Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there are any WP(8) apps that allow me to connect to a NAS and browse it and preferrably open/play those files?

On android you had these kind of apps for example:

ES File Explorer File Manager

Twonky Beam

PlayTo Universal

Couldn't find any in the store myself, perhaps they will come in the near future. If you know of an app which is able to stream media to my WP8 phone, please let me know :).
    Last edited by Mark van Sinttruije; 11-30-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Text Edit

I visited a Verizon store today and spent 45 minutes playing around with the phone, trying to figure this out, but couldn't. I am very interested in this feature as well, maybe someone can shed light on this for us.

Developer

You are looking for a DLNA client app. I haven't found one yet.
    Guz

iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)

Do a search for Streaming media. You'd need something like tversity on your PC though

I read on another forum that DLNA Play To is due out Q1 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by ford7393 View Post
    Isnt that for only streaming stuff from your phone though? Not sure I get the point of that but that's what I thought I read. I think most would rather stream stuff to the phone

I want this functionality to connect to my photo albums stored on my NAS, so I can view pics while on my network...

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I think Plex fits the bill.

If your NAS is from Synology, there are 3 apps from them. DS Audio, DS photo, and DS finder. The first lets you stream music, genius! The 2nd lets you manage your online photo albums, haven't quite worked it out yet. The last just lets you get the status of your Diskstation.

Unfortunately, iOS and Android also have DS File, which lets you browse and open all files. Hoping this comes to Windows Phone as well.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ford7393 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    Isnt that for only streaming stuff from your phone though? Not sure I get the point of that but that's what I thought I read. I think most would rather stream stuff to the phone
    DLNA can be two sided. As a Client (getting photos, audio, video) from another device. Or it can be a Server (offering/pushing photos, audio, video) to another device. Actually there are 12 different classes of DLNA devices, but simplistically it's either a client or server. Head over to Wikipedia - DLNA to learn more.

Apple has Airplay, BTW. But it's their proprietary format protocol, which needs licensing to implement. DLNA is more of an open standard, which devices/software can be submitted for compliance. Or you can "wing it" and just implement it "as-is". :-)
    Guz

iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)

There is a program called Share Folder which might work if its configured as a windows share.

Otherwise you can use something like Plex but it requires another computer running the server which has the NAS drive mounted.

Hmm being windows, I was hoping/expecting it to work out of the box, find network shares/computers... log into them if necessary.
    Easy file Hub2 is what I've found to work the best so far. Not a great interface, but the WebDAV works with our Synology NAS.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyng View Post
    Hmm being windows, I was hoping/expecting it to work out of the box, find network shares/computers... log into them if necessary.
    Amen...
    There's a uservoice request for this.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a third-party deal.
    I had to use Resco Explorer in the Windows Mobile days (it wasn't built into the OS, then, either).
    JJ

Hi,

I am new to Windows (just bought my Samsung Ativ S last week), and wanted to find an application like the Android "ES File Explorer File Manager"
    Unfortunately, my NAS is not a Synology, so I'm very disappointed... I find Windows phone great, but I used this app a lot with my previous Android phone, in order to make transfers from phone to NAS, and in the other way too.
    I also found "OPlayerHD Lite" on iOS which allowed me to stream some music and movies easily with an iPad

Does anyone know an app that I could use to make WP best than these 2 old fashioned mobile OS ???

Global Posts
    17,315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rerlouz View Post
    Hi,

I am new to Windows (just bought my Samsung Ativ S last week), and wanted to find an application like the Android "ES File Explorer File Manager"
    Unfortunately, my NAS is not a Synology, so I'm very disappointed... I find Windows phone great, but I used this app a lot with my previous Android phone, in order to make transfers from phone to NAS, and in the other way too.
    I also found "OPlayerHD Lite" on iOS which allowed me to stream some music and movies easily with an iPad

Does anyone know an app that I could use to make WP best than these 2 old fashioned mobile OS ???
    My suggestion would be to go to The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) search DLNA and try them out and find one works for you. You won't find a program like ES File as there is no file system that is accessible in WP.

Just mark it down as another 'issue' to be resolved hopefully one day in the future. Of course I expect some WP fanboy to tell me that it's not needed....
    Ignorance, there is a cure.

I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing.

My server isnt a ready made one, its a striped down windows 7 pc, as yet ive not found any windows app that will let you see the server let alone share from it, as menioned before, there is no accessable file system in windows 8 phones, its a problem for someone like me because sometimes its nice to connect to a server and pull stuff over. However saying that, I can see the possitive side to this, your windows phone is more secure, though it is a booger :-)

Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    Just mark it down as another 'issue' to be resolved hopefully one day in the future. Of course I expect some WP fanboy to tell me that it's not needed....
    Oh no, not fanboys...... noooooooooooooo !!
    Just an FYI...I was able to find a program called "ShareFolder" that allows me to set up and access a NAS device on a windows phone. I can upload and download, but can't necessary "play" music file from the NAS device on the windows phone. Small steps.

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyng View Post
    hmm being windows, i was hoping/expecting it to work out of the box, find network shares/computers... Log into them if necessary.
    roflmao

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I'm glad I found this thread. I want to get a NAS / Local Cloud Backup HDD also. Anyone recommend a NAS that works well with W8/WP8? Or W8/WP8 apps that work well with a particular NAS?
    Microsoft does not read these Forums. Please go to the Windows Phone Suggestion Site and make your voice be heard.