How do I save / backup my WP8 start screen layout?

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've set up backups in settings, but am still unsure of how I can backup/save my start screen layout on my 920... I want to do a hard reset to see if it has an effect on battery calibration, but don't want to have to reset my entire start screen. Also, are my podcast subscriptions saved as well?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe I recall seeing someone post that the start screen is not saved, because apps are not automatically reinstalled, and you cannot reconfigure tiles for apps that are not there. But you could take a screenshot of it, and make sure it uploads to your skydrive so you can refer to it before you reset. I don't know the answer on podcasts, as the backup is a new feature that I haven't used.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I can already tell you, NO the tile layout pattern is NOT saved, nor is it restored after a reset.

You applications will be queued up for re-installation, will be re-installed (make sure you're on WiFi or you might use up your data allocation). But, each time I do this there are a bunch of applications that will not download/re-install (the error code is 8000fff = catastrophic error). It seems like it's mainly the Nokia exclusive apps, and their updates for my phone.

If you do get the error, your only choice at the moment is to cancel the install, then go to Windows Phone (United States) log in, select "Purchase History" and try to push the install from there. Or just go back into the store download them again.

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, not the answers I was hoping for, obviously, but I appreciate it! Since you guys have done a hard reset, would you say it's worth it?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If the phone is working, don't mess with it. If you're a tech, and have know how to do this for supporting others, then yea, do it at least once.

I you want to do a battery calibration, then just run the phone till it shuts off, then charge overnight. That's the "classic" way for most devices.

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've 'calibrated' the battery twice the way you suggested (even waited an hour after it turned off, turned it back on, it turns on at 0%, but manages to run for a WHILE, and drained it again, then charge overnight)...

It fixes the calibration issue for a while, and I get great battery life, but then a few days later, I'm noticing lowered battery life / poor calibration. Some have suggested doing a hard reset to help fix this...

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If the phone is working, don't mess with it. If you're a tech, and have know how to do this for supporting others, then yea, do it at least once.

I you want to do a battery calibration, then just run the phone till it shuts off, then charge overnight. That's the "classic" way for most devices.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Take screenshots and upload them to skydrive. It helps, immensely. Backups on WP8 are a joke. Probably the most disappointing feature (if I can even call it that) of the entire OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre