Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By brmiller1976
  • 1 Post By iamtim
  • 1 Post By Jetrii
  • 1 Post By Malcolm Clement

Are there any options for streaming music from Google Play on WP8? I tried accessing music.google.com using IE10 on a Lumia 920 at the AT&T store but didn't have much luck - the web app responded very slowly and never actually played any music.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    I haven't found one yet, but I'd love to have that too.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Google has made it clear that they will ensure that their services either don't work, or don't work reliably, on Windows Phone. Any third party app that enables Play streaming will eventually be broken, just as most YouTube clients have been on a regular basis. Sorry.

Time to switch to XBox Music (or a cross-platform streaming solution ala Spotify).
    SergeMcG likes this.

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    See... that ^^^ is why every day I move closer and closer to nuking all my Google accounts from orbit.
    SergeMcG likes this.

Download the Gooroovster app in the store. It is unable to cache songs, but it does a good job of streaming.
    fusioncept likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Google has made it clear that they will ensure that their services either don't work, or don't work reliably, on Windows Phone. Any third party app that enables Play streaming will eventually be broken, just as most YouTube clients have been on a regular basis. Sorry.

Time to switch to XBox Music (or a cross-platform streaming solution ala Spotify).
    and that's fine with me. I don't want any of their crap on my phone.
    Google makes great apps if your objective about it. I love my Lumia 920 way more than my Xperia TL but the Google apps on the Xperia are awesome, especially Google Play (music) which I have all 10,000+ songs loaded onto.

It's a shame MS doesn't put the same dedication into making apps that Google does. It would be awesome if MS made great apps for their phone. And no, Xbox Music is not as good. I love features of it but it really bugs me that I can't control the upload or matching of my personal library like on Google. It only matches some of my music and usually opts for the edited version. Try listening to edited Tupac... frustrating... MS just overlooks too many basic features. Not a hater, I've used all systems and love WP8 the best but come on MS, step up and invest a billion or two in your app developers and your service offerings, time to catch up!
    Memory Morgan likes this.

How has Google made it clear that they won't create apps for Windows Phone 8?

Spotify doesn't work on my Lumia 920

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    I did find Gooroovster, which is a Google Music app for WP. It worked pretty well.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    there is also cloudmuzik

i think cloudmuzik is more up to date.

neither are actively developed though

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu. View Post
    neither are actively developed though
    Do you have a source for this?

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    i purchased both and i can't remember the last time anything happened on the gooroovster front.

cloudmuzik went free a few weeks ago because of "bugs". i don't think they have been resolved yet.

I haven't paid much attention to either because they're too unreliable for someone with a large library.

Where has Google said they won't build for WP8?

Going to assume troll as I can't see anywhere where Google says they won't develop for Windows Mobile.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dermotf View Post
    and that's fine with me. I don't want any of their crap on my phone.
    lol stubborn oaf

On topic, i think once HTML 5 gets more widespread even without app support you'll be able to access a lot of flash based web content on WP8. It's obviously not ideal (try pandora now for example) but it would at least sort of work.

Actually Google hasn't done anything to hinder 3rd party apps. Gooroovster and Cloudmuzik are both still being developed. The problem is that it's hard to find time to keep working on them. I continue to work on Gooroovster because I use it myself. I'll have a new version out soon, with lots of improvements including offline listening.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeattie View Post
    Actually Google hasn't done anything to hinder 3rd party apps. Gooroovster and Cloudmuzik are both still being developed. The problem is that it's hard to find time to keep working on them. I continue to work on Gooroovster because I use it myself. I'll have a new version out soon, with lots of improvements including offline listening.
    That's great to hear. Glad to see you're still working on it. Won't mind paying for it if you will keep doing so.

Cloudmuzik is also actively being developed on and the developer is really good at responding to questions/requests.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    You will have to start using Xbox music, google locks you out from their services in WP.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Clement View Post
    Google makes great apps if your objective about it. I love my Lumia 920 way more than my Xperia TL but the Google apps on the Xperia are awesome, especially Google Play (music) which I have all 10,000+ songs loaded onto.

It's a shame MS doesn't put the same dedication into making apps that Google does. It would be awesome if MS made great apps for their phone. And no, Xbox Music is not as good. I love features of it but it really bugs me that I can't control the upload or matching of my personal library like on Google. It only matches some of my music and usually opts for the edited version. Try listening to edited Tupac... frustrating... MS just overlooks too many basic features. Not a hater, I've used all systems and love WP8 the best but come on MS, step up and invest a billion or two in your app developers and your service offerings, time to catch up!
    Agreed to all of that. I like tech in general, whether it's Windows, Android or an iPhone. I love my Nokia 1520 but it doesn't have nearly as many apps as the other phones, especially the iPhone. Then when it does get a good app, the developers don't put as much time into updates as they do with other phones.

It'll get there, the Windows just needs to grow in popularity some first. It's a catch-22 because developers don't want to create apps for the Windows phone because they are not used by as many people, but then people don't want Windows phones because there are not as many apps. But they are gaining in popularity, and I think will be given more attention by developers before too long. In the meantime it's kinda sucky.

It took a while for Google to make the Google Play Music app for the iPhone, but they eventually did. More official Google apps are gradually being added to the Windows phone, so, hopefully, the music app will be added before too long as well.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Memory Morgan View Post
    Agreed to all of that. I like tech in general, whether it's Windows, Android or an iPhone. I love my Nokia 1520 but it doesn't have nearly as many apps as the other phones, especially the iPhone. Then when it does get a good app, the developers don't put as much time into updates as they do with other phones.

It'll get there, the Windows just needs to grow in popularity some first. It's a catch-22 because developers don't want to create apps for the Windows phone because they are not used by as many people, but then people don't want Windows phones because there are not as many apps. But they are gaining in popularity, and I think will be given more attention by developers before too long. In the meantime it's kinda sucky.

It took a while for Google to make the Google Play Music app for the iPhone, but they eventually did. More official Google apps are gradually being added to the Windows phone, so, hopefully, the music app will be added before too long as well.
    Which Google Apps have been added to Windows Phone so far besides search? I genuinely don't know, I use nothing but Microsoft services on my WP, and Google services on my Androids.
    My Devices
    Lumia 920, Nexus 5, Xperia Z Ultra GPe, Lumia 520, LG G Flex, iPad 4 128GB, nVidia Shield

Holy thread necromancy batman!
    Supporter of Microsoft services, not windows phone.