How to close background apps?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately MS hasn't put in a nice close option on that task switcher screen (hopefully they do in one of these upcoming WP8 updates) so you have to pick an app from that screen then back arrow again to close it, rinse and repeat for any others. I tend to just back arrow out of apps in general unless I specifically want to keep it open in the background so my open apps list tends to be short or empty most of the time.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They're not consuming any processing time at all, so there's no real need to. And if the phone decides it needs the memory, it will tombstone them. But if you want to close them yourself, tap the one you want to close, and then use the back button to close it. Back button is the only way to "close" an app in Windows Phone. But let the phone manage memory - this isn't Android, so there's no need for you to have to worry about it.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Well to be fair, while it isn't absolutely necessary and doesn't bother me, it would still be nice for those that do like to micro manage their apps to allow for an exit button or a swipe to close feature on that task switching window. Would be really easy to implement too.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well to be fair, while it isn't absolutely necessary and doesn't bother me, it would still be nice for those that do like to micro manage their apps to allow for an exit button or a swipe to close feature on that task switching window. Would be really easy to implement too.

Yeah....... I do have to admit that being OCD in more than one area of life, I hit the back button more than I do the start button....... But that's because I'm OCD, and not because I'm concerned about resources being hogged by running apps (because they're not running).

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
For Internet Explorer, it is a little different. If you use the task switcher to get to IE, it will have your history intact. If you had a long browsing session, it could take quite a while to back button out of IE. Instead of using the task switcher, just launch IE again, this will clear your history and a single press of the back button will close it. This is nice when you are about to hand your phone to someone and you don't want them to see what you have just been browsing. Unfortunately it does not clear the recent list from the options menu.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For Internet Explorer, it is a little different. If you use the task switcher to get to IE, it will have your history intact. If you had a long browsing session, it could take quite a while to back button out of IE. Instead of using the task switcher, just launch IE again, this will clear your history and a single press of the back button will close it. This is nice when you are about to hand your phone to someone and you don't want them to see what you have just been browsing. Unfortunately it does not clear the recent list from the options menu.

Thank you for this tip!

Pwnisher

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Easy to do. I figured this out when Nokia Drive drained my battery. You can obviously do this with any app. See the example below:

Link from Nokia site:
Troubleshooting - How can I prevent the battery from draining when using Nokia Drive in my Nokia with Windows Phone? - Nokia - USA

Text:
When not using Drive, remember to exit the application and don't leave it running in the background. Long press the back key to view the applications you have active in the background. Select Drive and exit the application by using the back key.

Dray0n

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with finding myself clicking the back button to the home screen until it sticks. On the iPhone, I would obsessively close my background applications.

It would be nice, with the way the phone flows, to the have the webOS style close where you swipe the apps up to exit out of them.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I agree with finding myself clicking the back button to the home screen until it sticks. On the iPhone, I would obsessively close my background applications.

It would be nice, with the way the phone flows, to the have the webOS style close where you swipe the apps up to exit out of them.

Yeah i bet they add something like this except maybe with a swipe down since that's more or less how you close apps in Win 8 via touch now.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
They're not consuming any processing time at all, so there's no real need to. And if the phone decides it needs the memory, it will tombstone them. But if you want to close them yourself, tap the one you want to close, and then use the back button to close it. Back button is the only way to "close" an app in Windows Phone. But let the phone manage memory - this isn't Android, so there's no need for you to have to worry about it.

LOL this is not true for Nokia Drive on the 920.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

There are exceptions and this is one of them. When you install an app that is allowed to run constantly as this one is, you will be prompted and notified (though most just click on through - the socially engineered method to malware), although in this instance, you were not notified because the app was preinstalled on the phone.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Yes it is. Just disable it from running in the background. Backing out closes it like any other app.

There are exceptions and this is one of them. When you install an app that is allowed to run constantly as this one is, you will be prompted and notified (though most just click on through - the socially engineered method to malware), although in this instance, you were not notified because the app was preinstalled on the phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. Just disable it from running in the background. Backing out closes it like any other app.

While this is true, hitting the start button does not stop it from running as it does other apps, so my statement is true. Other apps cease all processing when you hit the start button. Apps like this one, or apps that play media (xbox music, Nokia music) can continue. Normal apps can not.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

You also just can open the Tab selection and close all tabs, which leaves you with an empty one. Then hit back and IE exits.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Trade offs. With Drive running in the background, you still get turn by turn and speed warnings if the phone is 'asleep'. You just need to train yourself to turn Drive off when not using it.

if you don't need direction, and you are just looking up locations, use Nokia Maps instead of drive.

Last edited:

ekleeman

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do need to worry about it because when I don't want an app to pop up and remind me that some mp3 was playing I want it turned off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb