No App Update Notifications

ArtDB

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've read several articles about updates for apps that I definitely have installed (Words With Friends being the latest example), yet I am not being notified of an available update. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to manually check for updates?

device type - AT&T Lumia 920

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you go into the store and find the app you want to update, when you go to the app's page in the bottom left if there's an update available it'll say "update". If you then go back to the storefront you'll get the update notification. It seems WP8 checks for updates in its own time so if you know there's an update for an app you have but you're not being notified you can either go to the app and force the update or wait a while and sooner or later WP8 will notify you. It's a bit of a laid-back approach but it works.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the phone checks for updates once a day. Mine always checks at about 1PM. I do the same thing that Muessig mentioned above.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the phone checks for updates once a day. Mine always checks at about 1PM. I do the same thing that Muessig mentioned above.

It checks more than once, as I've gotten updates multiple times in a day, but only Microsoft really knows the polling rate.

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't even know if it checks once a day. I have the Lumia 920 and for the most part only known of updates because of posts here. Then one day, I received a notification for 7 updates! Not sure what's going on with it, but would like to see it be more consistent. Not a huge deal though, I have WPcentral to keep me in check...

JimmyRespawn

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know if it checks once a day. I have the Lumia 920 and for the most part only known of updates because of posts here. Then one day, I received a notification for 7 updates! Not sure what's going on with it, but would like to see it be more consistent. Not a huge deal though, I have WPcentral to keep me in check...

This happens to me all the time when I use 1st Gen device. Once my device never checked the updates, I finally fixed this problem by flashing the ROM again. Hope this situation won't happen to my WP8 device. I'm not an Android guy.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same thing on my 8X. I would love a "check for updates" button. Or at least a "My Apps" page so you don't have to go into each app separately.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
As of now, I know that there's an update for the Amazon app. I've browsed through the store to look at other apps but I haven't gone to look at the actual Amazon app, which will obviously show that there's an update and refresh the live tile. There's no notification on the live tile yet. I'm going to wait and see how long it takes for it to show up, if at all.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I did a test recently like this. I knew there were updates in the store so I just kept data on and waited for the update to show. It appeared around 4-5pm. Good to know it still notifies me.

KrankyKoder

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of annoyed there isn't a Check for updates type of button in the store app.

Yesterday I was thinking there isn't one in the Windows 8 store either. But there is, it's just buried.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've read several articles about updates for apps that I definitely have installed (Words With Friends being the latest example), yet I am not being notified of an available update. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to manually check for updates?

device type - AT&T Lumia 920

They don't seem to get checked all at once. ie... every phone is not going to show the that there are updates available at the same time. Nothing is wrong, just relax... they generally show up within a day.

Nelman

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, something IS wrong! Here are the answers I got during a chat with a Microsoft tech agent:

"If i understand right, you're needing help with your application updates? Definitely a known issue with the series 8 at this point. The Live Tiles on your device will prompt you for an update if you go to the store manually, but at this point the rollout fix is planned just not available as of yet. Found that you're not the only one having this issue as of late. 7.5's still update just fine, just not the 8's. I'll add your account as one of the known issues with it and ultimately as soon as an over-the-air update occurs for the device, it should resolve your issue. They're estimating mid January still, but again that's just an estimate."

depalma

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Apps update notifications have not been working since the day 1 on my Lumia 920.
I only need to check the updates manually - doing it for the essential apps. This is not convenient at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb