Wait for coloured Lumia 920 or go HTC 8X now?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Rogers only has black 920s but I want a cyan or yellow one. Rumors are a yellow one will be coming out some time. Should I wait or just get an 8X now?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i've played with the 8x camera with my lumia 920 side by side. the 8x has a nice camera but it isnt the 920's. so i think real question here is, how important is the camera to you? if it's not that important then get the 8x now. they are both nice devices. me, i take pics and shoot alot of videos. i cant give up the camera.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the 920 before it was released, then when they released the 920 and 8X, I went to the AT&T store and held both of them. I quickly lost interest in the 920 and got the 8x. I think the 8x is so much nicer. The 920 felt too big to and the 8x had more style. They are both nice phones, I just really like the 8x allot better. I was surprised, cause I was already sold on getting the 920 before it got released.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the 8X but I'll probably get the 8GB version if I can convince my carrier to give me a discount which could end up making the 8X $100 cheaper than the 920. But then in the future I'm sure the Lumia would be easier to sell especially with its 32 GB storage. The 920's darker, smoother, more sensitive screen is also such a temptation. So confusing.

mpovolo

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally I went 920, not so much because of the camera but rather I believe software updates and add on apps are more likely from nokia over HTC. I specifically want the Play To app that Nokia had for WP7, still waiting for it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the 8X but I'll probably get the 8GB version if I can convince my carrier to give me a discount which could end up making the 8X $100 cheaper than the 920. But then in the future I'm sure the Lumia would be easier to sell especially with its 32 GB storage. The 920's darker, smoother, more sensitive screen is also such a temptation. So confusing.

I would NOT get the 8 GB version. With the OS and all the built-ins you will be left with barely 4-5GB which isn't nearly enough for any smartphone.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What would I use 16GB for? I don't play games on phones, I have my nexus 7 for movies and stuff, I can easily stream other media, I would only use a few specific apps.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does the black 920 really look boring and crappy? I really don't want to go for the black.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What would I use 16GB for? I don't play games on phones, I have my nexus 7 for movies and stuff, I can easily stream other media, I would only use a few specific apps.

Go for it then. I'm just saying 8 GB is REALLY marginal, even for the most casual of users. I'd spring for the extra few dollars. You are not going to regret spending a little more, but you may very well regret not having as much memory as you need down the road.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I gotta agree, I would go with the 16GB. 8 may work for you, but I always like to have more than enough. I got my Verizon 8x 16GB at Best Buy for $99, traded my old phone in and got an additional $55 of bringing the phone down to $45.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
so i think real question here is, how important is the camera to you? if it's not that important then get the 8x now.

Oh my god thats SO not the question.

The question is do you want the improved screen of the Lumia 920, the Nokia Music app (great app btw, like a mix between pandora and spotify of sorts, with offline play), downloadable maps with turn-by-turn navigation, a lockbutton at a reasonable position (thats my taste, I never understood the concept of a lockkey on top of the device), a solid build that really has that quality and reassuring solid feel, wireless charging (this is a godsent tbh), etcetera.

Also, Nokia are good at updating their phones. HTC has iirc a bad trackrecord.

Or do you want Beatz audio.

Personally I just looked at the devices and instantly decided on the 920, because I cant stand that design on the 8x myself. I really think its hideous. But thats personal taste, for sure.

Id say if you want a WP8 phone get either the 920 or the Samsung Ativ S. From reviews Ive read, they seem to be the clear choices for an upper-shelf WP8 device right now.

And Id say, coming from the SGS3, that the build quality of the 920 and the fact that its not an AMOLED screen makes it win out over the Ativ S (you can have a white background on your homescreen/etc without worrying that your phone is using 120% more battery because of it, which for me is quite a good thing). And since the Ativ S uses the same screen as SGS3, I can say from my own experience that the Nokia screen wins that battle.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget the slimmer design and the higher DPI for crisper text on the 8X when compared to the Lumia 920. It might not matter to you, but does matter to some.

- VDubb

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, thats true, its thinner and lighter, and higher DPI.

Course the text isnt really crisper since... its as 768x1280 and 720x1280 display, the text is about as crisp as possible on both devices :p .

Does the display of the 8x iirc give a weird viewing experience on metroTube? Like black borders on the sides or something? I read that somewhere, but would be nice to confirm/deny :) .

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll wait a bit more and see what comes out. The moment the yellow comes out if it does I'll get that otherwise I'll reconsider whether to go nexus 4 or 8x.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh my god thats SO not the question.

The question is do you want the improved screen of the Lumia 920, the Nokia Music app (great app btw, like a mix between pandora and spotify of sorts, with offline play), downloadable maps with turn-by-turn navigation, a lockbutton at a reasonable position (thats my taste, I never understood the concept of a lockkey on top of the device), a solid build that really has that quality and reassuring solid feel, wireless charging (this is a godsent tbh), etcetera.

Also, Nokia are good at updating their phones. HTC has iirc a bad trackrecord.

Or do you want Beatz audio.

Personally I just looked at the devices and instantly decided on the 920, because I cant stand that design on the 8x myself. I really think its hideous. But thats personal taste, for sure.

Id say if you want a WP8 phone get either the 920 or the Samsung Ativ S. From reviews Ive read, they seem to be the clear choices for an upper-shelf WP8 device right now.

And Id say, coming from the SGS3, that the build quality of the 920 and the fact that its not an AMOLED screen makes it win out over the Ativ S (you can have a white background on your homescreen/etc without worrying that your phone is using 120% more battery because of it, which for me is quite a good thing). And since the Ativ S uses the same screen as SGS3, I can say from my own experience that the Nokia screen wins that battle.

omg that so was my question when it came to me deciding on the 8x and 920.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
omgaykicbyjsd!

Yeah I guess for some that would be A question. Definitely not THE question, though. Your comment made it sound like that was the only real distinguishing factor, which promted my response. And that does totally make sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3