Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Paul Natural's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    When I hold the back button, a few other apps show up, how do i close them?
  2. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Unfortunately MS hasn't put in a nice close option on that task switcher screen (hopefully they do in one of these upcoming WP8 updates) so you have to pick an app from that screen then back arrow again to close it, rinse and repeat for any others. I tend to just back arrow out of apps in general unless I specifically want to keep it open in the background so my open apps list tends to be short or empty most of the time.
    TheXFather and mas9973 like this.
  3. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    They're not consuming any processing time at all, so there's no real need to. And if the phone decides it needs the memory, it will tombstone them. But if you want to close them yourself, tap the one you want to close, and then use the back button to close it. Back button is the only way to "close" an app in Windows Phone. But let the phone manage memory - this isn't Android, so there's no need for you to have to worry about it.
  4. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    Fortunately MS hasn't had a need to put in a nice close option on that task switcher screen
    FTFY
    Last edited by hopmedic; 02-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
  5. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Well to be fair, while it isn't absolutely necessary and doesn't bother me, it would still be nice for those that do like to micro manage their apps to allow for an exit button or a swipe to close feature on that task switching window. Would be really easy to implement too.
    fifthGear likes this.
  6. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    Well to be fair, while it isn't absolutely necessary and doesn't bother me, it would still be nice for those that do like to micro manage their apps to allow for an exit button or a swipe to close feature on that task switching window. Would be really easy to implement too.
    Yeah....... I do have to admit that being OCD in more than one area of life, I hit the back button more than I do the start button....... But that's because I'm OCD, and not because I'm concerned about resources being hogged by running apps (because they're not running).
  7. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Ditto. =)
  8. Necroscope's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    For Internet Explorer, it is a little different. If you use the task switcher to get to IE, it will have your history intact. If you had a long browsing session, it could take quite a while to back button out of IE. Instead of using the task switcher, just launch IE again, this will clear your history and a single press of the back button will close it. This is nice when you are about to hand your phone to someone and you don't want them to see what you have just been browsing. Unfortunately it does not clear the recent list from the options menu.
  9. lottidah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    For Internet Explorer, it is a little different. If you use the task switcher to get to IE, it will have your history intact. If you had a long browsing session, it could take quite a while to back button out of IE. Instead of using the task switcher, just launch IE again, this will clear your history and a single press of the back button will close it. This is nice when you are about to hand your phone to someone and you don't want them to see what you have just been browsing. Unfortunately it does not clear the recent list from the options menu.
    Thank you for this tip!
  10. Pwnisher's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Easy to do. I figured this out when Nokia Drive drained my battery. You can obviously do this with any app. See the example below:

    Link from Nokia site:
    Troubleshooting - How can I prevent the battery from draining when using Nokia Drive in my Nokia with Windows Phone? - Nokia - USA

    Text:
    When not using Drive, remember to exit the application and don't leave it running in the background. Long press the back key to view the applications you have active in the background. Select Drive and exit the application by using the back key.
  11. Dray0n's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I agree with finding myself clicking the back button to the home screen until it sticks. On the iPhone, I would obsessively close my background applications.

    It would be nice, with the way the phone flows, to the have the webOS style close where you swipe the apps up to exit out of them.
  12. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray0n View Post
    I agree with finding myself clicking the back button to the home screen until it sticks. On the iPhone, I would obsessively close my background applications.

    It would be nice, with the way the phone flows, to the have the webOS style close where you swipe the apps up to exit out of them.
    Yeah i bet they add something like this except maybe with a swipe down since that's more or less how you close apps in Win 8 via touch now.
  13. badMojo69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    605 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    They're not consuming any processing time at all, so there's no real need to. And if the phone decides it needs the memory, it will tombstone them. But if you want to close them yourself, tap the one you want to close, and then use the back button to close it. Back button is the only way to "close" an app in Windows Phone. But let the phone manage memory - this isn't Android, so there's no need for you to have to worry about it.
    LOL this is not true for Nokia Drive on the 920.
  14. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post
    LOL this is not true for Nokia Drive on the 920.
    There are exceptions and this is one of them. When you install an app that is allowed to run constantly as this one is, you will be prompted and notified (though most just click on through - the socially engineered method to malware), although in this instance, you were not notified because the app was preinstalled on the phone.
  15. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post
    LOL this is not true for Nokia Drive on the 920.
    Yes it is. Just disable it from running in the background. Backing out closes it like any other app.

    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    There are exceptions and this is one of them. When you install an app that is allowed to run constantly as this one is, you will be prompted and notified (though most just click on through - the socially engineered method to malware), although in this instance, you were not notified because the app was preinstalled on the phone.
  16. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Yes it is. Just disable it from running in the background. Backing out closes it like any other app.
    While this is true, hitting the start button does not stop it from running as it does other apps, so my statement is true. Other apps cease all processing when you hit the start button. Apps like this one, or apps that play media (xbox music, Nokia music) can continue. Normal apps can not.
  17. marratj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    For Internet Explorer, it is a little different. If you use the task switcher to get to IE, it will have your history intact. If you had a long browsing session, it could take quite a while to back button out of IE. Instead of using the task switcher, just launch IE again, this will clear your history and a single press of the back button will close it. This is nice when you are about to hand your phone to someone and you don't want them to see what you have just been browsing. Unfortunately it does not clear the recent list from the options menu.
    You also just can open the Tab selection and close all tabs, which leaves you with an empty one. Then hit back and IE exits.
  18. Necroscope's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post
    LOL this is not true for Nokia Drive on the 920.

    Trade offs. With Drive running in the background, you still get turn by turn and speed warnings if the phone is 'asleep'. You just need to train yourself to turn Drive off when not using it.

    if you don't need direction, and you are just looking up locations, use Nokia Maps instead of drive.
    Last edited by Necroscope; 11-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.
  19. ekleeman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Yes I do need to worry about it because when I don't want an app to pop up and remind me that some mp3 was playing I want it turned off.
  20. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    Yeah i bet they add something like this except maybe with a swipe down since that's more or less how you close apps in Win 8 via touch now.
    I really hope they implement something like this in a future update.
  21. hopmedic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5,169 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,260 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekleeman View Post
    Yes I do need to worry about it because when I don't want an app to pop up and remind me that some mp3 was playing I want it turned off.
    Press the back button. That's your other option. You're worrying about something that isn't a worry. Welcome to Windows Phone, where the phone manages the tasks and you don't have to.
  22. samihussein's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Do the following:
    1. Long press on the back button to bring out the background apps
    2. THEN double press the back button at each app to close it permenantly
    Thats it!
  23. manunitedfan5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by samihussein View Post
    Do the following:
    1. Long press on the back button to bring out the background apps
    2. THEN double press the back button at each app to close it permenantly
    Thats it!
    I tried double tapping in the browser but didn't exit, is there anyother way to close the browser?
  24. samihussein's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Hi,
    this is the only way i know
    moreover, sometimes, just tapping the back button twice without longly pressing it works.
    i tried it myself with browser and it worked !
    Doohickie likes this.
  25. Rahul Deshpande's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    I loved the way webOS managed it...it is nice that WP8 has the card like structure...if only they could add the close down functionality...
    xandros9 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This is how you close an App permanently
    By wasonamit in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 03:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
  3. how to close a live.com account?
    By MikaelSmoot in forum Microsoft News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM
  4. How to Pray Salah App
    By Obaid Ghafoor in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 04:47 AM
  5. guide how to download removed apps after mango update.
    By xbl's Aussie Revhead in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

";