Text Messaging

misticjeff

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Need some community help with messaging. Let me explain.

On Android, I don't need to use the stock messaging app. I can use Handcent, Go SMS, etc... to message anyone with a phone. Don't need to register, don't need the other person to have the app, etc. Just install and start texting.

Is there anything like that for Windows Phone? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to have the ability to have custom notification sounds, etc and cannot do that currently with WP8's stock app.

Thanks
Jeff

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen any SMS apps in the store except for one that provides templates. Not really sure what that would be good for...

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Need some community help with messaging. Let me explain.

On Android, I don't need to use the stock messaging app. I can use Handcent, Go SMS, etc... to message anyone with a phone. Don't need to register, don't need the other person to have the app, etc. Just install and start texting.

Is there anything like that for Windows Phone? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to have the ability to have custom notification sounds, etc and cannot do that currently with WP8's stock app.

Thanks
Jeff
Im pretty sure you won't see any. Just like we won't see any REAL 3rd party browsers, email clients. MS chose to lock them down and there won't be any ability to gives us choices.

Its unfortunate and among the things I'll think about when its time to get a new phone.

The OS may be too locked down for my tastes. I do appreciate choice and options. We won't get much of that with this OS sadly.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, the Windows Phone 8 SDK does not allow apps to access received text messages, only send them through the share API such as when you share articles or links from another app. This prevents developers from writing alternative message apps that use your number and existing messages, only ones that are their own service such as WhatsApp or Kik.

The same is true of alternative calendar apps, no full read/write SDK access to calendar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes