Please Help: Why is there no Advanced Wifi Settings? Can't connect to Enterprise Wifi!

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Where are the advanced server/domain settings for connecting to a wifi network like an enterprise network?

When I try to join the enterprise network it has found or when I search for it manually all I get is a box for a password. This is not good enough for my network as I need to enter a domain and username to authenticate who that password is for.

On my iPhone you would try just the password the first time and it would fail and then give you additional options. It was a pain in the ass but would work eventually. I can't get any additional options here.

I have tried:

1) The windows phone support site says that I have to enable an option to Validate Server Certificate and then tap Choose Certificate to select a certificate that is installed. I assume that is then supposed to give me the advanced fields that are required. I can't find these options anywhere...

2) I manually obtained the security certificate from my IT guys, emailed it to myself, opened it on my phone, and WP8 recognized it and installed the certificate but this still doesn't give me access to any additional options for my network.

3) Called Nokia Canada support and they showed me the existing options that I can already find but seem to have no idea about advanced server/domain settings.

This is embarassing. Shouldn't Windows Phone be able to connect to windows powered networks with ease? Did Rogers restrict wifi options somehow?

Please help!

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ben, it may be on your network side. I work in an enterprise windows environment and I was automatically prompted for a user id and password right away. Using domain\userName and password I was able to connect automatically. I have had issues with other mobile devices but with my 920 it was easy.

With that said, I work at a medical institution and a lot of effort is made to ensure doctors don't waste time fiddling with their mobile phones to connect. I think some of how easy this is depends upon how your network is set up. And that applies to how iOS and Android connect also.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same as Konger - I was prompted for a password, then it asked for the domain, no problem connecting, large enterprise network.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So you entered just a password first and it failed then prompted you for a domain/username?

That's how it worked on my iPhone and what I'd like to see on my Lumia. Not sure why its not prompting me for additional information. My IT guy suggested I need to install the security certificate for our server on my phone. I managed to do that but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I have no idea what our IT guys could do differently on their end. Anyone have any additional insight?

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Depending on your network type wp8 does not support it. We have an EAP-TTLS network at work and there simply is no support. So even if I install the server certificate I am out of luck... at least for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre