Epic Fail #2 - Can't post to wpcentral forums directly from WP8 browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just tried to post something to the forums by going through the browser on my 8x. I was able to successfully enter the title to the new thread, but when I tapped in the text box to begin typing, the keyboard would pop up, and then immediately go away. I tried several times and got the same problem. Is anyone else having this problem? I am typing this through my WebOS browser on my touchpad, and had no trouble posting here through the browser on my Pre3, so don't understand why I can't post to the WPCENTRAL forum using the browser on my WP device.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The same reason we get double posts when we try to post once. It's a problem with the website, not your phone. WPCENTRAL needs to fix their website.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The forums have been buggy since the update a few days ago. Stuff has been broken on the forums even when I've used desktop PC browsers (IE10, Firefox 16, Chrome 23). Opera for desktop Windows won't even let me log in on wpcentral. There is a thread here for reporting bugs in the site.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed in a Turkish forum too, also having this issue on my Lumia 920.
If you switch to desktop version, instead of mobile it works fine. But yes, it's annoying.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed in a Turkish forum too, also having this issue on my Lumia 920.
If you switch to desktop version, instead of mobile it works fine. But yes, it's annoying.

I was in desktop mode. Maybe this is new, I just noticed the double posts last night, so maybe this arrived with that. So this is a wpcentral EPIC FAIL!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was in desktop mode. Maybe this is new, I just noticed the double posts last night, so maybe this arrived with that. So this is a wpcentral EPIC FAIL!
I'm not getting the double posts now, but I was getting them big time last night. I did clear my browser cache.

The double posts happened when I was using desktop PC browsers.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
This does not equal Epic Fail. Epic Fail is when you brick your phone. This is merely a minor annoyance with wpcentral that will get fixed.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that isn't an epic fail. We've been carrying massive upgrades the past few weeks. Not just on the parts that are visible to your eyes on-screen, but also in the backend. We've also updated the bulletin board software we use. Unfortunately, we don't develop it, so when bugs are brought to our attention we have to dive in and see what the issue is (in this case it sounds like the WYSIWYG editor is causing some issues). IE 10 on the phone isn't top priority I'm afraid. There are many issues we're addressing and we don't have the manpower to get through everything in a single night. We've asked that you all remain patient with us while we continue through this transitional period. So far, you guys have been excellent! And we love the constant feedback you're providing us.

Until we address everything, we'd strongly recommend you use our official app, which sports superb forum integration (and perhaps switch from the rich editor to the basic editor to see if that works out for you). Browsers handle websites and scripts differently, and vBulletin isn't a small installation. It's not a clean installation either as we were running the previous version (prior to vB4) for a long time. While we fix things up, other bits may decide to divorce us and we're then forced to agree on a settlement with whatever element has decided to go wrong. Again, we apologise for any inconvenience, but simply writing "EPIC FAIL" will get us nowhere. We need to know exactly what you're attempting to do, on what browser, on what system, in the bug reporting thread.

Thank you all for your continued support and patience. You guys are awesome.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
"IE 10 on the phone isn't top priority I'm afraid"

Er, WHAT? This is WINDOWS PHONE central, right? Shouldn't the platform the site is tailored for be your first priority.

Ok, not Epic Fail, just LOGIC FAIL

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you have access to the list of bugs / fixes / improvements that have to be made? No, you don't. When you have limited amount of resources, you have to manage them wisely. I'd rather have superb website stability and editor improvements for our team to continue pumping out content for all readers, rather than focusing on a single browser fix for one person who can't be bothered to use our app. It's not a fail of any kind. The website works perfectly well in IE10, it's the forum installation you're having issue with. They're two massively separate entities. If the main site was broken in IE10 then sure we'd fix it quickly, but it isn't. With the forums you have an array of options on how to access the forum (which are arguably more user friendly than the desktop view on a small screen). We'll get round to it, there's just a lot to do already. As I said in the previous post, we ask for your continued patience as we work our way through everything.

Thread locked. Feel free to contact me to take this further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05