Facebook Integration

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so, I decided to nuke the Facebook app and give the built-in Facebook integration a try. Here's my question: if I filter my contact list in the People app to exclude Facebook contacts, will that prevent updates by those people from appearing in the "what's new" section of the Me app?

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. Anyway, why don't you just run both of them, and use built-in facebook for lockscreen features and more advanced stuff then the built-in provides (Not bashing built in, but it wasn't made as a primary app for facebook users, more to work with your pictures, phone, and people hubs.)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I mind wind up doing just that, but I want to explore the built-in integration without the app as a "crutch" for now. Just to see how well (or poorly) it works.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. Anyway, why don't you just run both of them, and use built-in facebook for lockscreen features and more advanced stuff then the built-in provides (Not bashing built in, but it wasn't made as a primary app for facebook users, more to work with your pictures, phone, and people hubs.)
Who says the built in fb integration isn't intended to be a primary app?
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the OP. I'm going to try the baked in fb only for a while and see if I miss the app. It seems redundant to use both. What can't you do with the built in integration?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh.

Duh.

Nevermind. I was looking in the Me app. My friends Facebook updates show up in the "what's new" section of the People app.

Sorry! :D

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a rad FAQ... of course, it's for WP7 but the concepts are the same. It actually answered my questions, but I'm still only seeing my own updates in "what's new" with Facebook contacts filtered out of my Contact list. I unfiltered Facebook contacts and still didn't see anyone else's updates, so I'm going to have to keep looking.

Thanks for trying it, would like to hear whatever you figure out in the end. I don't integrate Facebook on my WP8, tried that in WP7 and never found the value.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You can not like anybody's comments. Big deal for some, not for others. Otherwise so far that might be it... I think at one time you couldn't accept Facebook invites... not sure if that is still true.

There is one thing that bothers the **** out of me and that includes the app and the baked in stuff. My feeds on Windows Phone are FULL of stupid game notifications... Like Billy Bob's unlocked X from LameGame. This is on the recent feed option.

The kicker is that on the web version, or on the iOS or Android client using the same feed, all those stupid annoying things never, ever show up. I've hidden those things and they stay hidden on every other version but Windows Phone. That's why I grab my LamePad 2 or go to my Windows 7 desktop when I want to do some hardcore Facebooking. :)

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
You can not like anybody's comments. Big deal for some, not for others. Otherwise so far that might be it... I think at one time you couldn't accept Facebook invites... not sure if that is still true.

There is one thing that bothers the **** out of me and that includes the app and the baked in stuff. My feeds on Windows Phone are FULL of stupid game notifications... Like Billy Bob's unlocked X from LameGame. This is on the recent feed option.

The kicker is that on the web version, or on the iOS or Android client using the same feed, all those stupid annoying things never, ever show up. I've hidden those things and they stay hidden on every other version but Windows Phone. That's why I grab my LamePad 2 or go to my Windows 7 desktop when I want to do some hardcore Facebooking. :)

That's my biggest complaint about the app. All the stupid crap that I've hidden from my fb feed shows up! Its awful!!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
would like to hear whatever you figure out in the end

Having now used FB integration for the last 2 days without the app, I can say that it will work for me. But, like almost everything, that's not without a few caveats.

The first caveat is that while you can filter FB contacts out of your contact list, you cannot (at least I haven't found a way to) filter FB photo albums out of your photo app. I'm not a big user of FB for photo storage; I share a photo and that's it. So having them clutter up my photo app is a wee bit annoying; not, like, an "OMG THIS IS SO BAD I CAN'T USE IT" thing, more of a "I wish I could hide these albums and now I won't think on it again" thing.

The second caveat is that it appears as though you can't like or comment on something you're tagged in through the "what's new" tab of the people app. You have to do it from the "me" sub-app (tab? ack, there needs to be names for these things, heh!). If you try to do it through "what's new" you get an error about being unable to post. That's a wee bit wonky.

Other than that... for my usage, I see no reason to clutter up my phone with a stand-alone app for Facebook. I'll move on to Twitter next. :)

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't get FB messaging to work on the integrated hub. Any ideas how? I really like the integrated hub, it's enough for me except for the fact I can't check my messages.

seraphim19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I honestly dont even like to read all the posts on facebook, there is just a bunch of people i care to hear from of the 150+ friends i have. So i created a group of the people i care about and just check that groups 'what's new' when i want to check FB.

on a side note i also dont like the FB application, so i pinned a shortcut to m.facebook.com because i think the browser version of facebook is awesome with its html5. I used WIZTILES to make the tile pretty like a fb application tile. Works like a boss.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I use both the built in integration AND the app. I find the integration is best for participating in threads about stuff I post (comments, links, photos, videos) and the app is the best way to follow the "general feed." YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb