Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Anyone know why when using a Hotmail account on WP8 that there isn't an option to sync manually?
    It's there on my work Outlook account but has been replaced by Daily in the sync settings under Hotmail. This wasn't an issue in WP7 and I can't see any reason why MS would have changed it.

bump. this is also my question! curiously, i can sync a second hotmail/live account manually but not my primary hotmail account. thoughts?

Mine has it.

Maybe you can try and go to the mail app and sync there.

Ah. Just in case you misunderstand, I can sync the mail manually when i open the mail app as normal, however, within the sync settings there is not a sync manually option. I only have 'as items arrive - every 15 mins- every 30 mins- hourly - daily' no 'manually' option. My second hotmail account pinned on the phone allows me to select that option, and is currently set like so. I'm curious as to why this is...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkk101 View Post
    Ah. Just in case you misunderstand, I can sync the mail manually when i open the mail app as normal, however, within the sync settings there is not a sync manually option. I only have 'as items arrive - every 15 mins- every 30 mins- hourly - daily' no 'manually' option. My second hotmail account pinned on the phone allows me to select that option, and is currently set like so. I'm curious as to why this is...
    Oops, my bad. I misunderstood. Right, it's not there...

no worries, I didnt word my reply well! However the issue seems really odd to me. Particularly, when the manual sync option is present on my second hotmail account! hmm...

Anyone found the solution to this yet?

This is exactly my issue.

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts
    It only happens to primary Windows account where all your phone settings and SMSs are backed up to. I suspect it is by design since the phone needs to back up so many things to that account anyway. They don't want you to have a misconception that if you set it to sync manually, there will be no data usage as long as you don't sync the mail.

I suspect the phone is designed to backup to the primary account at least once a day. Hence, they limit you to sync emails at least once a day. It will be silly not to sync the mails while it is storing stuff into the main mail account.
    Thanked by:

Thank you for the explanation there. Where can i see the backed up sms's via my hotmail/outlook? They are set to back up iirc. Or is this to literally back up a new handset upon replacing/upgrading etc? ie they're not necessarily viewable via the web.

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts
    The backed up SMS is hidden from web view. But there are quite a few threads here about how to hack the URL to view them. Do a search.
    Thanked by:

yeah i've seen those threads, hasn't worked for me sadly. no worries, thanks for answering man.

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts
    Most of the hacks didn't work for me either but one of them worked (but forgot which one) and I saw all my SMSs. So, they are there. :) That's all I care for now.