Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree65Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Actually, many a time I have swiped up and unlocked the phone and it automatically returns to the app, not going to the homescreen. This would cause the issues described by it, say I missed a toat. My suggestion, long press the home button to automatically go to the notification centre. This creates the one press people are accustomed to, without using the plain Android/iOS-esque dropdown notification centre. Or perhaps a right to left swipe on the system bar (whatever it's called, the row of icons at the top. I've read about the name through my app development, but it eludes me currently), but this has the issue of apps that don't show the app bar but I will probably make it visible everywhere on WP8 due to the changes of the panorama view on WP8 (but I know other developers won't, perhaps MS could force it on WP8?)... Also, I don't have all apps posted on my lock-screen. I have Calendar on detailed view, then Call, Skype, Messaging, Email, and Battery Meter, on the quick view for the Lockscreen. What about other apps? You can't exactly expect me to constantly cycle between the apps on the lockscreen can you? And what if I cycle out the Skype app and then get a notification on Skype?
    Your argument still comes from the assumption that the notifications are so vital and critical, that you need to have instant access to them; so much so that you would need to "cycle through lock screen notifications" to know what's going on. I have a more lenient take on the concept. I think people have been getting by even with live tiles acting as sort of a notification center. We already have so many nay-sayers claiming "WP doesn't need a notification center." Therefore, to me, not being able to instantly access the NC doesn't seem such a big deal and I think between the live tiles, the lock screen icons and an archive of toast messages we got it covered. I think the assumption comes from people's observation f how it works on Android and later, iOS -- which of course doesn't have to work that way.
    The breathing LED (behind the Windows button) when you have new notifications would be an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    I have been saying the same, notifications area to the left. My Logic was Past, Present, Future... Notifications, Live Tiles, Apps I can run.
    Actually that is a pretty neat way of looking at it. I didn't notice the chronological order that makes it even more organized.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Still like the pull down notification center. Its the most effective aside from the new bb one

Give me this please :D
    I appreciate your work, I really do, but I think that is too far from the Windows tile idea. I know they need some kind of notification center, but that doesn't mean it has to be so big or detailed.
    From my point of view live tiles are great, and for notification I would go for a non-intrusive way like a small icon of the app with a number next to it, placed near the bar signals of GSM connection.
    So for example you get a notification of something that has arrived, you just swipe up the screen look at the top bar where the GSM connection is, you see the icon of the app which received something then you know which tile you have to check. Simple as that!

Regarding your idea of the notification it basically ruin the live tile idea. What's the point of having a live tile if you have the message/information already in the notification center? Nobody will look at the live tiles anymore, they will be just for design and gizmo looking.

There should be a notifications FAQ...

Because if you don't have a Live Tile for a particular app in the Start screen that gets a notification, you will miss that notification.

Quote Originally Posted by Florin Anghel View Post
    I appreciate your work, I really do, but I think that is too far from the Windows tile idea. I know they need some kind of notification center, but that doesn't mean it has to be so big or detailed.
    From my point of view live tiles are great, and for notification I would go for a non-intrusive way like a small icon of the app with a number next to it, placed near the bar signals of GSM connection.
    So for example you get a notification of something that has arrived, you just swipe up the screen look at the top bar where the GSM connection is, you see the icon of the app which received something then you know which tile you have to check. Simple as that!

Regarding your idea of the notification it basically ruin the live tile idea. What's the point of having a live tile if you have the message/information already in the notification center? Nobody will look at the live tiles anymore, they will be just for design and gizmo looking.
    The notification center would be a place where you look only when you need detailed and precise information about what has been going on in a chronological order, including toast messages you might have missed. Right now there is no way for you to see an archive of toast messages that might have been very important but you missed. Also, even if you have the app tile pinned to the home screen and it is in fact showing that you have new notifications, there is no guarantee the app developer decides to show you an archive of toasts his app produced over time.
    Add to that the fact that you would have to visit those apps individually instead of having a single, convenient place to look and know exactly what has been going on.

The tiles, I think, give you a look into the content that's interesting to you while the notification center is a more technical place primarily focusing on alerts based on which you might need to take some sort of action. I think it's obvious the notification center provides a necessary service; whether it interferes with what live tiles do is another story.
    Again I think you're not following Windows Phone 8 Live Tile idea. This is what I like at this OS that is no bundled up with all the info from 100 apps in one place. It's more refreshing to see each app separated with its own info. I don't like when people lean towards android..the drop down bar or the side menu notification center..I just don't like it. This is why I bought WP8 and I hope MS doesn't get tricked by the people that want smth that is already there.

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    Again I think you're not following Windows Phone 8 Live Tile idea. This is what I like at this OS that is no bundled up with all the info from 100 apps in one place. It's more refreshing to see each app separated with its own info. I don't like when people lean towards android..the drop down bar or the side menu notification center..I just don't like it. This is why I bought WP8 and I hope MS doesn't get tricked by the people that want smth that is already there.
    sorry but I'm not pinning alot if third party tiles, THEY don't follow the metro theme. Its either metro theme tiles or you don't get your ugly typical blown up graphic tile on my home screen.
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag

www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV

I can see why some people wish to not have an iOS or Android-style notification center. I, however, do. I use very few apps. I use my phone as, one, a phone, two, as a texter, and three, as an emailer. There are many times in the day that I'm working in the shop, with either coolant or oil from the milling machines on my hands, gloves with resin on them, or just plain in a position not to press the lock button and swipe up, go to the home screen, then launch the app to find out what just happened. I can get 10 emails a minute sometimes.

I just got my Lumia 920 two days ago after four years on the iPhone. I would like to see what is happening in real time, not hear a beep and a buzz to start handling my phone. It most certainly is possible for MS to add this to WP8.1, but I would think, and hope, someone with better programming skills than this Mechanical Engineer has, would be able to make a third party app to accomplish this. I'd pay $10, $20, who cares how much for this (well executed) option. If 90% of the WP users don't want it, no soiling of the WP experience will ever be noticed.

Agent the Great has the graphics, who can do the coding?

AFAIK Aren't the live tiles supposed to be the notficiation center?

I.E. you get a notification. This shows up now as a number on your live tiles, next to whichever app/tile the notification was for. If you use large tiles then you get more detailed information.

It hasn't been a big issue for me to simply "hit the home screen" once I get several notifications in and then check my live tiles to see exactly what I got. It's the same purpose as this notification center idea, except all it does is require me to go to my home page. Thats why there is no notification hub built in - it's all integrated into the live tiles. If you don't want to see "notficiations" of a specific app then you simply don't have it pinned to your start screen or you have it on the bottom where you can't see it without scrolling.

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    The Live tiles only work if app is pinned to home screen. Only live tiles I keep is Weave, Family Group, Coworker Group, People, my Faince, Emails and WP Central. I want a notification center for all my other apps.
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag

www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Having notification is great, it helps a lot to see all what's happening in a glance. Verdict: I like
    Grouping the apps with categories, or even better in folders would be much appreciated specially by those who like to be very organised. Verdict: I like.
    Having an X to terminate an app, it's another great option to add.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hi there, just thought i'd contribute to the notification center effort with my own idea:
    notification-center-windows-phone.jpg

It's simple, it has Metro elements, and i just thought it looked quite good! To access, swipe down from the top (i know i KNOW it's copying the other platforms, but 1. iOS and Android both copied the dropdown menus from webOS, so it is only fair for us too... 2. We already use a swipe gesture to access Status Bar so it's not radically different!)

notification-center-media-windows-phone.jpg

And this is the same notification centre but with media controls. Like i said, simple, adheres to metro, and doesn't alter the current setup all that much. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, lets all hope we get the promised notification center in Apollo Plus!
    AgentTheGreat likes this.

I don't like Android's idea either. That's why I didn't go for a drop down menu. I thought we can have the functionality, with WP's form.

Quote Originally Posted by olivercorb View Post
    Hi there, just thought i'd contribute to the notification center effort with my own idea:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notification center windows phone.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	29547

It's simple, it has Metro elements, and i just thought it looked quite good! To access, swipe down from the top (i know i KNOW it's copying the other platforms, but 1. iOS and Android both copied the dropdown menus from webOS, so it is only fair for us too... 2. We already use a swipe gesture to access Status Bar so it's not radically different!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notification center Media windows phone.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	29548

And this is the same notification centre but with media controls. Like i said, simple, adheres to metro, and doesn't alter the current setup all that much. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, lets all hope we get the promised notification center in Apollo Plus!
    I kinda feel like it's too...busy. I haven't seen lists on WP that show so much information, with so many elements present on the screen, with such small font. Microsoft is focusing on typography and its beauty, so the text needs to have some "personality" for itself, and pretend like it's not just there to give you information. It is also there to make your phone look good. So I think some more white space is needed in your design. :)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123