Exclusives are harmful to the WP8 Ecosystem.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I say that he exclusives are a real pain and harmful to the WP8 ecosystem.
It is OK if Nokia hands out apps free of charge to its customers, but it is bad if they monopolize these apps and keep HTC and Samsung and HUAWEI out of the loop.

People will not all want nor have the money to buy Nokia products, as pricing is dependent on where a product is being sold.

Microsoft should put some serious pressure on Nokia to make all apps available for purchase on all phones that support them! Same applies to all the other manufacturers.

We are missing apps, there will be no WP8 ecosystem if many good apps are only with Nokia.

What do you think?

darquan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia received my money as a turn by turn sat nav is very important to me and Nokia has Nokia Drive. If that was on the HTC or Samsung Nokia may not have made any money from me.

Read what you will from this

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Take into consideration that Nokia is paying for these apps. There is nothing stopping HTC, Samsung, etc from doing the same. Even further, that would help the platform and give developers more incentive to work with WP. Now I do agree that maybe they should do a free for Nokia customers and make then available for purchase to others, and maybe they will. Why not ask them?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
HTC, Samsung, etc had a 18 month head start on Nokia and did %^&* all. No investment in the platform software, no decent apps.

I don't see why Nokia should write their own apps, and make them available to other OEMs. If the OEMs can't be bothered, then its up to the user to decide whether the software package of an OEM is what they want.

With regards to third party apps, i've not seen a single one, that isn't a timed exclusive. If Nokia are paying for, or helping with the development of an app, i think they are fully in their rights to have a timed exclusive. Surely its better that everyone gets the apps eventually, than they don't appear at all.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You opened up an already opened can of worms OP. Don't bash Nokia or you will be burned at the stake here on WPCentral. lol. They love to jump on a Nokia naysayer. And I don't blame Nokia. I blame MSFT. Nokia is right for taking advantage of the gaping whole in the app ecosystem. If the door is open, walk through it.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
YAnd I don't blame Nokia. I blame MSFT. Nokia is right for taking advantage of the gaping whole in the app ecosystem

Depends how you look at it.

Should Microsoft really be the only ones who have to invest in the platform? Microsoft already throw money at some developers to bring their apps to the platform, doesn't mean HTC, Samsung, etc couldn't be doing the same.

Surely it would be better for all of us, if all the OEMs were following Nokia's lead, and they were all trying to bring apps to the platform. More apps should equal more sales.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Depends how you look at it.

Should Microsoft really be the only ones who have to invest in the platform? Microsoft already throw money at some developers to bring their apps to the platform, doesn't mean HTC, Samsung, etc couldn't be doing the same.

Surely it would be better for all of us, if all the OEMs were following Nokia's lead, and they were all trying to bring apps to the platform. More apps should equal more sales.
Why shouldn't they invest in their own platform....it's their platform. If not only Nokia get the apps then MSFT reaps the benefits from everyone getting the apps as well.Understand that not everyone wants a huge phone that Nokia has to offer, so the people who just want a smaller phone get left in the dust? I don't know a smartphone available that doesn't have navigation...except for the 8x now. What sense does that make microsoft? And there currently aren't any true navigation apps available. What gives?

EDIT: No FREE voice navigation apps. gmaps works...no voice. garmin works...29.99.....

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
What it "should" be is Microsoft getting the apps and inviting the OEM to share in the burden, and if not then the OEMs that chipped in get an exclusive. It is ms's os after all, but, if its open game then this is what you get and its justifiable. I appreciate that Nokia is going after apps aggressively as it increases opportunities for market share and devs. In the meantime, write HTC and Samsung, ask them wtf.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why shouldn't they invest in their own platform....it's their platform.

Microsoft already invest in their platform. Its already well publicised that apps like Angry Birds only got onto WP, because Microsoft threw big sums of money at the developers.

So, we know Microsoft is throwing money at developers, but why shouldn't the OEMs do so as well? HTC & Samsung spend huge amounts on making their Android devices different from the basic Android version released by Google. Why not spend comparible money bringing timed exclusives to their WP devices?

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I felt some exclusives are necessary, and some first party apps should be exclusive. However, MSFT should be the one who is pushing and paying other developers - apps like Bloomberg should not be exclusive, and if Bloomberg doesn't want to develop for WP, it should be MSFT who pays Bloomberg to do that. WP is Microsoft's product

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
WP is Microsoft's product

Ok lets imagine it a different way.

So, imagine how much better WP could be, if all the money Microsoft keep throwing at developers, was actually being spent on the OS itself.

So Microsoft get to concentrate on the OS, and the OEMs get to fight it out over timed exclusives. Surely its a win-win. The OS gets better faster, and the app eco-system improves due to competition between OEMs.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with the OP on the matter of exclusives and with cp2_4eva on the matter of being burned for criticising Nokia on this website.
I had a Lumia 800 then a 900 and now a 920 so I can't really complain about missing out on apps but Windows Phone is already catching up so really all forces should be unified to make it succeed. If tomorrow HTC releases Flipboard exclusive to their phones then the following day Samsung releases Instagram just for the ATIV S (just examples) I will be pretty pissed. Whatsapp is one of the worst apps on WP and it's already been announced that Lumia devices will get an exclusive, totally revamped and enhanced app. This is messed up. Everyone should be allowed to not use that POS that's today on the marketplace. I can't blame someone for not picking a Lumia if they find the 8X more appealing, as long as they get a WP device that's fine by me. Maybe that was the only phone offered by their carrier, or maybe it was a lot cheaper, whatever the reason they shouldn't be punished for not buying Nokia when they are using the same OS.
Yes Nokia puts resources into making these apps available but that's what they signed up for! They said they wanted to make Windows Phone the 3rd ecosystem so they should do it properly. The obvious way to do it is to offer these apps for free only on Lumia phones, I'm sure people would be fine with that as it's better than not having access at all to some apps.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I would be totally fine buying an app if it was that important to me. But to not have it at all, I'd say Nokia could have cashed in on that. Even if it was still offered 6 months behind them. But Nokia took the high road and probably stands to make more from devices rather than multiple apps. Who knows? Nobody.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If tomorrow HTC releases Flipboard exclusive to their phones then the following day Samsung releases Instagram just for the ATIV S (just examples) I will be pretty pissed.

Every exclusive 3rd party app is timed.

Given the choice, would you rather have, timed exclusives, or no app at all, because nobody bothered to pay Instagram/flipboard, and they had no interest in WP8.

I like the idea of exclusives being free on the OEM that paid, then paid for everyone else, but would that really differentiate between OEMs? A 3 month wait for an app is far more likely to push someone to a Nokia over someone else, rather than a $0.99 price on an app.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's so much easier to bash nokia than to hold htc or samsung accountable for not putting out as much effort towards apps, isn't it? But hey, I don't want to open a can of worms by pointing that out.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Differentiation is a lame excuse. How about differentiation through hardware? Hardware is the reason people are buying the 8X because it's a greatly designed phone regardless of what Nokia is offering on their side. Differentiation through 1st party apps is also fine but 3rd party not so much. 3, 6 or 12 months of exclusivity is a long time in the mobile world.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
At the OP, I do agree that it is bad for the ecosystem, but saying that people can not afford a nokia device, they tend to be more subsidized even no contract then HTC and Samsung. At&t is still subsidizing the phone at the $449 price.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's so much easier to bash nokia than to hold htc or samsung accountable for not putting out as much effort towards apps, isn't it?.

Thats why i'm pro OEM exclusives.

Having owned a HTC since launch, i think i looked in the HTC marketplace about twice. The only thing of interest, was when the "free" navigation turned up. But then that turned out to be a 1 month demo, before needing to pay ?20 or something for it. Yet i've only owned a Nokia about a week, and their marketplace has had 3 new apps appear.

To be fair, it shouldn't just be the OEMs. I'm paying a huge chunk of money to my telco as well. It would be nice to see them fighting for my money too.

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone of you guys here know that Nokia invests in R&D almost as much as Microsoft? Nokia invests more than Google in research. And guess what - Lumia 920 is product they offer with all the money they spend, which is as much hardware, as it is software and services (like costumer care). Nokia Lumia is the sum of all its parts and not only a part. That is exactly why they went exclusively with WP, because it adds to its identity and personality, differentiating it from the other "things". And to those who are angry at Nokia for bringing apps with a timed exclusivity: Remember that WP was a barren desert in App World before Nokia jumped in. After they joined WP everyone enjoys 100.000 apps. Is Nokia that bad??? Remember again that they invest as much money in R&D as Microsoft even though they have profitability problems. That is something to be appreciated. On the other hand HTC spends just 550 million $. That is why they are behind and not because of Nokia. I think that people should support Nokia and bash the other OEMs for not doing enogh, but the opposite happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)