Please, notification center in appolo+!

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree we need a notification center sometimes I don't have my phone next to me and miss the toast and have no idea what it was. I don't want to have to pin all my apps to the start screen, I like to have a clean look. I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would also like to be able to create my own hubs with my favorite apps.

Doesn't the Iphone already do this?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What's so hard to understand about this? If you get a toast notification and the app is not pinned to the homescreen, and you don't look at your phone right away, the notification is gone...

How many apps do you have that send notifications that you are missing? Serious question. I have phone calls and texting. That's it. Any other app that I care so much about that I need to be notified what it's doing at all times is on my HOME SCREEN because I use it. If you think the tiles are ugly and don't want to pin them to your home screen then you have missed the entire point of this UI. Go buy an Android or an iPhone.

And no, the fact that background apps don't "take up memory" is not a valid excuse.

Yes it is, if you're not a fool who doesn't understand how modern smartphones manage memory.

The only people that need to STFU are ****** defenders of WP who overlook gaping holes in the OS that would make it more functional and ultimately attract more people to it.

Yes, They should add the feature if for no other reason than it would make ignorant people happy to be able to "X" out programs and feel like they are accomplishing something somehow. If you think that actually makes the phone more functional though, you don't understand how your phone works. Whatever makes people happy though, if it it'll get more people to WP and it causes no harm I'm all for it.

1) custom audio/data profiles - e.g. work, home, car, meeting, etc. Much more efficient than manually adjusting bluetooth/wifi/data/audio settings one by one multiple times per day.

Agreed, that would be cool.

2) orientation lock

Yes, absolutely.

3) ability to organize apps into hubs/folders - the alphabetical list is not robust. Once you get a good amount of apps installed, some very good and useful apps can become forgotten as you'll never scroll by them if you don't remember the name of them. Also, just a list of 50 apps is flat out awkward. Having some ability for organization is a positive thing.

Agreed, though I don't have enough apps to make this necessary yet, I'd like to think some day I will.

WP8 was a great step forward and I'm looking forward to what MS can push out to make it even more refined, regardless of what rampant ****** defenders of the platform say.

Even the most ardent "****** defenders" don't think that WP8 is done or that it has no room for improvement, so you can put that strawman away.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the no notifications camp. I have all my most used apps pinned to my start screen and I don't miss a beat. I don't see a valid excuse for missing anything. On wp7 I don't have the luxury of all the little tiles so my start screen could be long. On wp8 you can put so much more on the home due to the small tiles yet people still complain of missing notifications!

Completely agree, especially now that you can shrink tiles.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
ESPN app is a great example. All some people want is location to go see their missed toasts. If you don't like it, you won't need to use it. Choice is awesome, isn't it?

It can be intrusive and annoying. As long as I can opt out and have nothing to do with it, fine. But I found it annoying on the Android I had for my four months of ****.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it make everyone happy to have an official exclusive to WP "toast history" app? I don't really care myself, but that sure seems programmatically very simple. Have a setting for how many notices to retain in history, and now if you want to check them you can. And by pinning that app you can see the number of unread toasts. Or, if your in the no notification center camp, don't pin it. How didn't something that simple make WP8 and Kids Corner did? Like I said, I don't care myself, sure are some passionate folks around here though.

The profiles concept is pretty intriguing.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I used to be in the "meh, I guess a notification center would be nice, but I'll just pin everything" camp.

Then I got a Windows Phone for myself. Phone vibrated in my pocket no less than 5 times throughout an hour during a class - after class I look my start screen up and down for a good minute or so and could only account for 2 notifications! I have no idea what the other three were for! Not sure if it's a bug/faulty live tile in an app or something not pinned to my screen... but I thought I had everything pinned that even provided notifications! Was it some random game in the game hub? Was it some app that failed to update the tile? I have no idea.

Now I'm in the "give me a way to view all my toasts" camp, however they accomplish this.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, regarding grouping apps... Not sure what form that could take visually, but I'd love to be able to at least create my own custom app categories and assign apps to these categories so that I could have a filtered view if nothing else. Like an id3 tag for apps. Then swipe one past app list to reveal a category/filter view. Imagine having your apps in a convenient list for those you use when traveling? Another view for work. Maybe a filter for cooking apps, or whatever and however you like to view your apps. Maybe I'm getting too androidy? Cuz now I can imagine these views to be live tiles as well, and pretty soon we have a nightmare on par with android customization. So, need to be careful and keep it simple, but I would like to have a list of all apps as we do today, but also a filtered/category view because I agree that sometimes I just can't remember the name of an app that I'm looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)