Can WP8 finally play WAV files via music player?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Probably not, and in fact, WAV file support is actually weaker in WP8... it's a huge irritation, because I get my Microsoft Exchange voicemails (from work) in my email as WAV files, and where I was able to play them on WP7, I no longer can on WP8. I saw a tweet from Joe Belfiore saying they were aware of it, but no confirmation that it was being fixed or anything. We can hope though.

You would be better off converting your library to MP3 or WMA.

shea sigal

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
btw i also get my voice mail from the company in email, and i have the same problem
phoneconvert is the way to go till they will fix it .
it converts the file .
you send the email with the attachment to a email address that you get from them , and with in a min you get back a email in mp3 or any other file you choose.
it works great and its free.
thanks

agbva

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Based on the post above, I created a free account at phoneconvert.com, and as Shea said, it works fine. I took the default options which convert to a .mp4 format which plays just fine on the phone.

rickylago2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Aren't .wav file Windows media player files? Shouldn't Microsoft have built in support for their own files when they were build WP8? Seems a little silly...

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Of course there's no excuse for not supporting WAV files, but why on earth would you want to use this format? It's lossless, sure, but it also won't store meta data like artwork and album tags which makes it virtually impossible to manage/organize music (except if your really comfortable with working in folders only).

You should seriously consider converting your WAVs to FLAC or ALAC since both are still lossless, but support meta data. Of course, neither of those will be playable on WP8 though - which is again inexcusable, but you could also go with WMA lossless which isn't very well supported outside the Microsoft ecosystem but should work flawlessly on WP8 and WIndows in general. That way you'd have it all: Lossless quality, proper meta data and embedded artwork (you need to fix that on your own though as WAVs come without any of of that) and support on your WP8 device.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you take a WAV file and drag-n-drop it to the phone's "rintones" folder via USB, it will convert it to WMA oddly enough.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Aren't .wav file Windows media player files? Shouldn't Microsoft have built in support for their own files when they were build WP8? Seems a little silly...

Wav files can be encoded with multiple codecs. (Apologies if I'm messing up the terms there...) Anyway, for whatever reason, many corporate voicemails are encoded with a codec that Windows Phone 8 can not play. This is not limited to WP8 as no Android phone in our company can play our voicemails either. Users have to download an app to play them.

Nobody has ever admited why this is the case on Android phones (and now WP8) My theory, and it's only a theory, is that somebody has a patent or something on certain codecs and Google stop paying for it a few years ago and Microsoft stopped paying for it on WP8. Maybe Apple owns it..haha.

Our solution is going to be to change the codec we use to save our voicemails and eliminate the problem. That may or may not be an option for everybody though.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Based on the post above, I created a free account at phoneconvert.com, and as Shea said, it works fine. I took the default options which convert to a .mp4 format which plays just fine on the phone.

Thanks agbva! this works for me. We use MagicJack and it works great to convert the .wav voicemails.

Steve 1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
iPhone probably... Android possibly not.. No Androids play our work wav files either.

For Android there Is a great App called "Remote Wave Free" and as the name suggests, it Is free... This App allows for the play back of wav files and direct from an email attachment.

The other suggestion about sending your wav files to a 3rd party is a security breach for IT and I would not want to send my personal voicemail to this type of service....

So is there no other options? A codec pack for WP8?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
For Android there Is a great App called "Remote Wave Free" and as the name suggests, it Is free... This App allows for the play back of wav files and direct from an email attachment.

The other suggestion about sending your wav files to a 3rd party is a security breach for IT and I would not want to send my personal voicemail to this type of service....

So is there no other options? A codec pack for WP8?

Yep, Remote Wav is what we tell our users to download. Android used to play the GSM wav codec until like Android 2.0.. maybe 2.1.. I can't remember.. Anyway, at that point they just magically stopped including support for it. Lucky for us, Remote Wave was there. If iOS just decided to stop supporting that, we would likely be screwed.

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the phone convert utility. I guess it will have to do until MSFT fixes this issue (let's hope they fix it). No problem playing these .wav files on Surface.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, phonepower (my voip) emails me wav files with a codec that WP8 can't play either. Since they land on my linux box first I just made a procmail filter to convert them to a wav format wp8 can play via ffmeg and then used AT&T's email to mms gateway addres to sent them to me. A child could do it :)

It's pretty lame that WP8 has such minimal codec support in 2012.

Aviator72

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on phoneconverter. Just created an account and will try it with next voicemail. But sure wish Nokia would just fix it because I get my Microsoft Exchange voicemails (from work) in my email as WAV files as well!

a_gunslinger

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I just cant believe Windows cant play wav files. Arrrg! Ok better now. no Im not.

So how to I get Remote Wave? It doesn't appear in the Windows Store list of apps? Thanks.

... just can not believe it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just cant believe Windows cant play wav files. Arrrg! Ok better now. no Im not.

So how to I get Remote Wave? It doesn't appear in the Windows Store list of apps? Thanks.

... just can not believe it.

Remote Wave is an Android app that allows it to play wav files. I don't think anybody has written an app for WP8 yet.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Based on the posts here, I did a little experiment and downloaded a couple of wave files with various codec. WP8 plays normal LPCM wave file just file but the two codecs I tried that are commonly used by telephony, u-law and ADPCM don't work. So, it is really just a codec problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb