iOS to WP8 User - My Review

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello -

There seems to be a lack of reviews from actual end users switching between iOS to Windows Phone 8. I have been frequenting the site ever since I started reviewing the WP8 platform and figured I would drop my two cents here. For some background, I work in business and rely on my iPad for note taking during meetings (outside of my laptop) and am a very heavy smartphone user.

I have been a Smartphone user for several years. My first step into owning a smartphone was a Palm IIIc (non-cell phone:)). From there I purchased an old HTC that I cannot recall the name to, a Palm Treo 680, HTC Raphael, Palm Centro and then into the iPhones. My first iPhone was the 3GS and I fell in love. It seemed like the perfect mixture of phone and internet device. From the 3GS I went to the iPhone 4 and then the iPhone 4S. I was never a fan of Apple products. I grew up building gaming PCs and never connected with Apple products. My view really changed owning the iPhone. After the first iPhone, I purchased an iPad 1 and iPad 2 and am writing this review on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Owning the iPhones, I switched between jailbreaking and reverting in several cycles. I wanted to customize the phone a bit more to my use and make it a bit more unique. After jailbreaking, I would get sick of performance and background issues and revert back. I have been keeping my eye on Windows 8 over the last few months. I honestly can say I was never really interested in it. I couldn't understand how it would be functional with the way technology is currently working (standard workbench terminals). When the Surface RT came out I became really interested. I finally could see what Microsoft was attempting to do with their Operating System. Not the same old -- Touch screens would be the future of controlling the computer through screens. I am currently waiting for the Surface Pro to be released to purchase one.

During my research, I decided I wanted to try out the WP8 platform as my primary phone. Not having any connections to getting a unit to play with for sometime I decided to just go ahead and use my upgrade to purchase the phone. I had done a lot of research and played with the demo phones in the stores and came to really enjoy using the phones. I settled on the Nokia Lumia 920 for my first foray into the world of WP8 (leaving my iPhone 4S).

First Thoughts: The phone is big and the screen is vivid. I cannot articulate my thumb to push buttons on the opposite side of the phone when one-handing the phone. This isn't a major issue to me but definitely different than my iPhone. When I say big, I am not saying big in a bad way. The real estate of the screen, the feel of the phone; I really like it. The operating system is very different than what I am used to. It has taken several days to truly understand so I can easily move around it. I was able to easily set the phone up as I swept through screens but I did fumble around trying to find certain features.

I synced the BlueTooth to my car in the parking lot and began driving over to visit my wife for lunch. As I was driving, I felt the phone vibrate in my pocket for a text message. I saw the BlueTooth on my screen switch over and WP8 announced, "New Text Message. Would you like me to read or ignore?" I was shocked. The iPhone required intervention to get it to read text messages off to me. WP8 went ahead and prompted me. Later on, I found the setting to have this happen all the time, BT only, or BT and headset. Very nice feature. I then noticed the sound quality on BlueTooth music was much better than the iPhone and allowed for volume control on the phone and vehicle. I really enjoy the sound quality.

I love the home screen and live tiles. Every phone is the same but yet unique. You customize how it looks and feels. I think it is slick to launch apps, see quick updates, or slide to the next screen to see all of my apps. Installing and uninstalling as just as easy as the iPhone.

The Nokia camera apps are awesome. Great settings to compliment the KICK BUTT camera with a dedicated button.

I am currently on my free trial of the XBOX Music Pass and really enjoy it. I listen to a lot of music at work and in the car. The downloading and streaming sound great.

Overall, I am a very happy user. I really enjoy this phone and cannot wait to see where it goes. I am not regretting my switch at all.

Pros:
1. Phone size/shape/Screen
2. True LTE
3. Great BlueTooth Syncing & WP8 Assistant
4. Very, VERY quick.
5. Awesome camera.

Cons:
1. Obvious - App store does not have the Apple selection.
2. Not a fan of the Internet Explorer - I want Chrome (C'mon Google!)
3. Sometimes it takes a lot of swipes to get where I am going -- But it looks awesome when I swipe through the screens. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
gpEcM.gif

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Users reviews are more useful in determining whether a device is for you or not in my opinion. It would be great to see more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a formal iPhone user myself. And I couldn't have said it better myself. Great breakdown of the device and OS. And big ups for not bashing the app store.

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Good review, hopefully others in your position will find it through an internet search. Curious about your one-handing successes though, when you say you can't articulate, what exactly do you mean? Can you physically not reach the buttons on for example, the upper right hand or lower right hand side if holding with your left hand? I'm yet to hold the phone in my hand and while I'm not expecting to be able to one hand everything, I'm curious to learn more.

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Good review, hopefully others in your position will find it through an internet search. Curious about your one-handing successes though, when you say you can't articulate, what exactly do you mean? Can you physically not reach the buttons on for example, the upper right hand or lower right hand side if holding with your left hand? I'm yet to hold the phone in my hand and while I'm not expecting to be able to one hand everything, I'm curious to learn more.

Yes. When Holding the phone in my hand, on the iPhone I was able to use my thumb to go through all the screens and get to where I am wanting to go. Due to the size of the Lumia 920, I can't bend and stretch my thumb to hit the opposite side of the screen.

Say I am holding the phone in my left hand, if I wanted to push the Search icon (bottom right of the phone) I have to move the way I am holding the phone to get my thumb to reach over there. It is possible but puts my into a situation where I wouldn't be holding the phone securely. I am still able to scroll and swipe through screens with no problem. It's just trying to click items that would be on the opposite side of the phone, only about a 1/5th stripe. It's really not a big deal to the user -- It just shows that the phone is significantly larger than what I am used to with the iPhone.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Good review, I hope the app store will rapidly start to improve. There is definitely a market for a smaller slimer WP8 phone and I hope we will have such a device my Spring 2013. I love the big screen but not everyone wants a huge phone.

yatia

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Excellent review Dray0n, I got my 920 last night but haven't really had much time to play with it yet but can echo much of what you said in the few hours that I've tinkered with it. Being another iOS convert it's quite a change but one that I'm enjoying!

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Great review coming from an ios user. Congratulations on an awesome device. Well come to the 920 club. :p

On the difficulties of navigating with one hand, I find the screen and capacitive buttons to be so responsive that if you slide the phone into your palm horizontally. Then you can use whichever digit is closest to sort of grip the phone and your finger, well mine at least, wraps around just enough to activate a far left tile or the opposite in you case. I find myself needing to back out of things sometimes with one hand and its helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077