Back out of apps or go directly to home screen?

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
So I wanted to see what most of you were doing with regards to closing apps and multi-tasking. Do you back out of apps when you are done with them or just go straight to the home screen? So far I have been backing out of all apps to keep my multi-tasking free. I wanted to know if going to the home screen and leaving apps running, does it slow down the phone? I know most people complain about the backing out of apps but to me it's no problem and I have gotten used to it.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It does not impact the performance or battery in any way.

The apps are not running; they are suspended to RAM, so they take up no processing power. And if the phone needs the RAM it'll use it and the app will no longer be resumable.

That said, i prefer to back out of apps because I'm slightly OCD and it annoys me if I press the back button and some random app appears :p

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that if you leave your apps "suspended" they'll close if you turn off the phone. When turned back on, they'll be gone.

theorangebandit

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I back out of mine too. Purely as I feel odd if I leave something running. (I think my old N900 is to blame for that). I am disdapointed that they don't stay running in the background it makes multi tasking web pages slower as they don't load in the background. Id like to see an option that allowed us to choose between background tasking or not ...

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It does not impact the performance or battery in any way.

The apps are not running; they are suspended to RAM, so they take up no processing power. And if the phone needs the RAM it'll use it and the app will no longer be resumable.

That said, i prefer to back out of apps because I'm slightly OCD and it annoys me if I press the back button and some random app appears :p

i had to laugh out loud at that one, i'm the same way LOL

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If its one click to back out I usually will. If I'm deep in an app that would require a lot of presses, I'll just hit the home button. Those are usually the apps that I might want to resume anyway.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I back out even if it is 2-3 taps, because I'm more than a little OCD... even though I'm a developer so I know VERY well that the apps get suspended and later tombstoned if necessary, as I have developed my apps to recover from those situations. There is one regular exception. During the week, I'll do a search for a map of a city nearby, and tap that map in bing, so I can get the bing map with traffic, as the Nokia map traffic layer seems to think that Atlanta has no traffic during rush hour, both in the morning and the afternoon.

I'll size and locate the map as I want, clear the map to get rid of the city's pushpin, hit start, then tap/hold back, and back out of the search, leaving the map in place. LOL.

Yes, I'm such a dork.
:straight:

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am an OCD'er too. LOL. I always back out of all apps unless I know I will resume it shortly, esp. like a map

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for the "I back out of my apps because I'm OCD and it bugs me that they're still there even though I know it's no big deal" choice. :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Usually I just Home-button it away, but sometimes I do check how much stuff I have running in the background and spam-backout them all off.

Pwnisher

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive is the only app that I have had run in the background even after I hit the back button and confirmed exiting the app. With that said, I will press the back button again, select the app, and back out again to get it out of my multitask menu to truly stop the app. I do this with Drive and Nokia Music, even though Nokia Music isn't a drainer - i just do it any way.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority: I use the Start button way more than backing out of apps. Once in a blue moon I go on a binge and back out of everything, but in general, it's all Start for me.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority: I use the Start button way more than backing out of apps. Once in a blue moon I go on a binge and back out of everything, but in general, it's all Start for me.

For those of you in the Atlanta area (if there is anyone), aubreyq, you make me think of the United Community Bank's Business Banking commercials, where they're having anger management meetings, and the leader of the group uses the keywords "business banking" and everyone gets angry, then the guy says he's happy, because he banks at UCB..... Someone says, "Who let Mr. Happy in here??"

So who let Mr. Not Dork in here???

LOL!

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I totally back out of my apps too, sometimes even with IE after I have browsed like 10-12 pages.

I use the Tabs window to close them so I can then just do a single back click to close.
As the others have said, even though I know there's no need.

OCD FTW!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes