How to force to check the application updates on my Lumia 920?

ycy198472

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I am a new user of windows phone. I feel confused about how the application updates work on the windows phone platform. I cannot find the function to force to check the application updates. Also, my Lumia 920 almost never shows how many application updates there are on the store live tile... Very frustrating. Any one has ideas about it? Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Update notifications are pushed by the marketplace. Most of us have the Store tile on the homescreen and wait for the live tile to show app updates are available.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Update notifications are pushed by the marketplace. Most of us have the Store tile on the homescreen and wait for the live tile to show app updates are available.
This is it. Pin the Store tile. There is not a way or a need to force a check. As updates become available, the tile will update, generally within a few hours of publication.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
If there is a specific app that you know has been updated, you can force an update by doing the following

1. Find it in the store and click it
2. Back out
3. Go back in, the update button should be there

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This. That's how we update those that we get notice of from the wpcentral app, that haven't come through the tile yet.

SASSBS

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi same issue on the lumia 920 the marketplace app never checks for updates.

Been speaking to Nokia and MS support for nearly 2 weeks now, no joy MS Think it is a Nokia issue, Nokia say it should never check for updates and to do it manually.

I pointed out the flaw and got a call on Friday from a senior design engineer at Nokia who asked me to leave the phone on 24/7 over the weekend so we can see if it picks any updates up after a restore, just checked and 2 updates are now showing, so it looks like the 920 only checks once a day, overnight, for any updates.

Not ideal as I usually switch the phone off at nights.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This update stuff has been very sporadic with the Windows Phone 8 on my 920. It currently shows 9 updates, but that was because I manually go into each apps forcing it to check for updates. Even leaving it running 24 hours for the last few days wouldn't pick up a single new update, even though there are 9 waiting.

Marko68

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
There are few application, like system nokia application, that are not in the market....so if you do not receive a notification you can't update it.......I have my phone since 3 weeks and I had never a notification ...........

Nelman

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There is an issue with WP8. I just chatted with Microsoft tech help and they said there should be a fix for this sometime in January but he wasn't sure. I won't be holding my breath. I've had my Lumia 920 since November and have NEVER received notification for an update. So all you people who have been complaining about this are right. There IS a problem.

Here are the answers I got during a chat with a Microsoft tech agent:

"If i understand right, you're needing help with your application updates? Definitely a known issue with the series 8 at this point. The Live Tiles on your device will prompt you for an update if you go to the store manually, but at this point the rollout fix is planned just not available as of yet. Found that you're not the only one having this issue as of late. 7.5's still update just fine, just not the 8's. I'll add your account as one of the known issues with it and ultimately as soon as an over-the-air update occurs for the device, it should resolve your issue. They're estimating mid January still, but again that's just an estimate."

Last edited:

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't mean to bump this but this is still an issue for me. I have tried restore, manual syncing everything. We should all talk to support to get them to log this so it will hopefully speed up the turn around for a fix. More people that give the feedback the higher of a priority it will be?

warmth

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope this bug goes away with the Amber update. It's killing me.

Btw if you get a second phone, a Nokia Lumia 720 in my case, and restore the backup of the 920 you will get the same bug on the second handset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre