Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

First off, I'm new here - so...hi!

Yes, I'm a cheater. For two years I developed apps for the iOS platform. Had a good deal of success. Most of my apps were in the sports team and sports scores arena.During in September last year, one of my apps was #2 overall in the sports category. But my relationship with Apple, it's just not working out. At night, I sneak away and find myself entertaining the siren song of superior development tools, superior coding platform, and frankly a better company to work with.

Apple and I butted heads a number of times. For those of you who don't know, they rule their store with an iron fist. They are really not developer friendly. And their IDE and platform of choice (objective C) are absolutely horrible to work with.

What does this mean for WP8 users? In short - the apps are coming. And they're coming fast.. Developing in C# on the .net platform is much preferred for developers. Working in Visual Studio 12 is a dream. But frankly we didn't take the Windows platform seriously until now. Microsoft didn't really step up to the plate with a unified vision or a serious marketing plan. And the hardware partners, until the Lumia 900, really weren't putting forth an effort that would bring developers on board. But when Nokia released the 900 - we started taking notice.

I've canceled my Apple iOS developer account. I've already had the break-up talk. I've pulled my apps from the store. And I'm packing up and moving all my efforts to WP8. I'm working on an app now that is currently an area completely unserviced by the Windows App Store. You all will see a lot of this in the coming months from many developers.

So just hang with Windows Phone. You'll be happy you did.
    Thanked by:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    aubreyq, Reflexx, rdubmu and 18 others like this.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    what apps do you have on apples appstore?

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    what apps do you have on apples appstore?
    I was gonna say the same thing

I pulled them now. But here's my old website for the apps:

iPhone Apps for Sports Fans - Ultimategameday.com and for seat sherpa: Stadium Seating Charts iPhone Application - Seat Sherpa

I also had a series of college basketball team apps and an NHL app that covered all 30 nhl teams. They had team and player twitter feeds, team specific and general news feeds, stadium info, schedules and score results, etc. Never got a website up for those.

But the app I'm working on for WP8 now is none of those things. I may port those over eventually, but I like trying new ideas out.

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bamagrad03 View Post

Yes, I'm a cheater. For two years I developed apps for the iOS platform. Had a good deal of success. Most of my apps were in the sports team and sports scores arena.During in September last year, one of my apps was #2 overall in the sports category. But my relationship with Apple, it's just not working out. At night, I sneak away and find myself entertaining the siren song of superior development tools, superior coding platform, and frankly a better company to work with.

Apple and I butted heads a number of times. For those of you who don't know, they rule their store with an iron fist. They are really not developer friendly. And their IDE and platform of choice (objective C) are absolutely horrible to work with.

What does this mean for WP8 users? In short - the apps are coming. And they're coming fast.. Developing in C# on the .net platform is much preferred for developers. Working in Visual Studio 12 is a dream. But frankly we didn't take the Windows platform seriously until now. Microsoft didn't really step up to the plate with a unified vision or a serious marketing plan. And the hardware partners, until the Lumia 900, really weren't putting forth an effort that would bring developers on board. But when Nokia released the 900 - we started taking notice.

I've canceled my Apple iOS developer account. I've already had the break-up talk. I've pulled my apps from the store. And I'm packing up and moving all my efforts to WP8. I'm working on an app now that is currently an area completely unserviced by the Windows App Store. You all will see a lot of this in the coming months from many developers.

This sounds GREAT, and we thank your cognizance of WP8! I'd also love to know which apps you've developed, and hopefully, you spread the idea to others! haha
    bamagrad03 likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

this post is like a breath of fresh air for alot of ppl. noone really knows what the future holds for windows phone and apps. your news and encouragement give the ppl wondering whats goin on, a sense of hope. thank you for taking the time to inform us.
    -Scienide- and bamagrad03 like this.

Be interesting to hear your views once you've been through the whole app development->release lifecycle, and see how different things are.

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Be interesting to hear your views once you've been through the whole app development->release lifecycle, and see how different things are.
    I'll be posting my experience here as I go along. I've got 10 years of .Net experience already in web development. So it's a really easy transition for me. Also, the fact that the WP8 platform is flexible enough to offer developers the HTML5 path instead of only some proprietary model for UI development, I think it allows porting of other apps from devs to be pretty easy.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Can't wait to see how things develop I hope you have a decent experience I made the switch to windows from WebOs which was a pretty cool place to develop apps from what most developers said our preware community was huge but a big problem was there weren't enough people using WebOs so not enough people buying apps to make developers stay. I feel like WP is just as unique of an experience as webos is which is why I love it and I plan to support it just like I support Webos by buying apps and not expecting every app to be free if us the users show we are willing to buy apps im sure will gain even more developers so thanks Bamagrad for making the move!
    Klevis likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,332 Global Posts
    How many apps that apple and android have that are really useful ? I have tried every platform except IOS and all of them including Microsoft have more useless then useful ones. "There's an App for That" is so true but in the end I am usually under 20 apps myself!

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    I made a list of all the apps I have grown to use on iOS before switching and compared that list to the WP Store. I found that there was an app for 50 of the 60 apps I used on a semi-regular basis. And of those 10, I am only really missing a handful.

The total numbers is a bogus metric. These apps that are for 1 book or 1 team (no offense to the OP) are a waste, IMO. Allow me to filter out the stuff I want in a more comprehensive app instead of just trying to flood the market with tiny apps.
    a5cent likes this.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    I made a list of all the apps I have grown to use on iOS before switching and compared that list to the WP Store. I found that there was an app for 50 of the 60 apps I used on a semi-regular basis. And of those 10, I am only really missing a handful.

The total numbers is a bogus metric. These apps that are for 1 book or 1 team (no offense to the OP) are a waste, IMO. Allow me to filter out the stuff I want in a more comprehensive app instead of just trying to flood the market with tiny apps.
    Also almost every newspaper and TV station in the country has an iOS app. I live in Pennsylvania so don't need a Texas TV station app. The total number of apps is bogus like you mentioned. Heck even my local shopping mall has an iOS app LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post

I think the metric is bogus, but there actually is a need for individual team apps. At least until they fix the searching and branding capabilities of comprehensive apps that use in-app purchases for specific content.

Fans of a certain thing identify with that thing being branded in concert with what they love. My experience in app sales was a perfect example of this. I had 1 NHL app that covered all 30 teams via in app purchases. I had 10 college basketball apps that were for individual teams. The basketball apps outsold the NHL app (in spite of its much larger potential market) 10 to 1. Because a generic catch-all app has to be all things to all users. Whereas a specific content app is something the user identifies with immediately.

However, to your point, I think when things like - 30 individual team apps for a single sport - are used to tout some mythical total apps in the app store number, it doesn't do any good. It also doesn't do any good to have those specific content apps show up in more general searches. Right now, Apple has no answer for that.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 

This is fantastic....
    Sent from my Red L920 using Board Express
    bamagrad03 likes this.

Global Posts
    33,011 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Hi and welcome to wpcentral! :)

I am so happy to see a new person here who is a developer.

I do not complain about lack of apps, since I previously owned a BlackBerry which has even fewer apps than Windows Phone.

That's also cool that you've already researched and decided to develop something new for Windows Phone that is not available in any other form. It would be cool if you were able to port your sports apps at a future time. However, it sounds like you have a great idea for your new app, and people will definitely notice if it's brand new.
    Thanked by:
    bamagrad03 likes this.

I would absolutely love that NHL app that follows teams/players :)
    bamagrad03 likes this.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    Also almost every newspaper and TV station in the country has an iOS app. I live in Pennsylvania so don't need a Texas TV station app. The total number of apps is bogus like you mentioned. Heck even my local shopping mall has an iOS app LOL!
    I couldn't agree with this more. Every time I visit a news web page, it prompts me to install their app just to read their site that I've viewing fine through a browser. For me, an app gives me something a web experience couldn't (like TuneIn, a game, etc.) or benefits from closer/tighter integration with my phone (Twitter, Facebook, Weather apps).

Also - glad to hear that the Windows Phone developer community is more developer friendly. I heard there was even a Microsoft 'app compatability' tool of some sort that allows developers to download and run their app through a local validation process to check for serious issues and get a really good idea if their app will be accepted through the MSFT submission process. Or is this just for WIndows 8 apps (not WP8)?

Global Posts
    33,011 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by burnerasc View Post
    I would absolutely love that NHL app that follows teams/players :)
    I could see where a hockey app would be on the back burner now. We need an actual NHL season first. There's no NHL team where I live, but I've always liked hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I could see where a hockey app would be on the back burner now. We need an actual NHL season first. There's no NHL team where I live, but I've always liked hockey.
    I went through this last year with the NFL strike/lockout. I had an NFL scores app that I had put a good bit of time into. And I kept thinking, these jerks are complaining about not making enough money and they have NO IDEA how many little guys like me are really getting shafted by their greed.

Thankfully it all worked out. But as a sports fan first, and an app developer second, the NHL lockout really saddens me. That sport took a huge step back after their last strike/lockout. I'm not sure they can recover if another season is lost.

Sorry for the sidebar.

Global Posts
    1,398 Global Posts
    Welcome aboard. I too am glad to see a new developer here. I'm not much of a sports fan, but I appreciate your efforts at helping push our platform ahead. I too came from webOS and loved it. This is the closest to it and I see WP having a better multi-platform. I look forward to hearing your progress updates.

Are you a "pleasure developer" or is this a full-time job for you?

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    Welcome to WP8 :) thanks for making the switch - I only use Fantasy apps when it comes to sports, unless your making/going to eventually make a NHL app :) either way, Ill buy whatever you put up to support you. (Headed to your site now to see if there is a sign up for email alerts when you update apps/app status)

thanks again :)
    I never really understood the OS wars - they're simply is no one perfect solution for all, just for you.

Did I help? don't forget to hit the Thanks and Like :)

Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Welcome aboard. I too am glad to see a new developer here. I'm not much of a sports fan, but I appreciate your efforts at helping push our platform ahead. I too came from webOS and loved it. This is the closest to it and I see WP having a better multi-platform. I look forward to hearing your progress updates.

Are you a "pleasure developer" or is this a full-time job for you?
    I currently do have an 8-5 gig as a software developer. I've been working with the .net platform and Microsoft stuff since the late 90s. But as blatantly capitalist as it may seem - I build apps that I like, but will certainly make money and not just for fun. I like bringing ideas to market that fill a void and are worth my efforts. I could just do contract work 20-30 hours a week, but I like the idea of unlimited potential and sort of controlling my own destiny.

App development satiates my entrepreneurial spirit while being flexible enough that I don't have to quit my job to do it. Before I locked horns with Apple and tasted their iron fist ruling, I was well on my way to being able to quit my job and do app stuff full time if I wanted. But in today's economy, that's a pretty scary move.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebaneeezor View Post
    Welcome to WP8 :) thanks for making the switch - I only use Fantasy apps when it comes to sports, unless your making/going to eventually make a NHL app :) either way, Ill buy whatever you put up to support you. (Headed to your site now to see if there is a sign up for email alerts when you update apps/app status)

thanks again :)
    Thanks for the support! I don't plan on doing a fantasy app, mainly because I crossed paths a few times with the guy who does the #1 fantasy app on iOS - Fantasy Monster. He ported over his app this year to WP, and I think he experienced a few bumps getting it perfect. But he releases updates fast and always puts out a good product. He's also a really great guy and offered me advice whenever I needed.

So I won't be stepping on his toes in the WP8 world. There's plenty of other places for me to get a piece of the pie.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    33,011 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I went through this last year with the NFL strike/lockout. I had an NFL scores app that I had put a good bit of time into. And I kept thinking, these jerks are complaining about not making enough money and they have NO IDEA how many little guys like me are really getting shafted by their greed.

Thankfully it all worked out. But as a sports fan first, and an app developer second, the NHL lockout really saddens me. That sport took a huge step back after their last strike/lockout. I'm not sure they can recover if another season is lost.

Sorry for the sidebar.
    I hear you! I do follow the NFL and NBA. It's all the other folks who get hurt when there's a strike: restaurant/bar employees, concession workers, parking lot people, app developers, etc.

It's not much of a loss for the owners and players as it is for everyone else. Not to mention young kids who might never take a liking to sports because they see it as a cut-throat business, not fun family experience.
    burnerasc likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast