Duplicate songs when on SD card

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, just picked up a lumia 822 last week over the 8x for many reasons but one of the big ones was the fact that I could have my entire music collection on it, but thats turning out to be quite a pain in the A. When i put songs directly onto my phone through windows media player, everything is fine, their is no duplicate songs, or albums, or any issues whatsoever. When i put songs onto my SD card through WMP, I get random duplicates, or triplicates sometimes, and duplicate albums that have some songs in one album and some songs in the other. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to this either, since it does it to some songs/albums and not others. Everything is tagged correctly, and there is no duplicate songs in my WMP library, nor when you view the songs on the SD in WMP or even in the explorer on my computer. I have formatted the SD multiple times, but nothing seems to fix this. does anyone have any ideas?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Turn off access to your cloud storage on the phone. You will need to clear that cloud music listing and let it resync. I would also remove the music on the SD card and then download it back to the card from the cloud.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Download it from the cloud? It's not on the cloud, just stored locally in WMP

I mean, I am not using xbox music in the cloud at all.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea, the Xbox Music+Video app is severely lacking and quirky. But visually stunning when working properly.

I've just spent the last 3 days experimenting with how to get music on the phone with a SD card cleanly without duplicates, etc. Basically you want to remove all your music from the phone first and start over. Trying to clean it up any other way just doesn't work. You also want to make sure that there isn't any music on the Phone side either.

Plug the phone into a computer and look at it via Windows Explorer. You should see the phone under the computer, and you should see "Phone" and "SD Card", both will have a folder named "Music", make sure that there isn't any music in those folders. Then after that, make sure there isn't any music in your collection in the music app.

Now the fun part, getting your music on the phone. The BEST way I found was to take the SD Card out of the phone, and put it in my computer. Then literally "drag-n-drop" my music collection into the "Music" folder on the SD Card. Then take the card back to the phone, and let it sort through all the songs and rebuild it's internal database of your music.

If you don't have the ability to connect your SD Card directly to your computer, the next best way is leave the SD Card in the phone, connect it to your computer via USB and again "drag-n-drop" your music via Windows Explorer into the Music folder of the SD Card. I found this be slower than above, mainly because the phone checks each file for some reason.
Again, you will have to wait awhile for the phone to index all the files into it's database.

Using good old Window Media Player, or the Windows Phone Program (beta), is a bit of a crap shoot on how it turns out on the phone. I haven't tried the Windows 8 program, since I still running Windows 7.

Now I did run into a situation where no matter what I tried, the app on the phone didn't see any music what so ever (this was after several experiments with messing around with the contents of hidden folders on the phone). Rebooting didn't work. The only thing I could do was to reset the phone back to factory, and starting over.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh, if you want playlists, that's another HUGE nightmare. Seriously, I would wait till an update comes out before dealing with that again.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've already done most of what you said, I think. Besides actually putting the sd card in the computer, I lost that little adapter thing a while back.
I've tried adding music the drag and drop method and it screws up that way as well
And I've cleared both the card and the phone multiple times when I was trying different ways of syncing.

I thought I found a solution when I installed MusicBee, but it did the same thing as well.
I was going to try another card, because I am using some old and slow 16gb card, and I want a 32gb card anyways, so I was hoping that might solve the issue, but I'm doubting that now from the sound of things

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the WP app for Windows 7 and constantly get duplicates and access to Music is really slow; so opening music to start playing and then returning to the start screen as the music starts playing the phone is unresponsive.

darthtata85

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have spent a few hours trying all sorts of methods .....to get music on tho the phone (had the duplication issue too)

The easiest method ive found is to simply put all the musicyour adding in a seperate folder on, In windows 8 go into libraries and point your music libary to that specific folder......

Load up WMP8, use the find album info to correct any missing info and add album art.......

Then load up the windows 8 phone app (desktop or metro version) and click add music and it will add all the art and title everything correctly...

Not a thing out of place.

Any future updates will iron these little bugs out but i do think its visually stunning so im happy :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, I think I figured out what's going on.

Yesterday, I had no duplicates, everything was the way I like it. Played music off and on during the day. Tonight, I look and I have duplicates.

AAAAARRRRRrrrrggghhhhh!!

Then I remembered to read the fine print in settings:
Connect with Xbox Music (on/off)
Makes your music and video experience great by updating song information, downloading artist and album images, turning on Smart DJ, and more.​

We aren't doing anything wrong, the app is just plain messed up. I think we will just have to suffer through it, till Microsoft does an update to this app.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ya i turned the xbox music on the phone off, the weird part is that it still only seems to mess up songs on the sd card, but not the phone.
Hopefully its just a bug and they fix it soon, I was just worried that there might be something wrong I'm doing, but if not, then I'm not to worried

Earlier tonight, music woudnt play at all, it would give me an error message saying this feature isnt available try again later. I shut it off and turned it back on and it still did that. I havent tried it in a few hours so ill check and see if it works again

darthtata85

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am completely baffled by some of the replies on here.

Don't call me stupid but I really don't see where people are falling down. You plug the phone in add songs (pref via the win phone 8 app) and then BINGO songs are there..............

when you put something like this side by side with something as established as iTunes then of course theres going to be areas of improvement.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
In relation to this questions, when I just dragged and dropped music to my card, I did not see the album are when it was playing. When I used the Windows Phone app (with Win7), it displays the album art. Did anyone else see this?

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
well now my phone wont play any songs that have been stored on it, they worked yesterday but now they wont play, It just says "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone error code 800706bf"

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
well now my phone wont play any songs that have been stored on it, they worked yesterday but now they wont play, It just says "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone error code 800706bf"

I had this error too but only on radio I'd converted to mp3 (3 hours long), if i forwarded through the first few minutes it continued without a problem.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it everything seems to be working now. I have album art on all the songs, but now when its playing, the lock screen doesnt show the picture of the artist, and the music live tile doesnt show the picture of the artist either, Is there anyway to fix this?

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When you tap on the artist to view the albums, there is a nice big background picture of the artist, but when you play an album or a song, the background image goes away, any ideas?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The WP app for 8 is quite bad to add music, and if trying to add albums or songs just gets laborious. I went back to using Media Player.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3