Can't send MMS messages while on wifi

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the only problems I've encountered on my Lumia 822 the past week I've had it. Whenever I try to send a picture message while connected to wifi it says "cannot send message try again." Has anyone else encountered this issue? Turning off wifi lets it send just fine, but it's kind of annoying since I'm on wifi a lot. Other than that I've been very happy with my phone, only other problem is the app Purple Cherry froze while trying to exit out of the game, but I could still go to the wp8 home screen and use other apps just fine. Only problem is that I wasnt able to clear Purple Cherry out of the background apps.

GregL2012

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nope I have tons of issues with MMS.. all my contacts show offline and it either forces me to send SMS or Facebook chat. Even after confirming receiver is online.. My wife and I both have Lumia 920's and both have the same issue..

Oh and don't bother sending a pic over MMS..it's ridiculously slow!!!

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm just unlucky and am the only one with this problem... :unhappy:

Probably not the only one, but I haven't seen the problem on my 822. About 90% of my usage is WiFi, and sending pictures, via text or email, so far has worked every time . Maybe a reset would cure the issue? Or maybe there's something about the apps you're running? Anything dodgy about the WiFi connection?

Mack Baczynski

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I can completely replicate this on my 822. I have dodgy verizon data signal at my workplace. MMS will never send until I get a semi reasonable signal, though I have full wifi. Pretty sure if you guys toggle off your data and try to mms with just wifi it will fail. I don't think this is a windows phone issue, but verizon. Could be wrong, but makes sense to me.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
First off, Ive reports AxienceConsulting for spamming of several threads.

Second, Ive experienced this a lot as well. I hate having to turn off WIFI, just to send an MMS. The phone should be smart enough to send it out Cellular with WIFI being on.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can completely replicate this on my 822. I have dodgy verizon data signal at my workplace. MMS will never send until I get a semi reasonable signal, though I have full wifi. Pretty sure if you guys toggle off your data and try to mms with just wifi it will fail. I don't think this is a windows phone issue, but verizon. Could be wrong, but makes sense to me.

Looks as if you're right on at least one thing -- if I toggle Verizon off, I get the try-again message, even with a very good wifi signal. Toggle it back on, and the message goes.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
This started happening to my Focus (WP7) out of the blue in the last week or so. It's bizarre. Before that, the only time I got that "Cannot send message" error was when receiving a multimedia message that requires cellular data turned on.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I may have experienced this tonight. I must have tried 5 or 6 times to send a stupid picture via MMS and it kept failing, and I just kept hitting the retry link. It sent a picture of my location on a map just fine though, weird - that has to be using MMS, too. When I left the cafe with the wi-fi connection, I tried to send the picture again and it worked. Never thought about it being due to the wi-fi connection... I'll have to test this one out some more.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How slow is the WiFi network? I've had issues where I was unable to install apps or send MMS when I've been at coffee shops. Some of those WiFi networks were slower than EDGE speeds. This was too slow for sending MMS/installing apps.

A127302.png

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
How slow is the WiFi network? I've had issues where I was unable to install apps or send MMS when I've been at coffee shops. Some of those WiFi networks were slower than EDGE speeds. This was too slow for sending MMS/installing apps.
That could have been the case! I thought it was odd that emails weren't loading very fast and Facebook was kicking out tons of errors.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused at how WiFi plays into this. I thought MMS could only be sent over a cellular connection unless your phone supports WiFi-calling.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused at how WiFi plays into this. I thought MMS could only be sent over a cellular connection unless your phone supports WiFi-calling.

A lot of people use WiFi rather than mobile network, since they have limited data plans (I have a legacy unlimited data plan). However, if folks have LTE, it is much faster than WiFi. My LTE is faster than my cable Internet service.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That could have been the case! I thought it was odd that emails weren't loading very fast and Facebook was kicking out tons of errors.

That day I turned WiFi off on my device in order to get the MMS to go through and to download/install Marketplace apps. I turned WiFi back on once those were done.

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I keep WiFi and cellular on all the time, while I'm on WiFi I don't use data. I realize that mms go through the cellular connection. Problem is the phone doesn't seem to be able to automatically use the cellular connection send it, unless it's forced into using the only connection it has. My WiFi speeds are fine, always at least 5Mpbs, but 90% of the time it's around 20Mpbs.

Rockemsock

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife just got the HTC 8X and hasn't been able to send an MMS photo all day here at the house. I have an iPhone 4, and can send it without any problem. In fact, she can receive the photo messages I send, but can't send her own. I've tried turning Wifi off, and still no luck. Not sure what the problem could be here...

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had this same problem with my wifes 822 last night. She couldn't send or receive mms. I tried turning off wifi and it still didn't work though ( I may not have waited long enough) anyway I turned wifi back on and turned the phone off then restarted it. It worked fine with wifi on after that. I don't know but it is really weird. I also have had times I couldn't receive mms but I didn't pay attention to this at the time so now I am going to pay closer attention and see if it is related to this. This definitely needs to be fixed.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If you're in a weak signal area the cellular connection may not be strong enough to send the MMS. Happens to me at work too. Having WiFi on shouldn't be an issue, i leave my cellular data on and Wifi at home and have no problems. It's more a signal strength and quality than a phone issue.

Last edited:

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree that makes the most sense. I also agree what I am saying doesn't make sense. However, that is what is happening. My wifes phone had full signal with 3g coverage. .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte