Using WP8 with Windows 8

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am a recent iOS convert. I've got a new Lumia 920 and a fresh new copy of Windows 8 Pro with media center. With ios I used to be able to stream all of my music and downloaded tv/movies right to my iPhone (either on my WiFi or away from home). From what I can tell this isn't possible with my new hardware. Is anyone aware of an "Air Video" type of software for windows phone?

I suppose I am just wondering if people can post how they are integrating their wp8 usage with their windows PC. I feel like I am missing out on some major benefits of having matching platforms.

Any suggestions of how to get more out of windows integration are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What about other ways to enhance the experience of using wp8 with Windows 8. So far I'm not seeing any cool integrations between the two. Thanks for the reply also. Looks like DLNA is expected in Q1 2013!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about WiFi Syncing? You can do that, but you set it up from your computer and you SEND stuff to your phone (as opposed to PULLING stuff down from your phone).

There are Media Sharing apps, but I haven't played around with them enough to have found a winner. Basically, your desktop works like a server and you play stuff from that.

Can you do an easier "Send to" from Win8 IE10 to WinPhone8 IE10? I haven't played around enough with it... The Send Link To IE10 on the Xbox is broken. I can't get the Xbox to receive the link correctly. It works fine to pull a website down from the Xbox to the phone though.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What about other ways to enhance the experience of using wp8 with Windows 8. So far I'm not seeing any cool integrations between the two. Thanks for the reply also. Looks like DLNA is expected in Q1 2013!

There aren't really any cool integrations right now. The matching UI is just about all you get. The biggest boon to W8 and WP8 is development. A dev can create an app for either platform and with minimal effort release it on the other. My feeling is that integration will come the most if/when devs decide to add these sorts of things. Minus "airplay", everything else is basically like iOS and OSX. The two don't really integrate much at all. They share iCloud, but Skydrive is MS's version of that product. Of course, you can do basic things like sync calendars, contacts, and notes (onenote is far better than Apple's option IMO).

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate you clearing that up. Saves me from endless searching for something I thought should be standard on smartphones now. But I'm an iOS convert so I suppose I'm a little spoiled when it comes to development. Doesn't change how happy I am with this platform and I just hope to see more in the near future. Looking forward to when a root hack comes available so we start to see community created tweaks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05