Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Hello,

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 920, having been a fairly advanced iPhone user since the 3G. I have to say that I have a new friend in my life. The start screen is such an awesome idea and I enjoy the ways that I can customize it to meet my exact smartphone needs and even my personality. Anyway, after having this phone now for several days, I thought I'd share the apps that I have discovered through trial and error and use daily, coming from the iOS 6 ecosystem. I am happy to say that nearly every feature or application that I enjoyed on iOS 6 has a good OS or application equivalent in Windows Phone 8.

iOS6 WP8 Notes
    Facebook Facebook a little buggy for WP8
    Kayak Kayak
    ShopSavvy/RedLaser ShopSavvy
    Flashlight Flashlight XT "LED Flashlight" is an alternative app, but it seems to crash on WP8; going with Flashlight XT for now
    Youtube MetroTube This is pretty awesome! Thanks Tahiti Bob for the heads up :)
    Flixter Flixter Panorama control shines here on WP8
    Wikipedia Wikipedia
    TuneIn Radio ??? There was an app for WP7; I hope they bring it back soon as I used this app all the time
    Pandora MetroRadio Works perfectly (better than graffiti); Pandora comes out early next year
    Mint ??? This app is supposed to be in development for WP8; their lack of a mobile website disappoints
    Amazon Kindle Amazon Kindle
    Amazon Mobile Amazon Mobile
    SoundCloud Soundrivin
    eBay eBay
    TripIt My Trips Amazing application and much better than the TripIt app; $1.99; Trip Hub is a close second
    TouchPad Unify This app blows TouchPad away for iOS and has many nice settings; PC Remote is an alternative; $1.99
    Google Authenticator Authenticator The camera takes a few tries to read a 2D barcode; works perfectly once set up
    Bank of America Bank of America
    PayPal PayPal
    GEICO GEICO
    AllRecipes AllRecipes An excellent app for cooking ideas
    Netflix Netflix I may, one day, miss the video out capability of the iPhone; hopefully a nice Play To DLNA app comes out soon
    Google Maps/Apple Maps Nokia Maps/gMaps So much better
    Newegg Newegg
    Bookman PDF Reader
    Battery Level The new version now graphs battery history; excellent app
    GroupMe GroupMe I am glad Microsoft bought this company via Skype, haha
    Google Chrome Chrync A very nice application for viewing all of your Chrome tabs, bookmarks, passwords, etc! This will hold me off until (hopefully) Google releases Chrome for WP8 now that native app development is allowed; try this!
    Groupon Groupon This application is a fine example of pinning
    BeejiveIM IM+ Pro
    GoTasks Milkman Remember the milk is a lot better than Google tasks ever will be; get a free account and you can even dock your tasks along GMail with the "Remember The Milk for Gmail" Chrome extension
    Nokia Transit Excellent replacement for what used to be Google Maps
    Panorama Nokia application; works well
    SoundHound SoundHound
    Speedtest.net SpeedTest Loving LTE :)
    Weather Weather The MS version works well
    Yelp Yelp
    iTunes MediaMonkey FINALLY I can use the far superior MediaMonkey to directly manage my music

Yes, I have been busy, haha.

Enjoy, and maybe let me know if I am missing something :)
    I am still very new to this platform.

Thanks,
    awgneo
    Last edited by awgneo; 11-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Thanked by:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

For YouTube you definitely need to check MetroTube. RedLaser also exists in WP8 but I believe these apps' functions are built into Bing so you may not need them (same goes for SoundHound although the humming feature is ace). Finally for Wikipedia I hope you're using the Rudy Huyn one.
    Thanked by:
    MaulerX and kittshelby like this.

Great post. Try Flashlight-X - I have a 920 and it doesn't crash. There is a free version (ads).

Maybe I should try MetroRadio again. I found Graffiti Radio much better on WP7. Biggest gripe before was that if I paused earlier in the day, MetroRadio would not seemlessly pick up where I left off like Graffiti does.

I wish Downcast could come to WP8 as podcasts are only supported in the US at the moment. Loving it on my iPad.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Damn...I already own the Gold Version of MediaMonkey, but could never get my iDevices to work quite right. Didn't even think of trying MM as the Desktop Sync that MS is supplying is a joke. Will definitely have to try MM now.

Great post by the way!

I'd really like to see some sort of a consolidated thread just for us iPhone switchers - howtos, tips and tricks, Apps etc.

UPDATE - just checked...my version of MediaMonkey was 3.2.5 so I upgraded to the newest 4.0.7 and am indexing files now.
    Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 11-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Glad you're enjoying WP8! I just wanted to give you some suggestions on apps:

YouTube - check out MetroTube and Supertube

Wikipedia - this alternative Wiki app is simply amazing: Wikipedia | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And lastly, for a 3 pack combo app that's also beautifully designed: check out "627.AM". It's primarly an alarm app, but also has a note/task ability as well as weather. It's an awesome 3 in 1 app!

To topic creator:
    Welcome! I suggest you also download
    Weave trial: excellent news reader
    Metrotube: slick windows phone interface of YouTube
    Photogram/picture studio/photastic. Photogram is a filter software much like instagram, picture studio is really handy app, and phototastic is wonderful for collages.
    Blueprints: hands down the best tumblr client there is!
    Rowi: excellent and free twitter client which is imo the best there is. I still miss Carbon but alas its off the marketplace
    Windows phone central app just cuz.

I'll post more!

Never tried PDF Reader, how is that? I use Bookviser, lets you read most epubs and stuff via Skydrive
    Jazmac likes this.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
    UPDATE - just checked...my version of MediaMonkey was 3.2.5 so I upgraded to the newest 4.0.7 and am indexing files now.
    trying to set this up at the moment but MM doesn't even see the phone. Is there a plugin that I have to install?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I wouldn't hold my breath for Chrome -- Google has made no secret of their intent to ensure that Google services don't play well with Windows Phone.

This is a well thought-out / written post. Shows there isn't as much of a gap in app use for ordinary people as led to believe.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Its posts like this from the OP that negates all these other threads about apps and bad reviews.. A happy customer.. Not too many on this board the way negative posts are produced.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

If only the Yelp app didn't suck :/ That is one of my main problems

Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    If only the Yelp app didn't suck :/ That is one of my main problems
    It is pretty brutal, the whole reason I started using Yelp in its infancy was the ability to search by map viewable area - even that is missing.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    When I was switching from my iP4 to WP8, I found that WP had about 50 of the 55 apps I really needed and lacked maybe another 5 that were nice to haves...

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I installed Media Monkey -> Created a Playlist -> Plugged in my Nokia 920 -> Hit "Sync" and my music was transferred to my device - almost as easy as iTunes (will take a bit to get used to the MM interface and options)

...the only issue I am having is that I can "see" the music files on the Nokia 920 but they are not showing up in the Music + Videos App on the phone...does the phone take time to index the files?

UPDATE - tried powering the phone down and back up...still only seeing a few albums despite being able to see the files on the phone with Windows Explorer. May have to visit the Media Monkey forums.
    Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 11-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts
    Great thread - thanks!

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    I installed Media Monkey -> Created a Playlist -> Plugged in my Nokia 920 -> Hit "Sync" and my music was transferred to my device - almost as easy as iTunes (will take a bit to get used to the MM interface and options)

...the only issue I am having is that I can "see" the music files on the Nokia 920 but they are not showing up in the Music + Videos App on the phone...does the phone take time to index the files?
    thanks, so it should work. Not for me though. It still doesn't see my Lumia920. It does recognize an external hdd that I've plugged in and offers to sync to that. When I take that off the USB I still do not see the Lumia - strange......

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derausgewanderte View Post
    thanks, so it should work. Not for me though. It still doesn't see my Lumia920. It does recognize an external hdd that I've plugged in and offers to sync to that. When I take that off the USB I still do not see the Lumia - strange......
    Did you try a different Sync cable just in case yours is bad?
    Thanked by:

Make sure the d_WMDM plugin is enabled and checked in MediaMonkey. I am using version 4.0.6.1501. I HIGHLY recommend this application and it is well worth the price.

mediamonkey920.png

Also, I created a device image for MM (set in the device options pane at the bottom) for the 920 :) Enjoy!

Also, make sure you check what music you want synced in the "Auto-Sync list" tab...

mediamonkey9202.png

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    Did you try a different Sync cable just in case yours is bad?
    thanks folks. Don't want to clutter this thread with my problem. I ensured d_WMDM plugin was checked (it was) and changed a few cables (including the original Nokia cable). No go. I can see the phone fine in Windows Explorer and the Windows phone app, but not in MM. Maybe somebody can save the device settings from within MM plugin and make it available. It probably won't work, but maybe worth a try.
    will try this on my laptop next to narrow down the culprit.....

edit: ok, uninstalled, cleaned registry and all user folders it created and reinstalled with admin rights. This time it recognizes the Lumia. Thanks all.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 11-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    awgneo - is your music encoded as MP3s or AAC? My phone has been sitting for a while and I still can't see most of the music that I loaded.

Here are the files/directories on my phone as seen in explorer:
    http://sdrv.ms/U4fvCB

The only Megadeth album I can access and play on my phone is Th1rt3en and then the only song from that album that I can access is Public Enemy No. 1 encoded as M4A/AAC just like the rest of that album.

Puzzled as to why I can only play the one song from the one album...the files are all on the phone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nokia-music.jpg  
    Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 11-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Mp3

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    Mint --> https://www.pageonce.com / Pageonce - Money & Bills | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I used Mint a lot on Android but actually prefer Pageonce now that I've discovered it. I have all bills and stock information in there too, not just bank accounts.

http://www.pageonce.com/mint-vs-pageonce

There is also a RedLaser app. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...0-deac88ed86ca
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast