How are you sharing video captured with your WP8?

LiveToSeeTheFuture

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This seems like an obvious piece of functionality, but I don't see anything baked in. My wife has a blog that she maintains on wordpress.com. She captures videos of our daughter with her 920 and wants to be able to upload them to some online source (full quality, preferably) and them embed them in her posts from there. The Wordpress app doesn't support video uploading or embedding, so she's just been linking to the video after she uploads it to SkyDrive. That's dead in the water now, after SkyDrive video embedding stopped working a week ago.

So other than Bluetooth, messaging/email, and Facebook I don't see other options for sharing video baked in to WP8. Has anyone found an app to upload to YouTube or some other video hosting service? This seems like a serious oversight for a platform & ecosystem that's so heavily marketed around sharing media, don't you think?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a solution, but you're not gonna like it....

Write a python or php script to download a file from the internet. Something with Curl or urllib2. Make sure the script is written to accept the download location as a parameter. Store that script on your wife's webserver, where the blog is running. Use "The SSH Client" app to ssh to the webserver box and run the script, providing the script with the skydrive public url for the video she wants to upload.

The script can then pull the video from skydrive directly, stash it in a file on the webserver and she can link it from there.

The SSH Client is a linux nerd's wet dream.

LiveToSeeTheFuture

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Ok, that's a workaround for a developer, but what about the world at large? If I convince my father to get rid of his iPhone and replace it with a WP8, he's gonna want to know how to share videos he captures with his device.

pdxrunr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
embedded video playback from Skydrive works just fine. It's only supported in IE though. It's turned off by default, but the phone will auto upload video to Skydrive, or you can manually upload with the cable, or use Wifi manual upload as well.

L

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
One option is to plug your phone into pc. Browse your phone for the video. Upload it to your preferred online video source. I like Vimeo personally.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Ok, that's a workaround for a developer, but what about the world at large? If I convince my father to get rid of his iPhone and replace it with a WP8, he's gonna want to know how to share videos he captures with his device.

Yeah I know. There's an app gap in dealing with a CMS like Wordpress. Is it not possible to upload to YouTube via Metrotube? Then you can embed from there.

LiveToSeeTheFuture

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Embedded video doesn't work just fine, which is what my earlier post is about. Other people are reporting the same. You can see in this screen grab that a couple of the videos that I uploaded, all of which were taken by the same phone and uploaded over the same wireless connection, don't embed properly on skydrive.com. You can download and play these videos just fine, but not embed them. Add to that that Skydrive only offers a link to the video and doesn't support embedding for those users who don't want to dig through the HTML to grab the actual mp4 url.

Capture.JPG

(empty blocks are photos of my wife that I cut out from the screen capture, not a SkyDrive grid problem)

I'll check out Metrotube. Thanks.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
LiveToSeeTheFuture, what is really annoying is that an iPhone user can watch the video fine. AND you can email the video file to an iPhone friend and he will be able to play it, but you yourself or your Windows 8 phone friend won't. If it's about embedded video, is the same true for a video file that is attached to an email?

Then try to tell your iPhone friend to buy a WP8 phone because it's so much better. face palm.
hope they fix this soon.

LiveToSeeTheFuture

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that by today's standards a new smart phone should be full featured enough to be able to do basics like this without having to go back to the PC. I haven't ever used an iPhone, but I bet you can take a video and upload it to YouTube or some other service without having to plug it in to a PC.

It turns out that Metrotube doesn't have an uploader. Vimeo does, but you have to record the video with their app.

Kinda bummed about this

LiveToSeeTheFuture

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the PrimeTube suggestion. It appears to be almost the same app as Metrotube but with slightly different branding. One of those guys definitely ripped off the other.

It also shares the same restriction - you can only upload videos recorded with the app. I wonder if this is an SDK restriction, or perhaps a restriction that was in WP7 and none of them have been updated to WP8 yet.

I did find that your Youtube account has an email address that you can send videos to from your mobile device. I added it as a contact and will test later.

I also submitted feedback at the SkyDrive site telling them that their embedding stuff is broken.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I took a look at the APIs. It looks like Microsoft hasn't given developers programmatic access to the video library, so that explains why no apps can upload unless it is created within the app. Really silly, dunno what they were thinking.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a lot of these same questions. Coming from an iPhone 4 I used to take a lot of video and then upload it right away to YouTube, it was very simple and easy because the upload feature is built into the OS.

Now I have a Lumia 920 and I'm still not sure the best way to upload videos to YouTube. I tried PrimeTube and it does have an upload feature but it will only let you upload video that you just took or upload files from your video library. This would be fine but I haven't found a way to get videos from my "Camera Roll" to the video library without using a computer. I absolutely agree that we shouldn't have to plug our phones into a computer to get this done, it should be seamless. Maybe the video APIs don't give access to the Camera Roll?

Anyone have other suggestions? I know about the email to YouTube process but I heard it downgrades the video to 480P. I haven't tried uploading videos to SkyDrive yet but it doesn't sound like that's the best solution either.

ZX9

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Supertube?

Metrotube is nice, but, as aforementioned, does not support uploads. Supertube, my Youtube client of choice, does. I think it may have the same problem as PrimeTube, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)