Something To Remember About Zune Incompatability

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, the DRM-encryption for Zune Pass content always used a really low-level system, with bits going all the way down to the kernel. With WP8 and Windows 8 both running new kernels, and new encryption schemes for Xbox Music, it makes sense that Zune pass content wouldn't switch over nicely. Doesn't ease the sting for those with large collections, I know, but I've always found it at least makes it better knowing there was a rationale and context behind something like this and not it just being an arbitrary frustration.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly, the DRM-encryption for Zune Pass content always used a really low-level system, with bits going all the way down to the kernel. With WP8 and Windows 8 both running new kernels, and new encryption schemes for Xbox Music, it makes sense that Zune pass content wouldn't switch over nicely. Doesn't ease the sting for those with large collections, I know, but I've always found it at least makes it better knowing there was a rationale and context behind something like this and not it just being an arbitrary frustration.

Isn't Windows 8 using the NT kernel like Windows 7 before it? Zune Pass plays just fine on Windows 8 I believe.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Given the backward compatibility of windows 8, it is very difficult to understand how it was broken. It's just like killing .net 2 when .net 4 was coming out.
It's so irresponsible to say "hey it's old so let's kill it altogether". They could at least provide an importer.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Given the backward compatibility of windows 8, it is very difficult to understand how it was broken. It's just like killing .net 2 when .net 4 was coming out.
It's so irresponsible to say "hey it's old so let's kill it altogether". They could at least provide an importer.

Or at the bare minimum, tell people the reason. We all know it's broken.. don't be like Apple with your fingers in your ears saying, "Lalalalalalalalalalalala, i can't hear you!"

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

I don't believe any of these things are the actual reason, WP8 just doesn't support the DRM scheme. Zune Pass songs play just fine on WIndows 8.

They certainly could've made the transition process smoother, they just seemed to spend what time they had focusing on new users vs. existing customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills