Already purchased app charged! - WPCentral app

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I hard reset my phone after Words with Friends completely froze the system.

When I installed WPCentral app from marketplace (I already got it when it was on WP7!) I got an email from MSFT saying they're billing my phone bill with ?0.79!

I'm now afraid to install any other apps I already own from WP7!

UPDATE: Don't use mobile operator billing if you can avoid it. Also, there is an update in pipeline - OTA Update in next couple of weeks! :)

Last edited:

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You didn't change your live id did you? Every app I had purchased on WP7 except Trine's Hangman Pro (caught that one on a free giveaway) carried over for me.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Chat with MSFT reveals there are many apps that keep doing that.

You are now chatting with 'Kathryn B.'.
Kathryn B.: Hello , my name is Kathryn B. with Microsoft Support. Please give me a few moments as I review the information you've submitted.
You: Hi Kathryn, I'll wait, thanks.
Kathryn B.: So if I am understanding correctly, you have an app that you purchased a while back and redownloaded today, and it charged you again?
You: Yes, that's correct. I received an email about this charge being applied to my phone bill.
Kathryn B.: I am sorry, but you will need to contact your mobile operator as I cannot view anything that is attached to that billing system.
Kathryn B.: Wait a moment.
You: I also checked other paid apps I've purchased before. Now all of them are showing up as apps that I will be paying for again! Even if it was mobile operators charging me, I am not sure why my MSFT account has forgotten all my purchased apps?
Kathryn B.: I had already started loading the billing for your account...
Kathryn B.: And I am seeing the app on here. You may want to check your next billing statement, and if it shows up on your phone bill contact your mobile operator and let them know you were already billed through Microsoft. In the meantime, I will go ahead and reverse the charges here.
Kathryn B.: Are there any other apps you wanted to download?
Kathryn B.: We have had several apps that have been charging customers again when they upgrade from Windows Phone 7, to Windows Phone 8.
You: Thanks! I was about to download Gleek, HandyScan and UKDriving license once again, but now they all show as if I never paid for them. Same applies to my games as well. I will be re-installing most apps as I had to hard reset my phone. But will I have to look out for these charges for all apps for now onwards?
Kathryn B.: Did you set the phone up on a new Live ID?
You: No, it is the same MSFT account as what I used for my Windows Phone 7 since last 2 years.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Kathryn B.: Can you go ahead and download the other 3 and make sure that you download using the credit card if it asks?
You: It doesn't give me that option as such. It uses my mobile provider by default although my wallet app shows that I do have a credit card registered to my account too.
Kathryn B.: Ok, they are working on resolving the issue, and if it is billed to the mobile operator I cannot reach the charges.
You: How do I make sure that my MSFT account uses ONLY the registered credit card on my account and doesn't communicate at all with my mobile operator? Because as you say MSFT cannot reverse mobile operator charges but it is using my mobile billing much conveniently!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Kathryn B.: You should be able to have your mobile operator turn off the mobile billing. The first charge did go to you mobile operator, and I can see but I can't touch it. There are two options here, one is you can talk to your mobile operator and get the charge reversed, the other is I can advocate for a special circumstances refund here. Which would you prefer?
You: I would prefer for you to go for a refund as my mobile operator is one difficult case to handle! Also, how can they be billing me on my MSFT account associated on MSFT store? Shouldn't ONLY MSFT have access and rights to bill me in MSFT store?
Kathryn B.: Since it is through a mobile phone, most mobile operators have the option of billing through them, and basically while they handle the billing the order for the MSFT based product still winds up in our system. I am sorry they are difficult for you. If you would like me to refund that one charge here, I would recommend waiting til they get the WP7-WP8 transition worked out for the apps. They are actively working on a fix and it should work itself out with the next update.
Kathryn B.: One moment please while I take care of getting a refund for you.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
thank you. I was charged for an app that I had purchased for Win7 before. 99 cents wasn't a big deal I thought because it didn't happen on all other apps so far. Will have a look and claim my dollar back. thanks

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was charged for 6 apps in total as I got 5 other emails following the purchase of WPCentral App. I never realised it was charging me as it I always assumed that on reinstall it will do this. So I have been billed on my phone bill for all 6 apps. However, MSFT has refunded me those on my credit card. Evens out.

But I am calling my network operator and asking them to stop charging me with my in store app purchases!!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
More on that chat ..

You: Ok, thanks for all that information. For time being I will have to refrain from reinstalling any app as even if it keeps charging my credit card, I might have to keep contacting customer support after every reinstall I am charged for. :(
Kathryn B.: Alright, I got a refund sent your way. Just as a heads up, the charge you just got the refund for will still show up on your bill for your phone.
You: Oh ok and I hope it is including VAT?
Kathryn B.: I'm sorry, VAT?
Kathryn B.: Ah, taxes, yes I included taxes on it.
Kathryn B.: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
You: That is all I needed help with. You wouldn't know for how long I will have to stop from re installing apps, would you?
Kathryn B.: Watch for the next update for your phone, and then try it again. They are working on a fix for it that should be up and running in the next couple weeks.
You: Thanks a lot for that, fingers crossed!

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
When you're in the store, if its one previously purchased it will still say buy, ut after you hit that it should say you already purchased the app, do you want to reinstall it

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It stopped recognising those already purchased apps. So it doesn't give that screen at all. It goes straight away to "buy" option and on hitting buy it actually makes the purchase!

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't it tell you whether or not you are going to be charged for it before you confirm? Might also consider doing your reinstalls from the website

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem with all Liquid Daffodil apps. I have them on my 900, full versions, bought and paid for and now when I try and download them on my 920 it tries to charge me. Nothing comes up saying I have already purchased the apps.

And yes, I know how selecting buy let's you redownload already purchased apps, but these ones definitely want to try and charge me again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99