Exclusives are harmful to the WP8 Ecosystem.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It's so much easier to bash nokia than to hold htc or samsung accountable for not putting out as much effort towards apps, isn't it? But hey, I don't want to open a can of worms by pointing that out.
I applaud Nokia! They need all the help they can get. By taking on a mysterious venture like Windows Phone, you never know what your future looks like. If they would have went the safe route (my opinion) they would have went Android. People are buying Android left and right (despite the buggy nature of it) If you put Nokia builds with Android's open system then the sky is the limit and there is no doubt in my mind their sales would have boosted, but they went with MS. And are suffering from it and are taking every measure that they can. And I am glad people are benefiting from their desperate times. HTC on the other hand has their hand in Android as well. Even with their decline, they still make a considerable amount world wide. And I don't even want to mention Samsung, their bread and butter is with Android, they don't even need WP, so if people want to buy their lesser supported devices then go ahead.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone of you guys here know that Nokia invests in R&D almost as much as Microsoft? Nokia invests more than Google in research. And guess what - Lumia 920 is product they offer with all the money they spend, which is as much hardware, as it is software and services (like costumer care). Nokia Lumia is the sum of all its parts and not only a part. That is exactly why they went exclusively with WP, because it adds to its identity and personality, differentiating it from the other "things". And to those who are angry at Nokia for bringing apps with a timed exclusivity: Remember that WP was a barren desert in App World before Nokia jumped in. After they joined WP everyone enjoys 100.000 apps. Is Nokia that bad??? Remember again that they invest as much money in R&D as Microsoft even though they have profitability problems. That is something to be appreciated. On the other hand HTC spends just 550 million $. That is why they are behind and not because of Nokia. I think that people should support Nokia and bash the other OEMs for not doing enogh, but the opposite happens.
One of the reasons I see people bashing Nokia is not because of their app exclusivity. I gather that it's the fans of Nokia acting like they made the Holy Grail. If Nokia asked them to jump off 100 foot drop into a pool off lepers they probably would. They make Nokia out to be some sort of prophet of the tech world. Nokia ain't perfect. They have made plenty of mistakes, but the thing that keeps them up is their wonderful customer support...which I highly applaud. If only all the other companies were as responsive and supportive then the world would be a better place.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has done more for Windows Phone than anyone else, including Microsoft.

The question you should be asking yourself is why isn't YOUR OEM working to get you exclusive apps?

Nokia has all it's chips on Windows Phone, they cannot afford to "play nice" to make other OEM's that ride Android's sack happy.

1xs5m.gif

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I applaud Nokia! They need all the help they can get. By taking on a mysterious venture like Windows Phone, you never know what your future looks like. If they would have went the safe route (my opinion) they would have went Android. People are buying Android left and right (despite the buggy nature of it) If you put Nokia builds with Android's open system then the sky is the limit and there is no doubt in my mind their sales would have boosted, but they went with MS. And are suffering from it and are taking every measure that they can. And I am glad people are benefiting from their desperate times. HTC on the other hand has their hand in Android as well. Even with their decline, they still make a considerable amount world wide. And I don't even want to mention Samsung, their bread and butter is with Android, they don't even need WP, so if people want to buy their lesser supported devices then go ahead.

I hope the OP reads this and realizes his problem with Nokia is misdirected.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons I see people bashing Nokia is not because of their app exclusivity. I gather that it's the fans of Nokia acting like they made the Holy Grail.

They did. Most of the world paid no attention to Windows Phone before Nokia entered the picture.

If Nokia asked them to jump off 100 foot drop into a pool off lepers they probably would.

No.

They make Nokia out to be some sort of prophet of the tech world.

No, we love Windows Phone and so does Nokia and we appreciate the only OEM that is totally dedicated to our platform of choice instead of riding the green robots nuts and playing with Windows Phone as a hobby. No apologies.

Nokia ain't perfect. They have made plenty of mistakes

Yes, no one denies this.

...but the thing that keeps them up is their wonderful customer support...which I highly applaud. If only all the other companies were as responsive and supportive then the world would be a better place.

Amen

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Differentiation is a lame excuse. How about differentiation through hardware? Hardware is the reason people are buying the 8X because it's a greatly designed phone regardless of what Nokia is offering on their side. Differentiation through 1st party apps is also fine but 3rd party not so much. 3, 6 or 12 months of exclusivity is a long time in the mobile world.

Kind of ironic that you're talking about differentiation and then mentioning the 8X, which is obviously "inspired" by the Lumia 900 design. It's a perfect example of why differentiation through hardware alone isn't enough. Some crap company will just come along and imitate your design language if it's successful.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Kind of ironic that you're talking about differentiation and then mentioning the 8X, which is obviously "inspired" by the Lumia 900 design. It's a perfect example of why differentiation through hardware alone isn't enough. Some crap company will just come along and imitate your design language if it's successful.

Having owned both the 920 and the 8x...those are night and day comparisons. What, it's a crime to use color now? Didn't you also get the word that MS wanted more Live tile inspired colors? SO, blame MS for telling HTC to use a color palette. Design wise, night as day my friend. You have sturdy, huge, hammer of dawn 920. And then you have the Sleek, slender, and elegant 8x. Hence a reason why my 920 is in a box right now. just doesn't strike me as a smart phone. More like a point and shoot camera that can surf the net, email, etc. It's huge man! C'mon, don't deny it. But some people like/don't mind huge. Girls say size matters, but there is a point where too big starts to hurt. lol. Again, the phones are design wise, tottally different. They don't even have the same shades of the colors. except black I guess.

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Every brand has its fanboys, this is one thing that is not exclusive to Nokia :p . This is a result of the "war" that the tech giants are creating, with the ads bashing each other or competing with each other. Even the patent disputes between Apple and Samsung are a thing that they both enjoy despite the fact that they may lose cases. Unconsciously people think that they are the big boys because if they fight they must have something worth fighting for. Framing the competition as "war" is the best marketing tool in my opinion because it rallies people behind th brand and attaches them emotionally. Not because they like Samsung, or Apple or Nokia, but because they hate the others. These wars tend to crowd out competitors. Instead of thinking rationally of the new companies, people treat them as the new guy in school who is not cool, not worthy of hanging out with the big guys. This is the smartphone war like the similar battles: CocaCola VS Pepsi, Intel VS AMD, Boeing VS Airbus, Playstation VS Xbox VS Wii, Nike VS Adidas etc. The perfect example that this strategy works is Samsung. How did Samsung go to the top of the Android line? They claimed since the begining with their ads that they will challenge Apple. And that's it - they directly gained value and mindshare by being an equal of Apple. Samsung didn't introduce anything revolutionary or any impressive costumer support.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Having owned both the 920 and the 8x...those are night and day comparisons. What, it's a crime to use color now? Didn't you also get the word that MS wanted more Live tile inspired colors? SO, blame MS for telling HTC to use a color palette. Design wise, night as day my friend. You have sturdy, huge, hammer of dawn 920. And then you have the Sleek, slender, and elegant 8x. Hence a reason why my 920 is in a box right now. just doesn't strike me as a smart phone. More like a point and shoot camera that can surf the net, email, etc. It's huge man! C'mon, don't deny it. But some people like/don't mind huge. Girls say size matters, but there is a point where too big starts to hurt. lol. Again, the phones are design wise, tottally different. They don't even have the same shades of the colors. except black I guess.

I will deny it. I don't feel the 920 is too large at all. In fact when I got the phone my wife looked at it and asked what was all the fuss about. The size, the weight are just fine for me. On the other hand, to me the 8X is too skinny for it's height. Holding it doesn't feel that comfortable, and it's visually unappealing to me. I would've went with the 822 if I was on Verizon.

But that's the good thing. We are two different people with two different tastes. And we actually have choices for a WP. It's only been two weeks since launch. I hope and feel that in time, there will be phones and features to please everyone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You might be right, I may be crazy, but we dont have any control over that and never will. Unless you become CEO of NOKIA or whomever. Furthermore its business its capitalism and its not a democracy! Moan and groan all you want you are expending energy on an unwinnable fight. Please dont thinkthat I am bellittlin your opinions and thoughts. That's not my intent.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
For me, Nokia Drive, City Lens etc. are logically exclusive to Nokia. But 3rd party aps like Bloomberg, Whatsap etc. should not be blocked with Nokia. Some people will not buy Nokia no matter what. The 8X is less expensive than the 920 everywhere except in the US. This ludicrous arguments that HTC should get their own aps would just make the ecosystem weaker. All 3rd party apps must be shared, who pays gives them free to his customers. Otherwise, before you know it, there will be no WP ecosystem... no Nokia, but plenty of HTC Android phones out there. Think, ecosystem... The more WP8 users, the more apps, the more demand for WP8 phones for all involved. It would benefit all.

theitbros

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You opened up an already opened can of worms OP. Don't bash Nokia or you will be burned at the stake here on WPCentral. lol. They love to jump on a Nokia naysayer. And I don't blame Nokia. I blame MSFT. Nokia is right for taking advantage of the gaping whole in the app ecosystem. If the door is open, walk through it.

We agree with you. We love Microsoft products, but they really dropped the ball here. Given another year developing WP8 it could have been so much better. Instead we are left with less features than we had with WP7.

Last edited:

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
You do know that WPCentral is not here for you to redirect traffic to your blog don't you?

Also, most of the Nokia apps are only exclusive for a limited time - this has already been covered.

theitbros

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about traffic to my blog, and I have removed my link to prove it. I do care about them ripping out features which we had before... what happened to improving? And yes I know the exclusivity is for a limited time... I read as well. But now we have no navigation for the time being... and I bet you it will be at least 3 months until any navigation is integrated back into the phone.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I would have less of an issue if Nokia devices weren't plagued with exclusivity.....

It's too hard to get one of their devices so I simply cannot use them. For me it's 920 or bust. The apps aren't enough of an incentive to go for a lower leveled device. That's what caused me to pick HTC.

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well for me i wouldnot even consider a htc device because of the lousier hardware in them. Also Nokias app are the extra Cherry on top.

Mark Wright1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes and No
Everyone complains about the market place and that it needs to be bigger
with limited exclusives anyone wishing to invest their money (no return from market place) may do so, to gain sales short term.
-How does this hurt growth? it doesnt .... what it ends up doing is marginalizing competing apps that now miss out on a piece of the pie.
Long term it is not good if and only if it is a global service that everyone uses,

Nokia maps are available from here.net

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb