Thoroughly enjoying my Verizon 8X!

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I am having a lot of fun with this phone. Physically it is VERY well made and feels light but still solid - no flimsiness. The screen is simply outstanding. The SLCD HTC uses is in my opinion better than Super AMOLED. I came to the 8X off of a Rezound and this display beats the Rezound (which isn't easy as the Rezound is noted for one of the best displays on a smartphone - period). I would say it is VERY similar to the One X display but the color mix seems a bit more accurate. Sound is excellent - crisp, clear and loud. Camera is also a killer.

As to the OS, the more I use it the more I like the ideas underlying it. I've concluded that Facebook, Twitter and Instagram apps are unnecessary. The social functions in the People hub cover all needed items except Instagram, which is covered in the camera itself - just share pictures with FB. If I want to doctor them the Photo Enhancer does a lot of nice things. In fact, one you get used to the way WP "thinks" a lot of formerly complex things get simple. To put it briefly - in the WP world you look for the person first and what you want to do with that person next. In iOS and Android it is the other way around.

Email is really powerful in this OS and the Calendar app and Live Tile work very well. So does the Messaging app/Tile. In Email I have Office 365, Live.com and Gmail all playing together with no issues.

Music I would up (after experimentation) using MusicBee (/http://getmusicbee.com/). It worked like a dream and was surprisingly fast and easy.

The only area where I still have a quibble is the lack of text reflow in IE and no PDF reader with reflow. Thus far I have simply mass converted my PDFs to docx format, which works beautifully because Word Mobile DOES have reflow.

Now I admit I came into 8 with prior WP experience (I had a Trophy for a bit so used WP7). I recommend all new users go here:

Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Watch all the videos (yes there are a fair number) - they're pretty good and will give you a general background on the way things work in WP and how to do a lot of things.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm jealous that us ATT folks don't have data sense. How is that working for you?

Data Sense so far is doing well. It is accurately prompting me to go to WiFi if the hotspot is there and I need to supply credentials. If I have the creds already supplied (like my home WiFi) it just automatically switches over - even if I have the WiFi turned off. Nice feature overall - the measureing appears accurate and I can even set custom timeframes and measuring periods.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense so far is doing well. It is accurately prompting me to go to WiFi if the hotspot is there and I need to supply credentials. If I have the creds already supplied (like my home WiFi) it just automatically switches over - even if I have the WiFi turned off. Nice feature overall - the measureing appears accurate and I can even set custom timeframes and measuring periods.

You can set WP8 to just tll you when there are wifi connections available and you are on mobile data. I thought the killer feature of data sense was that it accurately and actively monitors how much data you are actually using.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes Data Sense does that. and it is indeed actively monitoring my usage and doing so very accurately. I was simply mentioning some of the fringe benefits of Data Sense (like mapping WiFi hotspots, telling you when one is available, auto logging you in if it knows an available one and so on.

rgba32bit

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Really liking mine too(8X). No issues. I was only missing Pandora until I for Metroradio the 3rd party Pandora app. One note turning off NFC is a huge battery saver.

Spong3rs

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with everything the OP said, and more. Coming from a long time Android user who loves the customizability of it, this 8X and WP8 is absolutely amazing. My battery life is amazing (got 12.5➕ hours yesterday while at Disneyland), and the phone is super smooth and great. Love it.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Another happy 8X user here. Loving it so far. Had it since Nov 2nd in the UK and its been rock solid since day one. Minor niggles with the music player and the artist artwork thing but generally everything is great. Haven't missed my iPhone at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon