Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 130
Like Tree43Likes
  1. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
       #26  
    But don't knock them for wanting to make something for their hard work.


    I'm not - they can charge for their apps, or put ads in their apps, but I think the "freemium" app only exists to trick people (kids) into unknowingly spending actual money.

    Why does Gameloft, for example, have to charge $0.99 for Asphalt 7, and then have TONS of in app purchases for, yknow, nitro boost and different car colors and stuff? They're GAMELOFT, presumably very profitable, and they could charge $2.99 or whatever for the app instead and just give you the entire game. They're trying to intentionally trick people who play the games (again, mostly kids) into giving them more money than they'd get just by charging a fair price for the app in the first place.

    And, the freemium model wasn't a problem before, but now way too many apps in iOS are using it, including non games. Its infuriating.
  2. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    Which one has the most fluff and garbage on those lists? Many apps show up on each list, but plenty are missing from WP8, and instead there are 3rd party knockoffs and lots of free wallpaper/ringtone fluff.

    Where are the official apps from major sports leagues? MLS has one, but no NFL, MLB, or NHL?
    You're right, but I don't get the knock. If I search for any sport, I can find at least 2 or 3 decent apps to give me scores, team info, league info, etc. Who cares who designs and codes the app? If the same functionality is there, its there.

    Where are the streaming video apps? Crackle, Netflix, and Crunchyroll are all good, but where's Hulu, HBO Go, ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC, Xfinity, BBC iPlayer, WatchESPN, MLB.tv, or NHL Gamecenter?
    Again, you're right, but you've named a total of 14 different ways to watch sh*t on your phones. I know people in New York and Boston think the world revolves around them, but not everyone lives in a city where nobody drives and sits on commuter trains watching their phones all day long. I rarely, RARELY, ever see people in public watching TV or movies on their phones. And can you not watch some of these things through their web app equivalents? I'm genuinely curious because, again, I watch TV, yknow, at home. On my TV.

    Official banking apps, only a few so far. Official airline apps, ditto.
    Ok. If you're like most people, you fly like once a year. So I can't get my official Hawaiian airlines app the one time I go to Hawaii. Great.

    Again, my point isn't that there ISN'T an app gap, because there IS, its just not as bad as all the reviews make it out to be. A handful of missing apps does not mean there's a HUGE HOLE in the WP marketplace. Its like saying there's a huge GAME GAP on Playstation because it doesn't have Halo or Gears of War. Its just....untrue.

    Also, how many of the apps are just placeholders? I still consider Yelp to be a missing app, because even though it is in the store, it has almost no features.

    So this is a problem, and it does need to improve.
    It's improving, but its a small problem, and overblown, like the "tank" jokes about the 920. Its uh, not that heavy, and not that much bigger than every other phone, but the weight and size issue is everywhere, because tech journalists who do nothing but review phones all day have to come up with SOMETHING to b*tch about in their blog posts.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 
  3. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    It's not about quantity, it's about quality. Things will likely get better, but right now, the app ecosystem is a big downside to this platform. Take a look at the "top free" lists for each platform:

    iPhone
    Android
    Windows Phone 8

    Which one has the most fluff and garbage on those lists? Many apps show up on each list, but plenty are missing from WP8, and instead there are 3rd party knockoffs and lots of free wallpaper/ringtone fluff.

    Where are the official apps from major sports leagues? MLS has one, but no NFL, MLB, or NHL?

    Where are the streaming video apps? Crackle, Netflix, and Crunchyroll are all good, but where's Hulu, HBO Go, ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC, Xfinity, BBC iPlayer, WatchESPN, MLB.tv, or NHL Gamecenter?

    Official banking apps, only a few so far. Official airline apps, ditto.

    Also, how many of the apps are just placeholders? I still consider Yelp to be a missing app, because even though it is in the store, it has almost no features.

    So this is a problem, and it does need to improve.
    I don't know if it's a VZW or Nokia exclusive, but I have both ESPN and NFL mobile on my phone
  4. runam0k's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #29  
    It's simple: it's only ever an issue when you can't find the app you want.... which happens a lot on WP and almost never on iOS or Android.

    It's a problem and I have noticed it numerous times. Most recent example for me: I want to use Spotify on my WP8. I can't until "early next year". Great. Splashtop is another example (yes, I can remote connect using other apps but they are not as good and they don't use my existing Splashtop installs). ETA for Splashtop on WP: none. Okay, not as critical for the masses as Angry Birds, but it illustrates the point nonetheless: WP is low (if not last) on most devs' list or priorities. There's no point pretending otherwise.
  5. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    I'm not - they can charge for their apps, or put ads in their apps, but I think the "freemium" app only exists to trick people (kids) into unknowingly spending actual money.

    Why does Gameloft, for example, have to charge $0.99 for Asphalt 7, and then have TONS of in app purchases for, yknow, nitro boost and different car colors and stuff? They're GAMELOFT, presumably very profitable, and they could charge $2.99 or whatever for the app instead and just give you the entire game. They're trying to intentionally trick people who play the games (again, mostly kids) into giving them more money than they'd get just by charging a fair price for the app in the first place.

    And, the freemium model wasn't a problem before, but now way too many apps in iOS are using it, including non games. Its infuriating. [/COLOR]
    I'm not addressing the who - that's not my point. I'm speaking from the point of being an independent developer, so however the money can be gotten, that's the way an indie should do it - AS LONG AS IT IS ETHICAL. Big development houses, maybe not so much. You're right - they can afford to do things a bit differently. But from my perspective (and I am NOT a game developer, BTW, so I'm not in an area where the money is anyway), you get them hooked, you get them to like your app, then you throw them a bone that they can't resist.

    One of my apps is a Weight Watchers points tracking app, for instance. Right now it's totally free, with ads at the bottom. Right now all it does calculate points based on fat, carbs, fiber, and protein, track your points on a daily and weekly basis, and if you have a WW online membership, you can log into the site within my app to look up points, say for restaurant food for instance. If I ever get time, I want to do a few more things. Add a database so you can create a list of your favorite foods, and their point values. Write a Windows 8 app. Make the two apps sync with each other through the cloud.

    Now what I might end up doing is making the free version stay as it is right now, and charge for the extra features. It would be nice if MS had a way for us to charge on one platform and have the app downloadable free on the other - pay on one and it's paid for on the other, like iOS is (from what I understand of iOS, though I've never used iOS), but they currently do not. But that could be written into the app, though, if a developer wanted to do it, as well. The down side of that, since MS doesn't do it on their end, is that the dev would have to have his own server to do it on, which means paying for hosting, and maintaining a database of who's paid.

    My app has a better rating than the official WW app, so if I add these features, I should be able to really knock it out of the park, but who knows... For some reason, I just can't seem to get over the hump of beating them in numbers. My rating is twice as high as theirs, but they have nearly five times the reviews as I do - and my app is in SIX LANGUAGES! I guess marketing isn't my forte.... Plus, for some reason, theirs wants access to your photo, music, and video libraries.... Not sure why? It's a stripped down basic app. I'm guessing their devs didn't know that they should have removed those things from the appmanifest.xml file, which is where that comes from.

    Anyway, it all comes down to one question... "How can I best make money, in an ethical manner?"
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Wyn6 and LikeWaah like this.
  6. mpelti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    You're right, but I don't get the knock. If I search for any sport, I can find at least 2 or 3 decent apps to give me scores, team info, league info, etc. Who cares who designs and codes the app? If the same functionality is there, its there.
    Some people want the official app, not just some third party dev's screen scraper.

    Again, you're right, but you've named a total of 14 different ways to watch sh*t on your phones. I know people in New York and Boston think the world revolves around them, but not everyone lives in a city where nobody drives and sits on commuter trains watching their phones all day long. I rarely, RARELY, ever see people in public watching TV or movies on their phones. And can you not watch some of these things through their web app equivalents? I'm genuinely curious because, again, I watch TV, yknow, at home. On my TV.
    And people who aren't from a major metropolitan area don't understand just how many people do commute on transit, and do use their phones in that way. Public transit carries about 10% of the US population every day(35 million linked trips a day), and that percentage is far higher in Europe and Asia. Yes, the bulk of those trips are in major northern cities like New York, Chicago, Philly, Boston, and DC, but those are also people who are buying smartphones at a high rate.

    But that's only one use case. Over the holidays, there were frequently times when both TVs at my moms house were taken, so i'd just go to the bedroom and watch some netflix. My sister inlaw had a lot more options, watching hbo go and abc shows on her ipad.

    I also see people watching streaming video pretty frequently in the breakroom at work.

    Ok. If you're like most people, you fly like once a year. So I can't get my official Hawaiian airlines app the one time I go to Hawaii. Great.
    Yeah, I don't fly that often. But some people do, I have friends who fly every couple weeks. Unless they fly Delta or American Airlines, they have no options. And those apps are very useful for keeping track of bag tags and gates.

    Again, my point isn't that there ISN'T an app gap, because there IS, its just not as bad as all the reviews make it out to be. A handful of missing apps does not mean there's a HUGE HOLE in the WP marketplace. Its like saying there's a huge GAME GAP on Playstation because it doesn't have Halo or Gears of War. Its just....untrue.

    It's improving, but its a small problem, and overblown, like the "tank" jokes about the 920. Its uh, not that heavy, and not that much bigger than every other phone, but the weight and size issue is everywhere, because tech journalists who do nothing but review phones all day have to come up with SOMETHING to b*tch about in their blog posts.
    It is a substantial hole in the marketplace. Video games are different, because the vast majority of apps are on both PS3 and Xbox, and also because only money prevents you from having both, whereas carrying a second device to make up for the lack of apps is an inconvenience (trust me, I've been keeping my android phone in my bag and using it almost daily). Underestimating the apps issue is not something MS can afford to do. It's a testament to how good windows phone is that it's the biggest issue.
    Curse this app gap!
  7. tyler198's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #32  
    I am a WP, and I love it. But I will say that if you don't count duplicate apps, or apps that are made by second parties, there is still an app gap in the WP Store. At the same time, I know that the store will now grow to the standards and beyond of iOS and Android.

    With WP 8, Microsoft flat out said that 40 something of the top 50 apps on iOS and Android are now in the store and that's great.

    Also, with Windows 8 sharing the same kernel and coding as WP 8, developers that make a Win8 app will have a better chance of making a WP 8 just because there is little effort.

    So will the app gap shrink? Absolutely. It will just take some time, and I will guess a year-a year and a half before the WP Store has the same number of Quality apps that iOS and Android do.
  8. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    I'm not - they can charge for their apps, or put ads in their apps, but I think the "freemium" app only exists to trick people (kids) into unknowingly spending actual money.

    Why does Gameloft, for example, have to charge $0.99 for Asphalt 7, and then have TONS of in app purchases for, yknow, nitro boost and different car colors and stuff? They're GAMELOFT, presumably very profitable, and they could charge $2.99 or whatever for the app instead and just give you the entire game. They're trying to intentionally trick people who play the games (again, mostly kids) into giving them more money than they'd get just by charging a fair price for the app in the first place.

    And, the freemium model wasn't a problem before, but now way too many apps in iOS are using it, including non games. Its infuriating. [/COLOR]
    Most devs aren't trying to "trick" people. It's just another way to monetize a game.

    They create a game that they hope people will like and feel a connection to. Then if people like it, they will pay money for things "in game."

    It's not much different than XBOX Avatar clothing.

    If you don't like it, don't play it.
  9. mpelti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Most devs aren't trying to "trick" people. It's just another way to monetize a game.
    It depends. In-game purchases should always be clear that you are spending money, and distinguish between free and paid features. If there's no "are you sure" for a paid upgrade, it sure feels like a trap.
    Curse this app gap!
  10. FredW3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    #35  
    I see the 'app gap'. I only have 3 or 4 versions of backgammon available for WP8, not the 8 or 10 available for Android.
    JPDVM2014 likes this.
  11. tyler198's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #36  
    Wait, are you saying that you want 8 or 10 versions of backgammon?
  12. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpelti View Post
    It depends. In-game purchases should always be clear that you are spending money, and distinguish between free and paid features. If there's no "are you sure" for a paid upgrade, it sure feels like a trap.
    I agree with that.

    But let's not make blanket statements about all devs who create freemium games.

    Some are bad and some are good, just like any business. You'll find bad and good games in regular paid games also, where some unethical devs might try to make a game sound much more robust and awesome than it really is.
  13. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I agree with that.

    But let's not make blanket statements about all devs who create freemium games.

    Some are bad and some are good, just like any business. You'll find bad and good games in regular paid games also, where some unethical devs might try to make a game sound much more robust and awesome than it really is.
    Agreed. And I'll be the first to admit that my most downloaded app is, in my opinion, pretty lame, but I was learning at the time (still am, really), and if I had time now to rewrite it, I would, and it would be a lot better.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  14. Covfam's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #39  
    the app gap is there regardless of how fanboy you can get it. i LOVE my 822 phone but, i DONT like alot of the apps, calling the only weakness niche apps is misleading, no HBO2GO ,NO MLB.tv,no HULU PLUS,no Cbs app, no ABC app, no BBC iplayer app, no kobo reader app, no sony reader app, no nook app and kindle app thats on wp8 is basicly a placeholder missing most of the features on ios and android, it cannot make notes, highlite or share passages, no dictionary features, and unable to lock rotations. it missing most all of the basic ereader app functions. no pintrest app, and the highest rated pintrest clone doesnt even let you look at YOUR content it just lets you look at the big generic pintrest feed and you can pin pictures thats it. these arent niche apps that are missing or crippled these are Majors, both the CNN foxnews and ESPN apps while good are missing alot of features of the ios and android counterparts. its a common theme of alot of the official apps over here they are quite stripped down. and you cant expect everyon to try out the 5-10 different 3rd party clones and hope they fill the role for everything. im keeping my great lumia 822 phone i love everything about it except the ecosystem. for the apps im getting an ipod touch 5 to give me quality apps untill the majors make a real presence on windows phone 8 that arent basicly placeholders.
  15. othercents's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by runam0k View Post
    I want to use Spotify on my WP8.
    Even though I listen to music all the time, I removed all the streaming radio stuff from my phone. I can see how this would be nice, but I think I prefer Pandora Radio. Is there another option to just listening to music? I feel as though we have invented ways to use the data bandwidth on our phones to do the same tasks we did before with FM/AM radios or CDs or MP3s. Is music that much different if you stream it over the internet vs playing it from the device? If everyone tuned into the FM radio station isn't that the same social listening as Spotify? Maybe I'm just crazy for not using the phone that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by runam0k View Post
    Splashtop is another example.
    Oh that's a nice app. I will have to download it to my Tablet, but I don't think I would ever use it on a phone. I wonder how frustrating that would be if I was trying to use it on the phone? That would be practical for me on a Windows RT device.

    I'm not trying to knock anyone's app choices, but I think we overuse our phones which is why I moved from my iPhone over to the WP7. I streamlined down to just the social applications I always used, the banking applications, and travel applications. Even the social applications are not used, just the integrated stuff that comes with WP7. Phone calls, email, calendar, banking, travel, and social media.... What more do we need a phone for anymore if you have a tablet that you always carry around?

    Other
  16. bigkevbosky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
       #41  
    Well after reading this thread a few times I guess I missed the point - the "app gap" isn't the problem, the problem is people not doing their research and buying into the Windows Phone platform without realizing its missing half the apps they use.

    If you use HBO Go, the KOBO reader app, the US Bank app, Spotify, and Instagram, then why are you here? Why are you on Windows Phone? You knew it didn't have those apps, or discovered that quickly after you bought your phone, so why didn't you return it and get an iPhone 5 or an Android device?

    If the answer is "well I like the UI of Windows Phone", then you made a choice. You chose a UI interface over app abundance and you have no room to complain. If you want all your apps, you should've stuck with iOS or Android. Its really a simple decision.
  17. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #42  
    The "app gap" is still there and still very prevalent. It's not about how many current apps are there. It's about when devs make new apps, which platforms do they make the apps for. Almost all new apps are pretty much being developed for iOS and Android first. WP is still "we taking the wait and see" approach.

    "Today's top 50" is unless tomorrow if the dev support isn't there to keep WP current with the big boys.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  18. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    413 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    #43  
    This is the main reason I haven't ditched my iPad for a Surface. There are still many top name or up and coming apps that aren't available on Windows 8/WP 8. I absolutely love my 920 but would love it even more with DirecTV Sunday Football, Square, SideCar, etc, etc, etc.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  19. Tahiti Bob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    275 Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler198 View Post
    At the same time, I know that the store will now grow to the standards and beyond of iOS and Android.
    You don't know that, even the Android store doesn't grow to the standard of iOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler198 View Post
    At the same time, I know that the store will now grow to the standards and beyond of iOS and Android.

    With WP 8, Microsoft flat out said that 40 something of the top 50 apps on iOS and Android are now in the store and that's great.
    They're not in the store, they're coming to the store, that's a massive difference. If 30 of these apps come when no one cares anymore (like it happened with Draw Something) then you haven't really filled the gap. It's one thing to announce apps, if you take ages to actually have them in the store it can be problematic.
  20. Tahiti Bob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    275 Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    This is the main reason I haven't ditched my iPad for a Surface. There are still many top name or up and coming apps that aren't available on Windows 8/WP 8. I absolutely love my 920 but would love it even more with DirecTV Sunday Football, Square, SideCar, etc, etc, etc.
    Same here, the Surface looks nice but swapping an iPad for it is madness unless you're in some sort of Microsoft cult. Maybe in a year or two.
  21. #46  
    That gap is definitely still there. I'm not talking about the raw number of apps, because I agree that is totally not relevant. A lot of people keep bring up the argument of "how many flashlight apps do you need?", but that's not the point. I only need 1 flashlight app, but not every flashlight app is the same and does exactly what I want it to, and that's the problem. It's like saying, how many different brands of cars do you need, all you need is a VW Beetle for a compact, Honda Civic for Sedan, BMW 5-Series for luxury sedan, Mercedez S-Class for executive class sedan, Ford F-150 for pickup, etc. It doesn't work like that. I just switched from a Nexus to a HTC 8x, and I love the 8x, it's a great phone. 920 is probably better, but 8x has it's merits and I don't want to be locked into AT&T.
    Here's the problem, I am by no means an app hoarder, I only use a handful of apps even on my Nexus. Email, calendar, Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, Line/Viber, Google Tasks, Chrome, Google music.
    Seriously, that is pretty much it for me, I don't play any games on my phone, and those that I listed are probably the bare minimum for any smartphone user. But I use those applications EXTENSIVELY, like very extensively.
    Email/Calendar/Chrome is fine, I can live with IE10. And surprisingly, there is a very solid Google Music app port on WP8, which I am grateful for.
    But everything else is where you see the problem. On Android, I can search for practically ANYTHING, and I will get at least a handful of applications that do the job perfectly, but in different styles/ways, and I can choose whichever one works best for me. On WP8, I have done a bunch of searches and spent long hours hunting for apps, most of the time there are only 1, at most 2 apps that have a rating higher than 3.5. There is basically no choice, you either use an app that is not great, or use one that is terrible.
    Like I said, even the basic applications. Facebook has been pretty terrible for me, it crashes every few minutes, push notifications don't push properly. Okay that's fine, I stopped using the app all together and used messenger for chat and people's for news feeds, FB is not a life or death thing, so whatever.
    Whatsapp is bad, it's not even remotely close to the performance of iOS/Android. WP8 is new, that's fine, but we're talking about the quality of apps, the fact is that it's pretty far from Android/iOS. It doesn't push notifications a lot of times until I open the app, and then it suddenly goes crazy and has 30 notifications jump out all together. One thing I love most about Android is the sharing integration, you can pretty much share from any application installed, you can't do that with WP8 or iOS, but that's okay, not a very big deal. It's the basic tasks that are bugging me.
    Then comes Line/Viber. Both applications that support VOIP on iOS/Android only support text/mms on WP8. This is a problem for me as I have a low minute high data plan, and I was counting on this. There is of course tight Skype integration, but believe it or not, some people actually don't use Skype, that's why it's good to have the ability to CHOOSE. There are no alternative VOIP applications for WP8 besides Skype.
    So my point is, WP8 is having a slow start, and I'm not bashing it, I switched because I was excited about the freshness of the OS. I'm still getting a Nexus 4 to switch back and fourth between, because I remain a loyal fan to Android, and I need a phone for development, but I'd love to use my 8x as my daily driver. But the fact is that the app gap is still not trivial. It is true that there pretty much exists an app to satisfy all your daily needs, but that's the problem right now, there exists AN app, "AN", no more, no less. Wouldn't it suck if you wanted a 5 seater compact car, the only option you had was to get a Corolla? What if I wanted a 5 seater that was a hybrid? Or one that was fun and engaging to drive? Options are good, and it's not really there yet with WP8. I hope they catch up soon, devs are not caring enough about WP8 at the moment.
    And this is irrelevant, but I could not for the life of me get Rooms to work at all. All I get is "Can't connect" every time, it's so frustrating it's starting to become funny.
    Thanked by:
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
  22. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti Bob View Post
    Same here, the Surface looks nice but swapping an iPad for it is madness unless you're in some sort of Microsoft cult. Maybe in a year or two.
    I disagree. It all depends on what you use.

    MS Office is the the killer app for me.
  23. thegoodnotes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #48  
    The gap in terms of quantity is not necessarily equal to the 400k difference - as people have mentioned, Android has lots of customization apps that aren't relevant to WP8 and iOS has a lot of duplicate apps (lots of Twitter and Facebook ones - although MSFT shouldn't be discounting the importance of those, lots of people really like these 3rd-party apps and for good reason).

    However, the gap is HUGE when you consider the apps that are missing. Spotify, Pandora, bank apps, airline apps, Instagram, etc. - all of these services have MILLIONS of users that are currently being left behind by the WP ecosystem. So the gap is huge not because of the number of apps but because of the enormous amount of users that are unable to switch to WP even if they wanted to. That is the real issue for MSFT right now - it is a big hurdle for adoption by the mainstream consumers.
  24. anilraj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I disagree. It all depends on what you use.

    MS Office is the the killer app for me.
    Also, Surface Pro is you laptop.
    Equivalent to iPad + MacBook.
  25. jwinch2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    462 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    I guess it depends on what you do with your phone. However, like I said when I started the thread, I'm a heavy user of all three platforms.

    Phones I've owned : iPhone 3GS, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Samsung Focus S, HTC Titan II, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, HTC Inspire, Dell Streak, Pantech Burst, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S3.

    Wife owns an iPhone 4S, in-laws own two iPhone 5s. Our family tablet is an iPad 2.

    So yeah, I've used the **** out of all three platforms, and there's an app gap, but its NOT huge. If anything, its that people get so used to the interface and the functionality of something like their favorite Twitter client on iOS and they get upset when they don't find that EXACT same client on Windows Phone, even though WP has plenty of ways to post to Twitter. That's then called an "app gap", which is unfair.


    [/COLOR]
    I understand where you are coming from, but I still disagree. It is not as simple as preferring a particular Twitter app, or wanting 900 fart noise apps, or something along those lines. You are correct however, that it does come down to what people do on their phones.

    While my smartphone is most certainly something which gets used for entertainment, it is first and foremost a tool for getting things done when I am in a mobile situation. To that end, there are many apps which there are not replacements for, that I used all the time. For example, I am in biomedical science, and I used the app for PubMed on Android all the time. I used various other similar apps which were specific to my field, and quite useful (pharmacological letters, anatomy apps for teaching my students or quick reference, etc.) Some of the so-called "comparable apps" on WP are not nearly of the same quality or utility. If it doesn't do what I need it to do, then it is not a suitable replacement, period. In addition, there are several news papers that I try to keep up with on a regular basis that have good apps on Android but which do not on WP. My bank had a great app on Android and also does on iOS, but does not on WP, so did our mortgage company, my car loan company, my student loans company, our pharmacy, our alarm company, etc.

    I could easily go on with examples of these sorts of things.

    So yes, it is a large gap, even if you or others do not wish to address it as such. To minimize the concerns of those who desire more apps by suggesting that they just find a replacement is not helping the platform at all. It would be much healthier to simply admit, yes this is an issue and it is one that should be addressed, and them move on and make it happen. The simple truth is that while the platform has several advantages that I am very happy about, the issue of apps is an area where WP is lacking.

    I am cautiously optimistic that Microsoft will take the necessary steps to provide incentives for app developers to narrow this going forward. The real question is whether private business, (banks, airlines, etc.) will see the potential of the platform and decide to develop solid apps for WP, or whether they will pass it by.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11-29-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    My smartphone history.

    snowmutt likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
  2. xbox companion - why there is no text input support?
    By petersun21 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
  3. There is no "lag"
    By J4rrod in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
  4. So there is no good, Free Turn By Turn Navigation App?
    By DaveGx in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 07:02 AM
  5. Is there any of these apps for windows phones?
    By pirarre in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions