Connect to University Wi-Fi

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I come asking for help and praying for a yes.

My university uses the following Wi-Fi settings:

Security Type: WPA2 - Enterprise
Encryption Type: AES
Security Key: Blank

I have read all over the Microsoft Forums trying to figure out if this will be supported, but haven't had any luck with posts specific to the AES encryption type.

I'm studying abroad for the semester and don't live close to my Uni when I'm in the states, so just trying to get answers sooner rather than later.

These are the instructions to connect to Wi-Fi manually using Windows 7 (PC). They are the most in-depth and they don't have instructions for WP.

1) From the Start Menu go to the Control Panel.
2) In Category View click on 'View Network Status and Tasks' then click 'Manage Wireless Networks'.
3) Click on the 'Add' tab.
4) Continue with 'Manually Create A Network Profile'.
5)Enter the following values:

Name: Airfalcon
Security Type: WPA2 - Enterprise
Encryption Type: AES
Security Key: Blank

6) Click 'Next'.
7) Continue with 'Change Connection Settings' and click the 'Security' tab.
8) For the Network Authentication Method select 'Protected EAP (PEAP)'.
9) Click 'Settings' to right of (PEAP).
10) Check 'Equifax Secure Certificate Authority'.
11) Verify Authentication Method as: 'Secure Password (EAP-MSCHAP)'.
12) For non-Bentley Machines Click 'Configure'.
13) Uncheck 'Automatically Use Windows Login Name and Password.'
14) Click Finish/Apply/Next all screens.
15) Connect to Airfalcon.
16) Enter your Bentley email address and password.

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to connect? I'm praying that since the Authentication Method is PEAP I'm okay? Please? Maybe?

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. The first one terrifies me as it's a very similar case, the second response is somewhat relieving. What's so strange is that, as the poster in the other thread mentioned, the Lumia specs claim support for our type of network, and there are a number of users it seems who have no issues connecting to it. I guess it's probably going to come down to me buying the phone and bringing to IT on campus to try and connect.

If anyone has any more information on this, I really appreciate your help.

mmacleodbrown, can you explain a bit about what a root certification is? What is the "it" that needs to recognize the root cert, the network or the phone?
Sorry for my incompetence on this one.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Haha it's fine, I'm in the same boat as you, almost exactly. I'm studying in Rome at the moment and I'm just waiting until I get back to see if it works with my Uni's wireless network as well. Time will tell, other than than we'll likely be using our data plans if it doesn't work, sadly. Or MS or the manufacturers will add support if it isn't there.

As for Root Certification here's what one guy had to say about it:

"I have a theory about the PEAP issue. PEAP requires a validated authentication using certificates. I'm clearly able to contact the secure WAP because I do get asked for my credentials, but I think there is a handshake of sorts that happens before my credentials are passed to the server. This handshake involves looking at the PEAP server's CA. Then the phone checks to see if it has the root certificate installed that matches the cert presented by the PEAP server via the WAP. I bet I don't have the matching root cert. I've a got a call into IT to have them get back to me on what our CA is for PEAP authentication. Again, if this were the case, a better error message from WP would be nice.

What I like about this theory is this maybe explains why iOS and Android don't have the same problem. Either they have a more extensive list of root certs, or maybe the device is skirting the validation step altogether (i.e. blindly trusting that your credentials should be sent to this requestor). This would also explain why folks have varying success and that there doesn't seem to be a pattern with a particular Windows Phone. The pattern may have more to do with the CA being used for PEAP on the WLAN. If we are missing a root cert on our phones, we can add it - fingers crossed...

If anyone has some cold water to throw on my theory, please do."

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'd like to wait for MS to add support, I don't know if it's an option. I live on campus and am covered by their wi-fi 24/7, not sure I can forfeit that especially with only 2 or 3 gigs of data available per month.

Do you (or does anyone else) know if the root cert is something I manually can enter on the phone?

UPDATE: This may be the answer for me.

SSL Root Certificates for Windows Phone

This lists all the CA's pre-installed on Windows Phone. Step 10 mentions the Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, which I can gladly report is listed as supported under the U.S. Verisign listing.

I'm going to post this in the other thread as well. Not going to get my hopes too high (trying not to anyway)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb