WP notifications are a mess

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded from Lumia 800 to Lumia 920 since a couple of weeks. All good, love the phone love the platform but for the love of me the notifications are dreadful. I mean, some work fine like Whatsapp (wich my group of friends, with androids, iphones and wp, use), but for example facebook's are a disaster. Some come through, others don't, a few days later, a few hours later, who knows. Then after you see them they don't disappear from the tile etc. Facebook notifications being a mess is really incomprehensible because they come through fine on the integrated Facebook (on the Me tile), but not on the app. Also, the fact that now the app supports the new WP8 lockscreen notifications, makes it even more unnerving, because they can never be trusted. What gives?

And please, don't give me the "who cares if you miss the notificaion saying that your mom liked your cat pic" because it's not about that, is about the service not working properly and me convincing friends to switch (because they are indeed impressed with the Lumia 920 and WP in general) and then being disappointing because notifications on the iphone worked sooo much better!

My second grip is the new integrated Skype. All good and fine, except the notifications are a chaos too. I love that it's always on,the thing is that at work we also use skype, so I was curious to see how the notifications were going to be handled when I have skype on on my work PC. To my surprise the messages were not popping as toast notifications on the phone beginning of the week, so I was wow cool, so it knows i have client on the pc too so it doesn't bother me. Wrong. Now all of a sudden today, without changing anything at all, toasts popup all the time when somebody chats with me on the PC. Madness.

Also, i don't think it's only on windows phone. At home I have windows 8 and I had to uninstall the metro app, because it was madness too. messages would popup on the phone and pc at random/different times, messages from the afternoon or before would start popping-up like mad after the contact i chatted with before came online etc.

Anyone has similar/different experience with notifications on WP (or windows 8 for that matter?). I think that more than the lack of certain apps (like instagram, spotify etc) on the platform, it's this broken notifications that bothers me the most.

Cheers,
Luis

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
To clear facebook notifications after viewing them in the app, back out via the back button. Works for me everytime. If I just press the windows button to go to the home screen, they stay on the tile and lockscreen.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised you think the notifications are a mess coming from the L800, to me they are the same except for facebook, I do understand that skype needs work but really it isn't integrated. I don't get notifications when somebody is calling me and I am not in the app. I know this will most likely be fixed.

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised you think the notifications are a mess coming from the L800, to me they are the same except for facebook, I do understand that skype needs work but really it isn't integrated. I don't get notifications when somebody is calling me and I am not in the app. I know this will most likely be fixed.
Oh no sorry, you misunderstood me. This is a Windows Phone rant, not a Lumia WP8 rant. Maybe I wasn't clear. The notifications are as bad as they were before, I'm ranting now because I thought with WP8 they'd be better, specially with "integration"of skype etc.

Yeah, and there you go, contrary to you I do get the call notifications just fine all the time. I do know skype is labelled BETA, but still...

j i AmnesiAc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the Facebook and Skype notifications not being all that great. Seeing as Skype is still in beta hopefully it will only get better. I too use Skype at work and the tile count for messages has been very inconstant at best. You mention toast notifications, I have not even seen those. I hope they add an option to disable the tile count if you have Skype running on your PC, or something to that effect.

What gets me about that Facebook notifications is that if you view the messages through the Me tile they don't seem to clear from the Facebook app if you have the tile count on. That and I love how the Me tile/app groups notifications together (person x, y and z commented on you whatever) but the Facebook app does not seem to do this. What makes it even more odd is the fact that both apps are produced by Microsoft. I could understand these inconsistencies if Facebook designed their own app but they don't.

o well, in the long run it does not really matter as I don't use FB all that often...but I do hope they improve Skype or just fully integrate it into the OS, that would be even better me thinks.

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the Facebook and Skype notifications not being all that great. Seeing as Skype is still in beta hopefully it will only get better. I too use Skype at work and the tile count for messages has been very inconstant at best. You mention toast notifications, I have not even seen those. I hope they add an option to disable the tile count if you have Skype running on your PC, or something to that effect.

What gets me about that Facebook notifications is that if you view the messages through the Me tile they don't seem to clear from the Facebook app if you have the tile count on. That and I love how the Me tile/app groups notifications together (person x, y and z commented on you whatever) but the Facebook app does not seem to do this. What makes it even more odd is the fact that both apps are produced by Microsoft. I could understand these inconsistencies if Facebook designed their own app but they don't.

o well, in the long run it does not really matter as I don't use FB all that often...but I do hope they improve Skype or just fully integrate it into the OS, that would be even better me thinks.

precisely, both developed by MS so why such a different behavior? For example, to use the example you just gave, if you see a notification on the me tile, it won't clean the notification on the facebook app, but it WILL immediately clean the notification on Facebook's page! So why isn't this behavior on the facebook app? So random!

But again you see it's fine that you don't use facebook and you don't care much about it, but there's 1 billion users, and this is a factor for a vast majority of them, and says something about the quality of a platform and most people will take this factor into account.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Most of the apps that are built by Microsoft aren't actually built by Microsoft. They are farmed out to companies like Identity Mine and Clarity Consulting. That could explain why there are some behavioral differences.

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I can't get any facebook notifications to even work on my Lumia 920. I have enabled toast and push notifications for everything from the fb settings page, selected fb from lock screen settings but nothing shows up. I don't think it's updating when not running, because when I launch the fb tile it just updates and shows me the updates. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb