Windows Phone to access network shares

Space_Kowboy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm a recent convert to the Windows Phone world and so far I love it. I'm an IT professional and I have clients that want to be able to access and edit network shares from smart phones and tablets. Most of the clients I interact with do this through devices running iOS. It doesn't do it natively but there are apps I have found that will at the very least access network shares and view files, but editing them is something else. It is not elegant by any means, but I can get it to work for my clients. I kept hearing about the integration between the new Windows phone platforms with WP8, Windows 8 and Server 2012. My thoughts when I first heard about all of this would be that it would be easy to access network shares on a Windows domain, open up and possibly edit documents right from my phone. Alas, this does not seem to be the case.

I came across the "My Server" app in the marketplace and looked into it. At first glance it looked like it may do everything I wanted it to do. I thought I might finally have a good solution for my clients and can convert them over to the Windows phones/tablets. It apparently only works on servers running 2012 Essentials but is not supported on any other version of Server 2012. I was highly disappointed when I found this out. Am I overlooking something here? I am still fairly green on the Windows Phone OS. Is there any way to access network shares and open and edit documents in those shares?

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of any app which would allow you to access network shares, but there is SharePoint integration built into the phone if that is something you use.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Win8 Pro tablets will be the win for this. I can't wait for surface pro to come out.
Not sure why anyone would want to view or edit corp. docs on a phone though. just so small (I am a network engineer at a managed services company so I deal with a lot of the "I want an iPad crowd" too)

I've never tried to connect my android to a share? not sure I would want to.. ssh, rdp I use all the time though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon