Adding Music to WP8

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Windows Phone. Before making the jump, I had researched many aspects of the platform, and one thing that kept popping up had given me some pause on changing OS's. You see, in WebOS, you could just plug your phone in to a PC and it would show up as a drive where you could just drag and drop whatever you needed to and from the device. I kept reading post after post and article after article how you HAD to use music sync software to get music onto the device.

Well, last night I plugged my phone into my PC to see if I could copy my old ringtones over and was surprised to see a Music folder (as well as video, ringtones, pictures, and documents). I decided to just try and copy a few music folders over to the phone. I unplugged the phone and opened the music app, and all of the new music was instantly there and neatly grouped in all of the appropriate places (albums, artists, etc).

I guess the internet search results when looking up Windows Phone information defaults to older info, but am happy to see that at least the results I had pulled up seem to be outdated.

Now if I can just figure out how to copy over new notification sounds....

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly speaking old windows phone 7 doesn't support the mass storage mode.....

Unfortunately, when I was searching things like "adding music to Windows Phone 8" I would typically only get articles that talked about WP7 - which is why I posted - so other newbies like me would not just assume they couldn't do it.

One funny thing I have noticed, every now and then I get a code "this music file could not be played on the phone" WHILE the song is playing. Guess that's a bug.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Now if I can just figure out how to copy over new notification sounds....

Can't do it yet.. at least it isn't documented that you can.. Just for the **** of it i made a direcotory called 'Notifications' in hopes it would work, fully knowing it would probably not. I hope they bring that feature soon because I have a sweet R2D2 sound that is quite lound and gets my attention when I need it too...

OttawaMan

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Agreed...how rediculous is it that we can add custom ringtones but not custom notifications? Did they just say 'Good Enough' and move on??

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have ringtones from phonezoo on my 822. If it's a ringtone in mp3 format you can drag it to the phone and use it, but not notification sounds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss