Why Aren't More Windows 8 Features Included In Windows Phone 8?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, I've been using Windows 8 for months, between my non-touchscreen laptop and my wife's touchscreen laptop).
I really like it on her touchscreen laptop.
I'm surprised at how many native functions of Windows 8 AREN'T included in Windows Phone 8.
For instance, why can't I swipe from left to right in Internet Explorer to go back a page?
I can in Windows 8 Internet Explorer.
There are multiple bits of functionality that I am now accustomed to and I keep doing them, habitually, and they keep not working.
I was expecting the experience to be much more similar than it ended up being.
JJ

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
What else do you wish to see in Windows Phone 8? I'd also like to see some functionality present to navigate the web easily, what Internet Explorer on Windows 8 has is a perfect concept. Windows Phone 8 is a huge update for the platform, we can't expect Microsoft to bundle absolutely everything together with a massive backend overhaul :)

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Probably because the only things WP8 shares with Windows 8 and Windows RT are parts of the kernel and the word "Windows" in the name.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What else do you wish to see in Windows Phone 8? I'd also like to see some functionality present to navigate the web easily, what Internet Explorer on Windows 8 has is a perfect concept. Windows Phone 8 is a huge update for the platform, we can't expect Microsoft to bundle absolutely everything together with a massive backend overhaul :)
Perfect might be a bit high.
You can't add favorites in the metro version of IE10.
Hehehe...
That's quite a pain in the butt.
I understand that it was a huge update.
I was just surprised that a lot of the touchscreen functionality didn't transition over.
I was expecting it to be much more similar.
JJ

Brenren

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Probably because the only things WP8 shares with Windows 8 and Windows RT are parts of the kernel and the word "Windows" in the name.

But I thought the whole point of this, atleast per Microsoft marketing, was to unify the interface across all these platforms (PC, tablet, phone, xbox). The interface should include touch controls where able.

Daniel0418

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree! I want a lot of the functionality in windows 8 to be on Windows phone 8. I want the multitasking swiping, going back and forward by swiping I'm the browser, and I would love to be able to close apps by swiping from the top

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Perfect might be a bit high.
You can't add favorites in the metro version of IE10.
Hehehe...
That's quite a pain in the butt.
I understand that it was a huge update.
I was just surprised that a lot of the touchscreen functionality didn't transition over.
I was expecting it to be much more similar.
JJ
you can add favorites in windows 8 metro explorer. Should be the second button to the right of your address bar that looks like pinning to start...

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I love the native travel, news, sports, bing... etc. "apps" on the Windows 8 start menu. I love how they live-tile and they are just really good at functionality. I think if WP8 was basically the Windows 8 start screen it would be a serious step in the right direction!

I love WP8 now but it would be great if it was quite literally a mobile OS.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Might have to wait until 8.1/8.5 (or whatever they are going to call it) to see more convergence. WP8 has some other shortcomings to overcome first - and no, that's not a putdown against it.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Two different visions two different team leads. I believe from now all MS teams will work together to unify their products. That's Ballmer's vision.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
you can add favorites in windows 8 metro explorer. Should be the second button to the right of your address bar that looks like pinning to start...
Well, look at that...
When did Add To Favorites end up with that icon?
The last time I tried it, it just pinned to Start.
I wonder if that was a difference between RTM and evaluation or Consumer and RTM.
JJ

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, I just opened Minesweeper (the Windows Phone 8 versions and Windows 8 versions are both XBOX titles), on my phone, and was surprised that none of my achievements were there.
I played a game and it looked totally different than the Windows 8 version.
There are now powerups and tokens.
Why are they different?
It keeps surprising me how little cross-platform integration there really is.
I figured that Microsoft software, more than anything, would be very consistent.
That doesn't seem to be the case, though.
To me, it just isn't enough to have the same named program available.
I want the same program.
I want my settings to translate from one to the other.
I want to be able to start something on my home laptop, continue it on my phone, and finish it on my work desktop.
I thought that was the whole point.
JJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3