App carry-over to new phone

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I haven't yet upgraded to WP8 and haven't heard anything on how this works yet.

When upgrading to a WP8 phone, how exactly do apps carry over? I use Windows Phone 8 for Mac (formerly Windows Phone Connector) and I don't see anything that stores and restores apps in the program, and given how WP8 is on the new kernel, I don't expect that to work anyway.

So when you upgrade how do your apps transfer over? Is there a way to download them all at once or do you have to download them all one by one again? And I really wouldn't expect this, but you don't have to repay for any paid apps do you?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
1. You don't have to repay, when you hit 'buy' on the app from the phone it will tell you that you already bought it and would you like to reinstall.
2. There used to be a Reinstaller app that worked to mass reinstall, but it doesn't anymore. Check your purchase history at WindowsPhone.com (after you sign in), reinstall from there.
3. Some apps from WP7 won't be recompiled for WP8, so you'll lose those. If it isn't available, you'll see the following message at WindowsPhone.com:
Your version of the Windows Phone software is not supported by this application.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Your version of the Windows Phone software is not supported by this application.
And when you see this, contact the developer and politely ask him if he is planning to update his app to be compatible with WP8 - that way at least you'll know. ;-)

Please don't do like some I've seen, and leave low star ratings, with a note that it doesn't work on WP8. That's not fair. He didn't write the app for WP8. He wrote it for WP7. And most of us, with a very select few exceptions, didn't get the WP8 SDK until the day WP8 launched, much to our chagrin...... No, don't be unfair to the developer. Contact him by email, and perhaps even suggest that he put a note in his app description that it doesn't work in WP8. And if you get an app that installs but doesn't work right? Same deal - odds are he didn't write it for WP8, but Microsoft recompiled it for WP8. Contact him and let him know. Don't hold it against a dev that Microsoft changed the game on him.

On behalf of devs everywhere, I thank you for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99