Thank you WPCentral

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i sadly returned my lumia 920 to at&t yesterday. i had been wrestling with the thought because i love the device. nokia in my opinion did a very good job with the device's craftsmanship. but i just couldnt get past not having the apps that i liked on my android. i love power amp pro. it is to me, the best music player in any app store. there's nothing that comes close to it for windows phone 8. i love mx player pro. it plays every video format under the sun, and does it well. there's no app like that for windows phone 8. i love playing words with friends, and while there's an app for that for windows phone, the windows phone app is sluggish and laggy and sometimes it locks up. there's a couple other apps that just make my cell phone experience a lil better that windows phone doesnt have yet.

now please please dont get me wrong, i'm not writing this to bash windows phone AT ALL. i love the platform, i was amazed at how smooth it is. i didnt have any hiccups or lag within the OS. and if you had an issue with your phone it was so easy to reboot or even restore your phone. i dont see android doing that. i'm mainly writing this to say thank you to wpcentral. i came here when i knew i was going to get a windows phone and this site has been great. there are alot of good articles here. the ppl are very helpful (aside from the occasional hate threads, but if you have haters then you're doing something right, right?). the mods actually try to help you and listen to you.

in the future i will revisit windows phone when i can do some research to see how the app store has come along and what i can get thats like what i have with android. i really hope windows phone takes off and developers jump on board. this can be an even better OS. but right now for me it's just not everything that i want.

again thank you for being a great site and i hope to see it continue to grow. god bless.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame to see that after trying WP you weren't able to stick it out. I'm presuming that you can't wait for these apps. And you've got WWF? That's a one-up over my HTC WP7... Of course that fad has mostly died out now, however there are plenty of other fads that are Android/iOS only. WP needs to jump on board these fads as they're growing and get them on that platform.

Oh and be careful, I'm expecting you get flamed into oblivion and back for this post...

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
No flaming here. I'm glad you liked the platform, sad that the apps you want are currently not available. Maybe we'll see you again in the future.

And hey, just because you're leaving WP for now doesn't mean you have to leave this site!!!
Just sayin'. ;)
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You could get a Nexus 7 for the apps, that's what I have. Keep it for media consumption.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone light-up this thread? tebugg is very honest and considerate. Its difficult coming from much more mature platforms. My issue is the way some ppl express there frustration.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I for one appreciate not only the honesty but the fact that you came to try out the platform. Let me warn you, though, that Windows Phone will NEVER be the same platform that Android is. Android is wide open and developers can do many things that we can't do on Windows Phone. Some of that is for stability, some for security, and some (for now) is just for the immaturity of the platform. But when you've got a secure platform and you compare it to a wide open platform, there will always be things that can't be done on the secure platform. I prefer to compare the old Windows Mobile platform to Android than Windows Phone. I used to hack and put new ROMs on my old Windows Mobile phones all the time, but not so on my Windows Phones. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that is what Android represents to me.

That being said, my hope is that Microsoft will give us ways to work around that without sacrificing security. I like what the platform has become, and look forward to what it will be, and I can understand those who aren't wanting to wait around for that to happen. I appreciate your willingness to revisit the platform in the future. I believe you will see an increase in the number of apps, and in what those apps do for a couple of reasons. First, Windows Phone has the best set of tools to develop with, and there are lots more people who already use those tools on other platforms, so as the platform becomes more popular, they will be more willing to give it a shot. Second, with Windows Phone 8, native code is now available, which means that cross-platform sharing of code is easier. For the layman, that means it's easier for someone to port an app from one platform to another. And here is a thread started by an iOS developer who goes into more detail why he will be coming to the Windows Phone Store, and why he has ALREADY closed his iOS storefront.

Anyway, thanks for trying Windows Phone, I'm sorry it didn't work out, but we'll look forward to the next time you give it a shot. And again, thanks for giving it an honest shot. In this world of blind brand loyalty, it's good to see someone willing to take the chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte