Duplicate songs when on SD card

Drewstwitts

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one having the duplication problem in the sd card. I have done everything everyone suggests in here but still get songs duplicated. The strange part is they are not true duplicates and even though both play if you delete one the other also gets deleted so they are linked in some way. Need a fix fast for this.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just buggy software. I thought a hard reset would fix everything, but I wake up this morning and check my phone and now only artists that are on the phone show up, and all the music on the sd card can only be found if you scroll over to "songs"

jayman713

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, How do you tie artwork to a folder? I was having so many problems with WPM (duplicates and not seeing the phone) that I did the drag and drop into the folder option. I tried dropping the album artwork into the album folder as a jpg and it did not show up. I am using Vista.

Thanks for your help!

Gold2ooT

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Im using a Nokia Lumia 820 and syncing music (Windows 8, Windows Media Player) I encounter duplicate files on the 820 (both SD Card and Internal memory), however there is only one physical file.

I DO NOT use Xbox Music.

I've tried adding the music direct into the folder (via Windows Explorer) and still get the same result.
Then I noticed that by viewing the .alb file properties in the Music folder (Phone memory: Music | Album | right click on the .alb file, select Properties, References tab), the duplicates are visible:grin:, you can delete one of the duplicates but it always reappears:unhappy:.

Screenshots available here (zipped): https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I've submitted this to Microsoft, so i'm hoping we get a fix soon!

dosek

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've found temporary solution for music duplicites. I DONT have XBX Music in my country avaiable. On my Lumia 920 i've tried this and it works:

1) Delete all music files via Windows Explorer on PC
2) Allow to display hidden folders and files in Control Panel
3) Open each hidden sub-directories in Music folder (eg. Album, Artists, Playlists ...) and DELETE all its content!
4) Copy your Music back to Music folder

Now disconect phone from PC and there should be no duplicates of songs anymore. Hope it helps (like to me :) )

TheCuteBunny

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
May have been a fluke, but the way I got it to work on my Lumia 820 was to first, after formatting the SD card, then turning off "Connect with Xbox Music" and "Xbox Music cloud collection", was to put all my songs (which I have a lot of) into the music folder on the SD card through drag and drop, with no artist folders or album folders, just every single song into the same folder.

Hopefully this isn't just working for me and this can fix the problem for everyone else :grin:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
A lot of my music is Xbox Music content and in addition to the duplicate problem, which EVERY method on here didn't fix including a hard reset, I have an issue with the Xbox Music content where it will sometimes say it can't get the usage rights. Often duplicated tracks will play fine until I manually delete on, which triggers the usage rights issue. This thing is broken. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss my HD7. At least the f?cking music worked.

Edit: I removed the card from the phone, removed all my music and re synced. Still have duplicates.

UPDATE!!

I found an incredibly tedious but seemingly effective solution to both issues I described. I went through my entire collection one album at a time with the following steps:

1. Open them album without playing it by tapping the words.

2. Manually delete the duplicates one by one.

3. Back out of the list of songs and tap the album art to play the album. If the usage rights message triggers, start frantically mashing the "close" button that appears in the message. It will keep popping up until you've been through all the tracks on the album. (NOTE: if you have it on continuous play/repeat all this won't work) At this point the music player should be paused. Now swipe through each track and play them to see if they work. If you trigger the message again, button mash "close" until you reach the end of the album and repeat. If when you try to play a song it quickly skips to the next one, swipe back to the skipped track and make sure it plays.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 for each album in your collection until both issues are gone. With about 1300 songs in my collection, this took about 90 minutes or so, but I have restarted the music player and the phone (soft reset) and it's still fixed. The process I described here seems to force the device to collect the usage rights. Once I get out of bed, I will fire up Zune on PC and see if I'm still have media usage rights problems with the tracks on the PC. If there are no issues here, I may even get brave enough to resync my collection to ensure the fix is still good and report back with my findings.

Also, just checked my storage and I managed to clear up about 750mb of space by deleting the duplicates. Yikes.

Last edited:

dosek

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Did you tried to delete content of hiddnem directories? (Im not sure if this directories is also on SD card's Music folder - if not - sorry for this mess.)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you tried to delete content of hiddnem directories? (Im not sure if this directories is also on SD card's Music folder - if not - sorry for this mess.)

I haven't. But, as I mentioned in either this thread or another, I have removed the SD card from my phone and just synced to the onboard storage and the duplicate issue persisted until I used the process I described in the post above yours.

dosek

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Process that you've described I was checking too, but there was an problem. When I deleted any duplicite song, also the original one was dissapear. And when I try to sync it back it was duplicited again. And thats why I have try to delete the content on hidden folders in Music folder and re-sync it again (using Media Monkey) - that helps.

Alternatively could help delete enterie Music folder on SD card or reformat it. Hard to say.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It might make a difference which one you delete... I was deleting the 2nd one. The first wouldn't disappear on me, but I would get the media rights issue...

daisho2000

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That's my experience:

I've read and tried every piece of advice here in the forum: the only solution that worked for me was to format the SD card (a level "4" Kingston 16 GB) and put the songs directly in the music folder of the sd not by phone usb-connected but putting first the SDinside my laptop.
But then i wasn't happy and i've stumbled on a post in microsoft answers:
Why is my music being duplicated on my Windows 8 phone? - Microsoft Community

And that's was the procedure i've followed (by Jay_answers):

"1. Take out your SD card from the phone. Format it. don't put it back to the phone yet.

2. Add a couple of songs to your HTC 8S (Lumia 820, in my case) . Since your SD card is no longer in the phone, the music will be stored directly on the phone. Since 8S (Lumia 820)has only 4GB memory, suggest you only add a couple of tracks.

3. Check the phone. Do you still see duplicates? If you still see duplicates, it suggests that something is wrong with the music app on the phone. There is nothing specific we can do about the music app, so phone reset is the only option.

4. In step 3, if you don't see duplicates, then we have realized that the issues lies with the SD card storage and not with the phone itself.

5. Add a couple of tracks to the SD card (which has been formatted in step 1), and give it a go with the phone. If you see duplicates, then it confirms a issue with the SD. Get another SD card.

Hope it helps. Let me know how it goes, as this is a new issue :) Good luck
"
So i've tired the first steps and i've noticed that, copying the music via usb directly to my phone, produced the infamous "songs duplication"... So it wasn't the sd card but the phone itself that had the problems but, following the various suggestions in the previous posts, i've restored my phone several times during the past days.........
And then i've realized that my phone had another firmware (a "country variant") beacuse i hate when i switch on the phone seeing the operator logo. So here's the fact: i've used the "nokia care" to refurbish my phone with an original firmware put the card back on, downloaded the desktop application of Microsoft, connected my phone to usb and copyed all my music: no duplication at all!
Notice that in the previous weeks i've soffered that nightmares of 3-4 and even 7 times the same song listed.....

Obviously every mp3 is tagged using mp3tag 2.4 or MusicBrainz Picard: at least now my collection has a perfect tagging system!

That said: xbox-music is a mess, the metro application for wp8 is a mess, the desktop app is an "app preview" but at least works but the real problem - for me - was the non-original firmware on the phone.
I wish to thank everyone in the forum that has given preciuos advices, with their posts, during these weeks.

Sincerelly

Daisho2000

Last edited:

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read every post here but from what I saw you are getting the duplicates because Xbox music is pulling a synced version of song to phone. Look for a cloud symbol or antenna symbol or no symbol under each song. These symbols tell you where the song is. No symbol is local, antenna symbol is stream only. If you aren't using Xbox music sub, you need to disable both options for Xbox in settings, you should not get duplicates and it should let you locally copy over music from computer. Unless it has something to do with SD card?!?! I don't know if its different with SD card as I have 920 and I also have Xbox music subscription. I found I had to remove all local music from phone, load up music on W8 laptop, get everything synced to cloud properly, which is possible just time consuming, and then download to phone through cloud. Seems to be the only way XBox music was intended to work properly. Once I got my music imported to app on laptop and synced to cloud properly, haven't had any duplicate issues. But with out Xbox music sub, best thing is to turn off all Xbox settings on phone. Unless the duplicate is some sort of indexing of SD card issue or something along those lines. And if all this has been discussed already, sorry to waste your time.

Trevor1106588

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've found temporary solution for music duplicites. I DONT have XBX Music in my country avaiable. On my Lumia 920 i've tried this and it works:

1) Delete all music files via Windows Explorer on PC
2) Allow to display hidden folders and files in Control Panel
3) Open each hidden sub-directories in Music folder (eg. Album, Artists, Playlists ...) and DELETE all its content!
4) Copy your Music back to Music folder

Now disconect phone from PC and there should be no duplicates of songs anymore. Hope it helps (like to me :) )

This worked for a few days but now my duplicates are back FFS.

Eswa

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have similar problems with my music collection. I'm using Musicbee to sync it, and each time I sync to update my collection it seems that I get an extra duplicate of each song already on the phone (Lumia820). I use the main Samsung 32 SD card with a collection of about 28gb. I already formatted and resetted, but that helps only once: syncing to update my on-phone libary results in extra duplicates again...Arg! Are there any other options/solutions than the ones mentioned above? (I'm glad I still have my dedicated mp3player) Is there a way to let my Lumia built up a new libary without formatting my sd-card?
(I had also tagging issues, but luckily that is solved by shutting down the XBox Cloud music connection)

Last edited:

conorm1

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
This takes ages, but it works! It isn't quite as tedious as deleting the duplicates yourself on the phone. If you have already converted all your songs in the iTunes media folder to .mp3 or .wma, go to step 10 and start there. If your music is in other formats (ie m4a or aac), go from step one.

nb. This guide assumes you use iTunes 11 (download here)
10) Select 'import music from iTunes'.
11) Sync to SD card.
12) Done.

Alex Mello

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Solved!!!!

HEY GUYS!!! GOOD NEWS!!!!
I'VE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!! :grin:

First of all, sorry about my bad english. It's not my native language because I'm brazilian!

After three days testing, testing and testing.... It will appear much simple and incredible, but believe, it works! :cool:

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS
1) FORMAT YOUR SD CARD USING THE WINDOWS PHONE FEATURE ON SETTINGS MENU.
2) IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE FORMAT IS COMPLETE: RESTART YOUR PHONE!!!!

IT WORKED FOR ME AND I NEVER HAD TO DO THIS AGAIN, NOW IT'S FIXED AND ALL SYNC MADE ARE MADE PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

I think that can be 2 possibilities for the cause of this bug:
1) Windows Phone loads some information about storage on the startup. When we format and restart, all the settings (maybe music library database settings) saved on the sd card are clean!!
2) Maybe some opened application are doing this effect.

One thing to consider: When we format and add all the music using the SD card on a microsd adapter directly on the computer it works fine because the Windows Phone rescans all the SD card for media to add to the database. Maybe a problem when Windows Phone writes to the database at the moment of the copy using the phone plugged. It takes more time because the phone is processing something and adding the music to the library at same time of copying.

We need to test this before take the final conclusions!
TEST!! IF IT WORKS FINE, COULD BE IT!!! AND THE PROBLEM ARE SOLVED!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills