Apps for connecting to Network Drives (NAS / Computer Shares)

anon(5400142)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if there are any WP(8) apps that allow me to connect to a NAS and browse it and preferrably open/play those files?

On android you had these kind of apps for example:

ES File Explorer File Manager

Twonky Beam

PlayTo Universal

Couldn't find any in the store myself, perhaps they will come in the near future. If you know of an app which is able to stream media to my WP8 phone, please let me know :).

Last edited:

Clay Whitaker

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I visited a Verizon store today and spent 45 minutes playing around with the phone, trying to figure this out, but couldn't. I am very interested in this feature as well, maybe someone can shed light on this for us.

:straight:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I read on another forum that DLNA Play To is due out Q1 2013...
Isnt that for only streaming stuff from your phone though? Not sure I get the point of that but that's what I thought I read. I think most would rather stream stuff to the phone

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I want this functionality to connect to my photo albums stored on my NAS, so I can view pics while on my network...

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If your NAS is from Synology, there are 3 apps from them. DS Audio, DS photo, and DS finder. The first lets you stream music, genius! The 2nd lets you manage your online photo albums, haven't quite worked it out yet. The last just lets you get the status of your Diskstation.

Unfortunately, iOS and Android also have DS File, which lets you browse and open all files. Hoping this comes to Windows Phone as well.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I read on another forum that DLNA Play To is due out Q1 2013...

Isnt that for only streaming stuff from your phone though? Not sure I get the point of that but that's what I thought I read. I think most would rather stream stuff to the phone
DLNA can be two sided. As a Client (getting photos, audio, video) from another device. Or it can be a Server (offering/pushing photos, audio, video) to another device. Actually there are 12 different classes of DLNA devices, but simplistically it's either a client or server. Head over to Wikipedia - DLNA to learn more.

Apple has Airplay, BTW. But it's their proprietary format protocol, which needs licensing to implement. DLNA is more of an open standard, which devices/software can be submitted for compliance. Or you can "wing it" and just implement it "as-is". :)

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a program called Share Folder which might work if its configured as a windows share.

Otherwise you can use something like Plex but it requires another computer running the server which has the NAS drive mounted.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm being windows, I was hoping/expecting it to work out of the box, find network shares/computers... log into them if necessary.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm being windows, I was hoping/expecting it to work out of the box, find network shares/computers... log into them if necessary.
Amen...
There's a uservoice request for this.
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a third-party deal.
I had to use Resco Explorer in the Windows Mobile days (it wasn't built into the OS, then, either).
JJ

rerlouz

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to Windows (just bought my Samsung Ativ S last week), and wanted to find an application like the Android "ES File Explorer File Manager"
Unfortunately, my NAS is not a Synology, so I'm very disappointed... I find Windows phone great, but I used this app a lot with my previous Android phone, in order to make transfers from phone to NAS, and in the other way too.
I also found "OPlayerHD Lite" on iOS which allowed me to stream some music and movies easily with an iPad

Does anyone know an app that I could use to make WP best than these 2 old fashioned mobile OS ???

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to Windows (just bought my Samsung Ativ S last week), and wanted to find an application like the Android "ES File Explorer File Manager"
Unfortunately, my NAS is not a Synology, so I'm very disappointed... I find Windows phone great, but I used this app a lot with my previous Android phone, in order to make transfers from phone to NAS, and in the other way too.
I also found "OPlayerHD Lite" on iOS which allowed me to stream some music and movies easily with an iPad

Does anyone know an app that I could use to make WP best than these 2 old fashioned mobile OS ???

My suggestion would be to go to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) search DLNA and try them out and find one works for you. You won't find a program like ES File as there is no file system that is accessible in WP.

Just mark it down as another 'issue' to be resolved hopefully one day in the future. Of course I expect some WP ****** to tell me that it's not needed....

medway01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
My server isnt a ready made one, its a striped down windows 7 pc, as yet ive not found any windows app that will let you see the server let alone share from it, as menioned before, there is no accessable file system in windows 8 phones, its a problem for someone like me because sometimes its nice to connect to a server and pull stuff over. However saying that, I can see the possitive side to this, your windows phone is more secure, though it is a booger :)

Michael Jensen2

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI...I was able to find a program called "ShareFolder" that allows me to set up and access a NAS device on a windows phone. I can upload and download, but can't necessary "play" music file from the NAS device on the windows phone. Small steps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3