Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

So I transferred a file from Windows 8 pro to my Windows Phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 920) where did my 10mb file go?

I can't find it anywhere.

Anybody done this and actually found the file you transferred to your phone?
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    What kind of file was it?

It was either a .rar or .zip I can't remember

PIN
    No
    Since there are no apps that support reading zip or rar files, you probably won't physically see the zip file on the phone.

On a side note, a friend emailed me photos in a zip file, when I opened the zip file through the email, a file explorer page opened up with the all the photos listed in it and I was able to tap and open each photo. So you should try emailing it to yourself and open it that way and then save the individual files.
    Windows - Surface RT

Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

GK Vignesh likes this.

Wow!..this is crappy.. now I have a 10mb file on my phone I can't see or Remove LOL! NICE!
    Last edited by GregL2012; 11-30-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Hey Greg,

So did you find a solution for your problem? The lack of a File Manager app is pissing me off.
    Cheers

same here!! cant find the video file which I transferred to my phone via Bluetooth!! kindly help
    I have transferred some files from Samsung Ace phone to my Laptop with Windows 8. The files were displayed in buetooth folder. But after restarting the Laptop, the transferred disappeared and the buetooth folder showed it as empty.
    Where did the transferred go?
    Is there any way by whichI can retrieve these files?
    Is there any method by which one save files tranferred via bluetooth on hard disk with Windows 8 as OS
    Same here. I transferred a video and now i can't find it, even when connected to PC.
    Has anyone found solution?? It uses the memory.. Crap!

that video will be located in your "Saved pictures" in your Photos

Same here :( Why still Microsoft didn't over come this small thing!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Javed Wasef View Post
    Hey Greg,

So did you find a solution for your problem? The lack of a File Manager app is pissing me off.
    Cheers
    Banned

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Actually, use the archiver app to transfer the file

Where will the received and Downloaded "Music files and PDF files" get saved? I can't find those files when i view from my PC.

Yup,
    I too downloaded a zip file from IE but not could not find it. Thankfully it was only 1 Mb file.

Can someone help me ?? I got Nokia Lumia 920.
    Tried everything but in vain !!

I have the same problem, lost file of 20MB. This is ridiculous, gosh, I missed my N9.

This is Strange, I got my lumia 2 days ago and i have been looking all phone for my stored files , File manager doesn't exist ??? Then how to delete or manage files stored .

same with me. i hope microsoft can fix it..seriously it can make my lumia is not smartphone.

I transferred 1GB of FLAC audio from my N9 to WP8X via Bluetooth, only to have WP8X told me it cannot play FLAC. Now I have 1GB worth of FLAC in "Other" storage with no way to delete them.

You transferred 1gb file using Bluetooth?!! How long did it take?😇

And people say there's no need of File Manager....Huh.....
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vish2801 View Post
    And people say there's no need of File Manager....Huh.....
    In the threads about this issue that I've read, I don't recall anyone saying there's no need for a file manager. Rather the argument is that the security restrictions that WP8 is built on would preclude the inclusion of a 'file manager' in its traditional sense. What's needed is a solution to the various file management problems pertinent to various activities and scenarios, rather than a general file manager per se.

Quote Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
    In the threads about this issue that I've read, I don't recall anyone saying there's no need for a file manager. Rather the argument is that the security restrictions that WP8 is built on would preclude the inclusion of a 'file manager' in its traditional sense. What's needed is a solution to the various file management problems pertinent to various activities and scenarios, rather than a general file manager per se.
    Instead of looking something else, why can't we have freaking file manager..... MS can do it for winRT then why not for wp...???

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Instead of looking something else, why can't we have freaking file manager..... MS can do it for winRT then why not for wp...???
    Because freaking WinRT is not freaking WP8.

Quote Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
    Because freaking WinRT is not freaking WP8.

facepalm....MS and many people claim about how secure is winRT then how it has world's great file explorer and it's gonna get metrofied version but not WP ??? I have created a thread about it, do you think WP should be winRT feature wise ??

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    facepalm....MS and many people claim about how secure is winRT then how it has world's great file explorer and it's gonna get metrofied version but not WP ??? I have created a thread about it, do you think WP should be winRT feature wise ??
    sigh...WinRT is a different operating system with a different underlying security architecture. It's not designed as a light-on-resources phone OS. One of the things everyone praises WP8 for is how lag-free and fluid it is, even on low-end hardware. While WinRT doesn't require the resources of Win 8, it certainly is a "heavier" OS than WP8. So running WinRT on, say, Lumia 620 grade hardware may produce an experience akin to the much maligned Android OS running on low end hardware - laaaaaagggggyyyyy.

Now you may want a full WinRT phone, and given some hot hardware it could work - and it certainly may have a place in the greater scheme of things - but WP8 certainly isn't going to BECOME WinRT and vice versa, though some underlying components may be shared between them. Basically WP8 is...a phone. WinRT is a general purpose computing platform. So the features and underlying security structures of the two are DIFFERENT.

So yes, Microsoft could CHOOSE to implement a general purpose file manager for WP8, but it's not as simple as just porting one from WinRT. Microsoft may well consider it worthwhile to perform some surgery on WP to include a general file manager at some point. Who knows? I think they'll find other ways of getting around the issues that people are currently complaining about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast