Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    This is so great! I (i meant We) hope M$ will make it come true! 😊

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Great concept! I think it would be cool if the "chat bubble" next to each notification only showed new, unread notifications. That way you know which ones you haven't gotten to yet, and the ones without the chat bubble stay in the list to present a sort of "time-line" for your received notifications. Just my two cents, but great work and I would love to see Microsoft incorporate something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Saljen View Post
    Great concept! I think it would be cool if the "chat bubble" next to each notification only showed new, unread notifications. That way you know which ones you haven't gotten to yet, and the ones without the chat bubble stay in the list to present a sort of "time-line" for your received notifications. Just my two cents, but great work and I would love to see Microsoft incorporate something like this!
    That's how it is supposed to work. As I explained earlier in the post, the "mark all as read" menu item resets the counter for all apps, and removes the bubbles so you know when you have new notifications pending.

Well done, now if we could find a way for the policy makers to "take the time" to notice your well thought out examples. I have voted for this in the past.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I like this but it's got one big problem, you cannot combine notifications from a single app and show a number. This simply repeats the problem that live tiles have. Each notification is it's own record and I need to be able to see what the toast from my app was 3 toasts ago. If you combine them, it's useless. Notification center is key for seeing a timeline of events, showing the most recent is already accomplished by the home screen.

How hard would it be to have a tri-coloured LED (blink intermittently).
    Green = fully charged
    Red = Low Battery
    Orange = Missed call, Message or SMS

Nothing worse than having to turn you phone on to see if you missed anything. That's one of the things I liked about the BB10 along with being able to switch and or terminate tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentTheGreat View Post
    That's how it is supposed to work. As I explained earlier in the post, the "mark all as read" menu item resets the counter for all apps, and removes the bubbles so you know when you have new notifications pending.
    Firstly your idea is really nice, clean and simple.

Regarding the 'Mark all as read' should just fade of old notifications... and still should be clickable (May be used as a shortcut to launch the app).
    This way, none of the apps would not need to be changed again (Already tired of missing apps from WP7 :( ).
    Reason is Notification center would also be a place to indicate past events (with some row limit); This way WP might avoid some patent trolls.

And Lastly, A shortcut ('W' + '<--') should get the user to this Notification center at any point in time.
    It's really well designed but I still think it should be accessible from anywhere, not just the start screen. What if, whenever you went to the multitasking view, the card to the right of your card was the notification pane? Accessible from everywhere, doesn't conflict with paradigms and easy to add in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus1976 View Post
    I like this but it's got one big problem, you cannot combine notifications from a single app and show a number. This simply repeats the problem that live tiles have. Each notification is it's own record and I need to be able to see what the toast from my app was 3 toasts ago. If you combine them, it's useless. Notification center is key for seeing a timeline of events, showing the most recent is already accomplished by the home screen.
    I think you missed the point. Tapping each item there would open a list of all toast messages from that certain app. The numbers only show how many new toast messages you have missed. Tapping the item would show you the list, and clear the "balloon". This system keeps an archive of all toast messages; they are not deleted after you view them.

Also, the app that produced the most recent toast message would go to the top of the list (as is evidenced by the time stamp below each item) which would still show you which one is the most recent.

Quote Originally Posted by codoz57 View Post
    How hard would it be to have a tri-coloured LED (blink intermittently).
    Green = fully charged
    Red = Low Battery
    Orange = Missed call, Message or SMS

Nothing worse than having to turn you phone on to see if you missed anything. That's one of the things I liked about the BB10 along with being able to switch and or terminate tasks.
    What if the white lights behind the Home, Back and Search "breathe" slowly when you have a new event pending ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagarjuna Reddy View Post
    Firstly your idea is really nice, clean and simple.

Regarding the 'Mark all as read' should just fade of old notifications... and still should be clickable (May be used as a shortcut to launch the app).
    This way, none of the apps would not need to be changed again (Already tired of missing apps from WP7 :( ).
    Reason is Notification center would also be a place to indicate past events (with some row limit); This way WP might avoid some patent trolls.

And Lastly, A shortcut ('W' + '<--') should get the user to this Notification center at any point in time.
    As I mentioned in the post, after viewing the list of toast messages by tapping on app's name, the app will stay in the list, allowing you to see the archive of messages it produced. Viewing the notifications just removes the balloons so you can know when you have new notifications you haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by onedrummer2401 View Post
    It's really well designed but I still think it should be accessible from anywhere, not just the start screen. What if, whenever you went to the multitasking view, the card to the right of your card was the notification pane? Accessible from everywhere, doesn't conflict with paradigms and easy to add in.
    It is justified for the Back button to open the multitasking view, because the Back button's job is to take you through different apps and hubs you viewed. But why would the Back button get you to the notification center? They are not semantically related.

I really don't think the notification center needs to be accessible from everywhere. That might be the case with Android because it doesn't show you toast messages; however, in Windows Phone if you are using your phone, you see the toast message when something happens. If you are not using it, the phone is most likely locked which would be showing the lock screen notifications (the 5 icons) or is in the home screen -- and the notification center will be quickly accessible from there.

Now if they implemented the "breathing" notification LED idea (the LED behind the Home button would be breathing if there are new, unseen toasts) then the user would know they have new notification no matter where in the UI they are.

You sir, just showed me the most beautiful notification system of all the mobile OSes I've seen so far, thank you for that!
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Another cool way to access the notifications may be to add the same idea to the actual toasts (not sure if this was mentioned). as a new notification arrives while your using the phone. tap to enter that notification, swipe left to dismiss (just from the screen, keep the notification as unread)...but add a swipe the other way to go to the same notification center. This way the full center is accessible while your using your phone and not at the homescreen. The only time you'd want this functionality is when a new notification appears anyways...
    AgentTheGreat likes this.

Hi AgentTheGreat, firstly, great work! :)

I wonder if you want your Notification Centre to be accessible within an app? My only concern is, if so then the swipe gesture would need to start from the left edge of the screen. Personally I think this gesture should be saved for switching between apps just like what you do with WinRT tablets.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JustinXinLiu View Post
    Hi AgentTheGreat, firstly, great work! :)

I wonder if you want your Notification Centre to be accessible within an app? My only concern is, if so then the swipe gesture would need to start from the left edge of the screen. Personally I think this gesture should be saved for switching between apps just like what you do with WinRT tablets.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Firstly, thanks very much!

As I said before, I don't think the notification center needs to be accessible from anywhere other than the home screen because Windows Phone supports toast messages that tell you the whole story when you are within an app. Swiping on a toast message to get to the notification center might be a good idea though -- as one of the guys pointed out above.
    About the task switching: I think that is more feasible on a rather large tablet but on a 4 or 5 inch phone I think swiping from edges when you are in an app would create some major issues, because swiping gestures that are expected to be registered by the app for scrolling, for example, would get confused by the system as app switching gestures. You can imagine how frustrating that can become! Now adding a 'charms' bar to the top of the UI would work well, because the gesture is unlikely to get registered as something else.
    Thanked by:
    JustinXinLiu likes this.

Shut up and take my money!

Very nice work. Well done.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I hope Microsoft is lurking in this thread :)

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Great Idea !

and really hoping this to be one of the implementations in near future :)

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    everything looks great besides the fact we dont want just a notification center that can only be accessed by the homescreen we want a notification center we can access from any app like a pull down notifcation center or something accessable from other apps and locations on the device.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    I've chucked in 3 votes myself. Good idea.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pnhd View Post
    swype them away individually or check them all like in the concept above.
    also have notifications accessible directly from the lockscreen like nokia did in meego.
    and a little bit off-topic but please some tile grouping on the home screen just like in win8
    I like your idea about having the notification center being directly accessible from the lockscreen so that you can perform the same action of swiping to the left just as you would on the homescreen with the ability to click on a notification which takes you directly to that app you chose. Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by cadeross View Post
    everything looks great besides the fact we dont want just a notification center that can only be accessed by the homescreen we want a notification center we can access from any app like a pull down notifcation center or something accessable from other apps and locations on the device.
    I really don't think the notification center needs to be accessible from everywhere. That might be the case with Android because it doesn't show you toast messages; however, in Windows Phone if you are using your phone, you see the toast message when something happens. If you are not using it, the phone is most likely locked which would be showing the lock screen notifications (the 5 icons) or is in the home screen -- and the notification center will be quickly accessible from there.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Actually, many a time I have swiped up and unlocked the phone and it automatically returns to the app, not going to the homescreen. This would cause the issues described by it, say I missed a toat. My suggestion, long press the home button to automatically go to the notification centre. This creates the one press people are accustomed to, without using the plain Android/iOS-esque dropdown notification centre. Or perhaps a right to left swipe on the system bar (whatever it's called, the row of icons at the top. I've read about the name through my app development, but it eludes me currently), but this has the issue of apps that don't show the app bar but I will probably make it visible everywhere on WP8 due to the changes of the panorama view on WP8 (but I know other developers won't, perhaps MS could force it on WP8?)... Also, I don't have all apps posted on my lock-screen. I have Calendar on detailed view, then Call, Skype, Messaging, Email, and Battery Meter, on the quick view for the Lockscreen. What about other apps? You can't exactly expect me to constantly cycle between the apps on the lockscreen can you? And what if I cycle out the Skype app and then get a notification on Skype?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    I have been saying the same, notifications area to the left. My Logic was Past, Present, Future... Notifications, Live Tiles, Apps I can run.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast