unless I unpin and repin the photos tile. If I pin favorites, they do not refresh at all.

The only third party tile I have that is working is the HTC tile (I don't have that many).

Verizon HTC 8x

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    Because most of the people coming here lately are Trolls!

In the last week or so I've seen probably a hundred different issues being raised but I have yet to experience a single one of these. Either I have the only fully functioning WP8 device on the planet or some of these people are exaggerating / lying / too lazy to ready directions.

One of the above statements is true..
    Or there's something specific to their situation -- like a different collection of apps or an interaction between apps and their particular phone or an installation glitch or who knows -- that is giving them problems you and I aren't seeing. On WP8, I've had very smooth sailing on my 822 and all my tiles that can update do update. But in the past I've sometimes been the guy who's having a problem that other people don't have, and I know how frustrating that can be. So I'm inclined to take folks who report problems at face value until proven otherwise, particularly with new phones and a new operating system where there are bound to be some issues.
    Thanked by:
    -Scienide- likes this.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The disappointing thing about Live Tiles is that they are one of the key features that distinguishes WP from iOS or Android. Unfortunately, many of them simply aren't very good or useful. For example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app will keep a running score on your home screen...while the game is ongoing. After that you have to manually switch to another team rather than being able to say give me all the scores for the NFL and have those scores constantly rotate. Even worse, because Live Tiles require the ability to run in the background they can be battery killers. I like WP and I like the visual change from iOS and Android, but not so much as to accept "partially live" tiles or app shortcuts that are merely large logos (i.e. an ESPN app that does nothing more than a static tile on iOS or Android could do).

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuufly View Post
    T.....Maybe Microsoft gave people the wrong impression that it updated much more frequently than they normally do.
    You mean by calling them "live?"

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJMoney View Post
    The disappointing thing about Live Tiles is that they are one of the key features that distinguishes WP from iOS or Android. Unfortunately, many of them simply aren't very good or useful. For example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app will keep a running score on your home screen...while the game is ongoing. After that you have to manually switch to another team rather than being able to say give me all the scores for the NFL and have those scores constantly rotate. Even worse, because Live Tiles require the ability to run in the background they can be battery killers. I like WP and I like the visual change from iOS and Android, but not so much as to accept "partially live" tiles or app shortcuts that are merely large logos (i.e. an ESPN app that does nothing more than a static tile on iOS or Android could do).
    That fault is ESPNs not Microsofts. The development kit includes everything they need to make the Live Tile behave exactly the way you describe.

Oh, and Android has the same issue of "developers" doing the absolute minimum and not really following the style and usability standards. As does iOS.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Calling someone a troll is actually a form of trolling, which is against forum rules too. But the mods don't seem to stop it.

As for 3rd party live tiles, I think it's more on the dev side rather than a function of WP OS. All the first party apps work consistantly [expect the me tile]. But I agree, their party apps seem to work in intervals.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast