Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By bamagrad03
  • 2 Post By Isror

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe Im being too picky, but the original focus I have is very nice. it is lighter than the iphone 4, and almost as thin with a 4 inch super nice screen. Its a very well designed phone, and is invisible in your pocket because its so light, but the screen is amazingly bright etc.... Its a balance between thin/light and nice screen.

None of the new phones are as good as the original focus. the new samsung is just way too big at 4.8 inches. The new nokias are way too heavy for me, they are heavier than the iphone 4 which was already too heavy to begin with. The new HTCs come close but theyre no cigar, those screens arent even close to samsung Super amoled screen tech or nokias screens....

Im willing to compromise (if 4.3 inch screens were on the new samsung, id take it) but this is just too many compromises. Ill be waiting for the next batch of windows phone 8 devices, because so far i am underwhelmed with the hardware by the OEMs.

what im looking for:

- 4.0 inch screen ideally (will compromise up to 4.3 inch)
    -samsung super amoled preferred, will compromise to nokia screen
    -thin and needs to be about as light as the original focus
    If sounds like your big priorities are weight and size. To each his own, but that's certainly not even in mu top ten. As long as they fit a range within reason, I SM pretty happy.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    If sounds like your big priorities are weight and size. To each his own, but that's certainly not even in mu top ten. As long as they fit a range within reason, I SM pretty happy.
    good point youre right. I've just been spoiled with the focus. I remember letting people hold my focus and they literally cant believe how light it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
    good point youre right. I've just been spoiled with the focus. I remember letting people hold my focus and they literally cant believe how light it is.
    if you want my advice, play with the phones. The Lumia is the heaviest of the bunch. I found the 8x to be quite light. The Ativ will supposedly be lighter, although its pretty hideous IMO

I agree, this is a hole that needs to be filled. A 4.0" phone is a must, I wish Nokia will release a phone in the Lumia 800 form factor.

The Lumia 800 is the best phone I have ever held and used - perfect size for a phone BUT these days we all want more so now use a Lumia 900 as the bigger screen is way better for typing and web browsing.
    You cannot have everything Lumia 920 too heavy or perfect as it has a decent size battery?
    After reading some posts on this forum it seems some people are waiting for a phone with a battery that lasts two days but has zero weight and a screen that is huge but feels small when held - they may be waiting a while - me I am just waiting for the Australian release of the Lumia 920.

Check out the 8x, it feels really nice, screen and audio are excellent IMO.

I actually don't mind the weight of the 920. Whilst using it, I forget about the weight and it feels perfect in the hand! My old handset was Galaxy Nexus..

What about the HTC 8S? That seems the closest to the size you want not that I'm clear on its availability. I'm guessing it might lack some other things you want, but you're not going to get everything in a phone and what you're looking for may very well not be coming. The prevalence of 4 inch highly spec'd phones are not likely to return in the near future.

I think the 8s is right up your alley minus the lack of AMOLED screen. I never saw the huge selling point in super AMOLED. but you are right, a manufacturer really needs to try an cover all sizes without sacrificing features.

The world would be a very dull place if everyone liked the same phones.

As a previous iPhone owner, you lost me at "the iPhone 4 is too heavy for me"

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i always laugh when i see someone say the weight of the lumia 920 is too much for them. you're essentially saying the weight of a 16 oz bottle of water is too much for you. because a 16 oz bottle of water weighs more than the 920. not a good look.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    My guess is that this is the hole that the Samsung Discovery will fill. I'm betting it's the 4" S3 that they are making for Android but with WP8 of course.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I understand completely. I would love to see a smaller, lighter version of the Lumia 920 with all of the same features including the resolution.

The 8X does not do it for me.

I love my 920 though.

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    why not look at the lumia 820? i love my 920 so far, yea its alittle heavy compared to the iphone 5 i just returned but its not that bad

Global Posts
    2,438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Speed View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe Im being too picky, but the original focus I have is very nice. it is lighter than the iphone 4, and almost as thin with a 4 inch super nice screen. Its a very well designed phone, and is invisible in your pocket because its so light, but the screen is amazingly bright etc.... Its a balance between thin/light and nice screen.

None of the new phones are as good as the original focus. the new samsung is just way too big at 4.8 inches. The new nokias are way too heavy for me, they are heavier than the iphone 4 which was already too heavy to begin with. The new HTCs come close but theyre no cigar, those screens arent even close to samsung Super amoled screen tech or nokias screens....

Im willing to compromise (if 4.3 inch screens were on the new samsung, id take it) but this is just too many compromises. Ill be waiting for the next batch of windows phone 8 devices, because so far i am underwhelmed with the hardware by the OEMs.

what im looking for:

Have you actually held the 920? I went from the focus to the 900 The 900 is heavier but for me not too heavy. The 920 is not that big a deal either. If you dont like any of the WP8 devices wait until the next generation of WP8 You may like them better. Have you actually held the ativ S? If not how do yoyu know its too big the difference is length and width b etween the focus 1.3 and the nokia 900 at 4.3 is minimal. The difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is very minimal and the same between 4.5 and 4.8. as well.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    OP needs an iphone 5, lol. Yeah I said it.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I second the recommendation of the 820 (or the 810 on T-Mobile). Light and comfortable phones.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I second the recommendation of the 820 (or the 810 on T-Mobile). Light and comfortable phones.
    Or if he wants to join us on VZW, 822 :D
    brmiller1976 and 11B1P like this.

Global Posts
    3,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    First off, do not settle. Period. Others of us may not totally understand what your preferences are, but if the 920 is uncomfortable and the ATIV is too big, then so be it. The Nokia 810/820/822 series and the 8X are possible, but why settle if you do not have too? The 8S has a 4.0" screen, but also a different screen no front facing camera. It is likely to be readily available to a ton of carriers, so keep that one in the "worth checking out" department.

But if your Focus is still doing the job for you, then yes by all means wait. The biggest problem you have (yes, pun intended) is that multi-media is the driving force behind mobile right now. Videos, gaming, streaming pod casts, all these things are pushing device makers to as large of screens as they can. It is why Apple finally jumped on a larger screen, and why you see high end only meaning 4.3" or larger. You might have to make some trade offs to get your screen and weight preferences.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    As a former Focus user, the screen on the 8x is fantastic.

A big part of the reason I went with the 920 is that I didn't like my other options. The iphone 5 is very well made, but still too small, and too held back by iOS. Samsung phones feel like toys, too plasticy. Motorola is dead to me after their lies about android upgrades, and inexplicable screen damage to my MotoACTV. HTC is a runner up, and but I don't like the soft touch coating they use, and the camera bump on the One X annoys me greatly.

Now that I have it, I love how substantial the 920 is. it feels like a solid piece of polycarbonate with a screen fused to it, where most phones feel like a delicate shell around electronics.