Falling in love with WP8; Here are the apps I use (former iPhone 4 user)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you try a different Sync cable just in case yours is bad?
thanks folks. Don't want to clutter this thread with my problem. I ensured d_WMDM plugin was checked (it was) and changed a few cables (including the original Nokia cable). No go. I can see the phone fine in Windows Explorer and the Windows phone app, but not in MM. Maybe somebody can save the device settings from within MM plugin and make it available. It probably won't work, but maybe worth a try.
will try this on my laptop next to narrow down the culprit.....

edit: ok, uninstalled, cleaned registry and all user folders it created and reinstalled with admin rights. This time it recognizes the Lumia. Thanks all.

Last edited:

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
awgneo - is your music encoded as MP3s or AAC? My phone has been sitting for a while and I still can't see most of the music that I loaded.

Here are the files/directories on my phone as seen in explorer:
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

The only Megadeth album I can access and play on my phone is Th1rt3en and then the only song from that album that I can access is Public Enemy No. 1 encoded as M4A/AAC just like the rest of that album.

Puzzled as to why I can only play the one song from the one album...the files are all on the phone?

Attachments

• Nokia Music.JPG
    Nokia Music.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

AMERICANRAJ

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Entrance by AOL is pretty good.Local radio stations. Though I switched back to Nokia Music, I like the playlists. 70's rock, smooth Jazz etc.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath for Chrome -- Google has made no secret of their intent to ensure that Google services don't play well with Windows Phone.

Microsoft should make it difficult for Google services don't play well on the Windows OS. The PRIME platform where Google makes the lions share of its ad revenue.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If only the Yelp app didn't suck :/ That is one of my main problems

It is pretty brutal, the whole reason I started using Yelp in its infancy was the ability to search by map viewable area - even that is missing.

Agreed. The WP8 Yelp app is just a placeholder so that there's something to find in the store. It has no features other than searching nearby. I don't know if Yelp cares, they're a "iphone uber alles" shop, their android version has been out for 2+ years and still lacks features that were int the iphone version at launch.

So far it's the biggest missing app for me, because i have far more check-in friends there than on fourquare (which has yet to notify me of any checkins), and it's something I used several times a week, as opposed to hbo go or xfinity, which I only used occasionally.

eltonsaul

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi awgneo,

My name is Elton Saul and I'm the developer of Flashlight XT. I see from your comment that you state that Flashlight XT crashes on WP8. I've tested XT with the HTC 8X, Lumia 920 and the Samsung ATIV with no crashes. Also, I have lots of reviews stating that it works on WP8 with the Lumia 920, 820 and 822.

So, I'd like to help out and see what the issue is here. I can't find any crash reports from the Developer Dashboard for WP8. Could you please contact me (wp7dev at live dot com)? I'd like to get to the bottom of this and make sure I am providing a high quality (truly free) app that works for all WP8 devices.

Thanks,
Elton

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Mint --> https://www.pageonce.com / Pageonce - Money & Bills | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I used Mint a lot on Android but actually prefer Pageonce now that I've discovered it. I have all bills and stock information in there too, not just bank accounts.

http://www.pageonce.com/mint-vs-pageonce

There is also a RedLaser app. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/redlaser/8fbeb777-a17c-4afd-b880-deac88ed86ca

I just the Mint app on the windows store. What's wrong with that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BioFanatic

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
"Do no evil" my @ss, amirite?

Thankfully, many MS services are actually better than google services IMO, and other MS services are catching up quickly:

Skydrive (with Office web apps!) pwns Google Docs/Drive in every aspect.
OneNote is by far my fave note-taking app.
Outlook.com is so much cleaner than gmail, bug gmail is still solid, I admit.
Skype > Google... hangouts? Voice?
The integration of these with W8 is amazing.

It sounds like Nokia/Bing maps are catching up to google maps, but they probably still have some work to do.
Bing may not be as solid as Google search, but honestly, I haven't given it enough of a chance.
Youtube. Well, Google wins this one without competition, haha. But there are apps on WP8 to fill the void.

BioFanatic

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
In terms of note-taking apps, you mention GoTasks and Milkman. Have you tried the built-in OneNote app? It's part of Office, syncs through Skydrive, you can pin individual notes on your phone and fully integrated into W8.

I'm planning to switch to a 920 by Christmas from my iPhone. I already use the OneNote iPhone app, but it's crappy on iOS compared to WP8. Being that I don't have WP8 yet, I can't comment on quality of Milkman.

Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo