waivering on making the change to WP8 from iOS

thor_molecules

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
There are easier ways to make a call than that method. I don't know why you would do it that way. But if the phone's not for you, nobody knows better than you. At least you gave it a shot.

Natively? I tried Rap Dialer and a few others, didn't care for it. And voice command doesn't work reliably enough to be the primary means for making calls.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Natively? I tried Rap Dialer and a few others, didn't care for it. And voice command doesn't work reliably enough to be the primary means for making calls.

from ur steps im guessing u don't have people hub pinned to the home screen? because thats what the address book button takes u to, and if u know who u want to call u can tap the alphabet to bring up a alphabet shortcut that takes u to where that contact should be (ie. A for Andy)

but thats really for the less used contacts, for contacts you often use u can create groups then pin it to the home screen, and for contacts u call constantly u can pin them directly to the home screen

[EDIT]
just thought id add these too

"-Erratic 'back' button behavior. Not sure if this is a bug, or just poor design but I noticed if an app is in the background for awhile and then you resume it, hitting back will CLOSE the app instead of going back to the previous menu. Maddening, to say the least."

this doesn't happen to me and from what i observed alot of people actually mistake a left/right swipe as switching menu, which it isn't, so it seems like u are "backing" to the previous menu where it actually should have been a left/right swipe... just guessing though since i didn't see u do it

i don't use fb app so i can't tell u much, the people hub is more than enough for me

the rest i don't know, bluetooth works fine with my car so im not sure what the issue ur car's bluetooth is, i did read news that there is a patch coming in the next few days that will fix some of those issues

VPN i just heard that it's coming, no sure when though

thor_molecules

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
from ur steps im guessing u don't have people hub pinned to the home screen? because thats what the address book button takes u to, and if u know who u want to call u can tap the alphabet to bring up a alphabet shortcut that takes u to where that contact should be (ie. A for Andy)

but thats really for the less used contacts, for contacts you often use u can create groups then pin it to the home screen, and for contacts u call constantly u can pin them directly to the home screen

[EDIT]
just thought id add these too

"-Erratic 'back' button behavior. Not sure if this is a bug, or just poor design but I noticed if an app is in the background for awhile and then you resume it, hitting back will CLOSE the app instead of going back to the previous menu. Maddening, to say the least."

this doesn't happen to me and from what i observed alot of people actually mistake a left/right swipe as switching menu, which it isn't, so it seems like u are "backing" to the previous menu where it actually should have been a left/right swipe... just guessing though since i didn't see u do it

i don't use fb app so i can't tell u much, the people hub is more than enough for me

the rest i don't know, bluetooth works fine with my car so im not sure what the issue ur car's bluetooth is, i did read news that there is a patch coming in the next few days that will fix some of those issues

VPN i just heard that it's coming, no sure when though

1) I suppose creating a group of favorites would have been helpful, but it still seems to me like the Phone app needs to be updated. Many other users on this forum have noted that dialing is not intuitive, and people won't always think to create & pin groups to make up for that shortcoming.

2) The back button funkiness is difficult to nail down because (again), I'm not sure how it is supposed to behave. For all I know, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to and we the users need to adjust.

3) Bluetooth issues are well documented throughout this forum as well. I'd venture to say that you are extremely lucky to not have had any issues.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
3) Bluetooth issues are well documented throughout this forum as well. I'd venture to say that you are extremely lucky to not have had any issues.

just to clarify, so i don't sound like a prick, i meant that i don't know what's causing these bluetooth issues, but i do know there are problems with it for WP8, and just added that the change log for the new update sounds like they fixed some of the problems with bluetooth, according to wpcentral's news anyways (i don't always type what i want to say correctly and clearly :p)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you don't like the changes that came with Windows 8 and aren't willing to adapt to it, you might as well go all in with Apple, because Microsoft isn't going to change it, as well they shouldn't.

I love WP8 but have mixed feelings about Windows 8 on a traditional desktop. I don't think they really compare with each other.

I came from an iPhone 4 and I've really enjoyed my Lumia 920. The main reason I switched was to get a bigger screen and to be on a more innovative platform.

The lack of apps isn't as bad as what most people say. In fact I think there are some outstanding developers in the WP community. You just need to find the equivalent apps. Sometimes the official app isn't there but someone else wrote a replacement that is better than the original on iOS/android.

The thing WP8 excels at is handling email, people, history, office apps and cloud integration with SkyDrive.

My biggest disappointment has been the loss of airplay and airprint.

thor_molecules

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
just to clarify, so i don't sound like a prick, i meant that i don't know what's causing these bluetooth issues, but i do know there are problems with it for WP8, and just added that the change log for the new update sounds like they fixed some of the problems with bluetooth, according to wpcentral's news anyways (i don't always type what i want to say correctly and clearly :p)

No worries dude. I did see that Portico should fix the Bluetooth issues with WP8.

Thanks for your help.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As for the syncing with a macbook. A lot of people ARE NOT going into file in the windows phone mac client and allowing access to the folder they want to sync music to. I'm not sure why this is but it was not syncing for me and now it is. I have a macbook air that now works properly with my windows phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett