Sharing Apps between two accounts

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to share apps between my wife and I. On an iPhone we can, and I can't figure this out on my window phone.

I want her primary account to be hers so that SMS are backed up to her account. Also because she doesn't need all my contacts. ( I have a ton from work)

Any help would be much appreciated
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This question keeps popping up a lot... can we make a sticky on this topic?
No, apps cannot be shared between accounts. Support the developers so they have a reason to make better stuff!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
@ironsoulreaver it isn't so much about supporting developers, is that only one household should pay for the app. IOS is like this, it is like saying that I would need to buy another a copy of black ops 2 for each member of my family. Or buying a copy of office of each user account.

I never buy into support the developers, they made their bed (they choose what they do for a living) so I shouldn't have to pay extra since they set the price. I am not trolling.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Apple lets you share apps through iTunes because of the way iTunes is designed. No iTunes no sharing. It's more of a cheat than anything else.

Supporting developers is important. If a developer can't make enough money to make a living from their apps then they will never have the time to make quality apps. That's why there are so many junk apps in the first place. You are comparing a 60$ game to a 1-5$ game... Not exactly even grounds. If you buy it on the computer you only get one code to use on one machine. Even console games are starting to do this. Is it unfair... Yes but at a couple bucks you really should just accept it. I say this in defense of independent developers and I could truly care less about the corporate guys... They overcharge for half their poorly designed crap anyway and that goes for any system.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the whole supporting the developer, but I think if you buy the apps once you should be able to use it on a limited number of accounts. And tour whole comment Iron about it not being even grounds is stupid. A console game gets over 60x the content and multiplayer, its only fair that console games are 60x the amount of the app. Me and my gf use the same email so we will have access to the same account, then just add another email to the phone and unpin the primary one. Your on same xbl acc and live messenger but that's beat workaround.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I treat independent and corporate the same. If they make quality apps people will buy them. It has nothing to do if they are independent or not. It depends if they have the skill or not. IPhone sharing of apps is not a cheat, you can only do it on a max 5 devices per iTunes account. This is one reason why my wife will not go windowsphone as she has invested into IOS foe the past few years. It would be cheaper for me to go IOS then her to go windowsphone. We have probably invested about the same in each platform as I buy many more games and apps then she does. In depended developers shouldn't be treated as a charity. They set their price, and people buy them. Games and apps are much more pricy on windowsphone then IOS, yet IOS I could put all the iPhone apps on my iPad and iPhone. I can even have a different iTunes account and different icloud foe backup.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Basically I won't be moving, I like windows phone but once we are up foe another upgrade,she will either go windowsphone or iPhone. I want us on the same platform. Hopefully that will be windowsphone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Lastly, this app store isn't per device as if I buy a new windows phone I can redownload all purchased apps again. It is per account, which lets you have up to 5 devices just you have to have the same account.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Basically what you're talking about is stealing. Let's just call it what it is. It is software piracy. There is no need to call it app sharing, account sharing, or anything else to make it sound OK.

But since you don't seem to grasp the seriousness of the crime that you are talking about committing, let me spell out the penalties for you:

In the United States, the maximum civil penalty is $150,000 per infringement in a lawsuit for a copyright violation. This means that for every single program or work that was illegally copied and/or distributed, the infringer could have to pay $150,000. As you can imagine, a civil suit may cost a violator millions of dollars.

Read more: Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com

On the other hand, piracy of software can be seen as a criminal act akin to stealing. In this case, the infringer can be charged with a criminal offense. In the United States, the maximum criminal penalty for copyright infringement is a fine of up to $250,000 and a jail sentence of up to five years. This involves damages that are both monetary and psychological. A prison record can seriously mar the life of any individual.

Read more: Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com Legal Penalties for Software Piracy | eHow.com

By the way, the reason my name is a different color is because I am a developer with published apps in the Windows Phone Store.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Except for it is allowed on iOS. Up to 5 different devices per account,same as windowsphone but... It can be another person in your household. The problem is that you don't understand this, this is a issue with windows phone. It isn't a cheat for IOS, if it wad, apple would have long ago stopped but it is allowed by apple with iTunes as it says the app can be downloaded to 5 different devices.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There is no difference between how Apple and Microsoft handle apps. On both platforms you are allowed to download onto multiple devices you own.

The difference is, Apple havnt integrated everything as tightly as Microsoft yet. So you account doesn't share much, so its very easy for multiple people to share an Apple account.

How long will that last though? Apple.can store music and photos and contacts against your Apple account, so it wont be long before sharing an Apple account is as unfeasible as a Microsoft one.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Btw: congrats on your special color, it means nothing to this issue.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no difference between how Apple and Microsoft handle apps. On both platforms you are allowed to download onto multiple devices you own.

The difference is, Apple havnt integrated everything as tightly as Microsoft yet. So you account doesn't share much, so its very easy for multiple people to share an Apple account.

How long will that last though? Apple.can store music and photos and contacts against your Apple account, so it wont be long before sharing an Apple account is as unfeasible as a Microsoft one.
I believe thru 6 versions of IOS it will not be ended.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you read the terms of service. I suspect that you will find that Microsoft does not allow sharing of accounts. :wink:
Kind of puts the kibosh on your plan, and nullifies your argument.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Basically what you're talking about is stealing. Let's just call it what it is. It is software piracy. There is no need to call it app sharing, account sharing, or anything else to make it sound OK.

Are you high? He's just asking if WP has the same use model for software as iOS or other products even from Microsoft such as Office.

You can have 5 devices under the same account, all sharing the same apps, so why would it be a stretch to link 5 accounts together and share the same app?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You can indeed have 5 devices, i bet the t&c state that those devices are for your use only. They intend you to be able to use a pc, iPad, touch & iphone for the same app. They don't expect you to have one account shared between 5 people.

If they did intend that, it would be easy to share an app between my itunes account, and the missus itunes account.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you high? He's just asking if WP has the same use model for software as iOS or other products even from Microsoft such as Office.

You can have 5 devices under the same account, all sharing the same apps, so why would it be a stretch to link 5 accounts together and share the same app?

No, in fact, in my 45 years, I have never used any illicit drug. What he asked about is a crime. I was simply sharing knowledge of copyright laws that at least two of you reading this thread do not possess, as I have generated intellectual property, so it is in my interest to know the laws pertaining to said intellectual property. Where you take the "This sounds fair to me, so this is what I'm going to do" approach, I've looked at the law in order to protect my interests. So don't come off accusing me of being high because you don't know what you're talking about. What we're talking about here could land someone in prison and cost him literally MILLIONS of dollars.

Yes, you can own five devices. But if you're allowing someone else use of those devices, you're violating the terms of use, because allowing someone else access to your Microsoft account violates the terms of use that you accepted when you created that account.

From Microsoft's Live.com Terms of Use:
4. Your service account, associated accounts, and accounts from third parties

Only you may use your service account. You must keep your accounts and passwords confidential and not authorize any third party to access or use the service on your behalf, unless we provide an approved mechanism for that.

My advice? Don't go accusing people of being high when you don't know what you're talking about, and don't steal software. It could land you in a world of hurt.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a 920 and gave my lumia 900 to my wife. I made my Microsoft Account the #1 account on her phone. I have it sync nothing at all in the settings menu. That way she can use our music subscription and any apps I have purchased.

I wish they would figure out family accounts for Xbox Music. We have 0 issue purchasing double of apps we use, but like **** we shouldn't have access to music if it is in my licensing (which it is based on devices).

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
No, in fact, in my 45 years, I have never used any illicit drug. What he asked about is a crime. I was simply sharing knowledge of copyright laws that at least two of you reading this thread do not possess, as I have generated intellectual property, so it is in my interest to know the laws pertaining to said intellectual property. Where you take the "This sounds fair to me, so this is what I'm going to do" approach, I've looked at the law in order to protect my interests. So don't come off accusing me of being high because you don't know what you're talking about. What we're talking about here could land someone in prison and cost him literally MILLIONS of dollars.

Yes, you can own five devices. But if you're allowing someone else use of those devices, you're violating the terms of use, because allowing someone else access to your Microsoft account violates the terms of use that you accepted when you created that account.

From Microsoft's Live.com Terms of Use:

My advice? Don't go accusing people of being high when you don't know what you're talking about, and don't steal software. It could land you in a world of hurt.

For this discussion, Copyright and IP law won't land anyone in prison. You're being dramatic because you feel strongly.

You have made your argument, others in the thread disagree. You can't change people. Don't get yourself and others upset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3