How long do trials last?

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the trial of the wpcentral app to my phone not long after I got it on the 12th and it is still working. I thought the trial would have ended by now. Anyone know how long the trial is for?

ap3rus

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
As MSDN states (How to implement a trial experience in a Windows Phone app):

A trial experience typically limits the app, for example, by disabling features, by disabling levels in a game, or by setting a time limit on the usage of the app. These are just examples of the kind of limitations you can implement for your app. The limitation you choose for your app is entirely up to you.

So it fully depends on what developer choose when enabling Trial mode for the application, thus may vary from app to app.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WPCentral app trial just has ads and missing a few 'premium features'

A lot of game trials just have a small portion of the game available.

An app I just got to help me calculate my mileage reimbursement has a trial that lasts 15 days...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The reason that most apps' trials use crippling features instead of time-limiting is because unless the developer sets up a server/host and a database to track who is paying and who is trialing, all a person has to do in order to reset the trial is uninstall and reinstall the app. Microsoft does not track trial periods in the store. Therefore, in order to keep people from cheating, we are wiser to use the crippling of premium features that the app could be sampled without rather than have the app disabled after a time period.

WPCentral's app does that. I believe one of the features is toast notifications and live tile that aren't there in the trial if I remember right, but it's been a while....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium