Exchange email glitch

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
One of the most important things that I do with my phone is manage email. Every day I read about 100 emails and then move them into folders. I am finding that when I read an email and then move it to a folder it gets marked as read. But, ten minutes later, the email is marked as unread - then I have to go to each of the 23 different folders I use and manually mark the emails as read.

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, the problem is lack of automated syncing from the device back to the server. Some people have mentioned (in other posts) that this is Microsoft's intended way of implementing ActiveSync.. hopefully they revise this recommendation because it's definitely not user friendly. The workaround is to force sync after each operation - do a manual sync after reading a new mail, then do another manual sync after moving it to a subfolder. That's they only way to avoid seeing unread emails in subfolders on your email client.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I sure as **** hope that this is Not how they intend for this to work! Every other device that I have ever used to manage email has not had this problem (laptop with outlook, windows 8 mail client, iPhone, iPad, HTC Trophy). I can't believe that they launched this product without proper implementation of their own technology - not to mention that it is also one of the most important functions for any business user.

Pardon me, but I need to go use my Ipad to mark all of my email as read.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree, and if I recall correctly, this is done to conserve battery life. I honestly feel their efforts to conserve battery life is impacting effective usability. The lack of automated syncing from device-to-server dates back to the Windows Mobile days. There's a feature request on uservoice (albeit isn't receiving a lot of votes, yet), that asks for full syncing like that available on iOS and Android. Hopefully, Microsoft takes note and implements it.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just verified that this problem exists with my Gmail account as well. Seriously?! What a f'ing joke!

At this point, there is no way that I could recommend WP8 to someone that actually uses their phone for work. There are just too many extra steps involved to achieve the most basic functionality.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think that the problem I am having is mostly related to moving the items into a new folder. I can read an email in the inbox and then sync so that it shows up as read on the server. But, when I use my phone to move that read item into a sub folder and sync it, it then shows up as unread. WTF?

Last edited:

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, it seems like the manual sync only syncs the last action performed on the email. So, if I read an email, moved it to a sub folder and did a sync, it would show an unread email in the sub folder. However, if I read an email, did a sync, moved it to a sub folder, and did a sync again, it would show the email (as read) in the sub folder.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, okay, I starting to browse the forums to find out what issue there are before I start to commit. This is a big one. I travel alot for my job (IT managed services provider) and I am always doing email on my phone. I had better have synced read, delete and moved items, or the email client will be useless. This is active sync for gods sake, not manual sync, it's IN THE NAME!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe that they launched this product without proper implementation of their own technology

As I understand it, If you look at the EAS specification, this is proper implementation of their own technology. Other vendors (and Microsoft at times) have built additional functionality onto the base specification to allow for what you're doing. I figure this is one of the corners they cut to release on time and we'll hopefully see the additional functionality in a future update.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, it seems like the manual sync only syncs the last action performed on the email. So, if I read an email, moved it to a sub folder and did a sync, it would show an unread email in the sub folder. However, if I read an email, did a sync, moved it to a sub folder, and did a sync again, it would show the email (as read) in the sub folder.

I think that this is my real issue. I could probably live with a slight delay from when I make the changes to when they get synced. What I can't live with is having the sync being incomplete (ie, only syncing the last action).

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it, If you look at the EAS specification, this is proper implementation of their own technology. Other vendors (and Microsoft at times) have built additional functionality onto the base specification to allow for what you're doing. I figure this is one of the corners they cut to release on time and we'll hopefully see the additional functionality in a future update.
hmm...I don't buy it. Every other microsoft platform that I use has no problem handling it (Outlook, Windows 8 Metro email client, Outlook Webapp). This is just poor implementation and totally unacceptable.

Besides, every competing smartphone platform has proper support.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I am finding that my email is now syncing properly. Both when I read and also when I move emails. I don't think that there have been any updates to the system. Is it possible there were changes on the Exchange Online platform? Is anyone else seeing improved syncing performance?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hmm...I don't buy it. Every other microsoft platform that I use has no problem handling it (Outlook, Windows 8 Metro email client, Outlook Webapp). This is just poor implementation and totally unacceptable.

Besides, every competing smartphone platform has proper support.

Did you actually read what I wrote...? Or...?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I did read what you wrote. I think that it is a weak excuse to say that this is "proper implementation" when every other platform (including the brand new W8 mail client) has the "additional functionality" of folder syncing. I'm just not willing to give MS a pass on this one. It is poor support and a meaningful step behind every other platform available.

jedwardmiller

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't bother moving email to folders on my phone...way too many folders to try to do that. I just read and respond and then move what I need in outlook. Doing it this way keeps me from having any issues.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think that the problem I am having is mostly related to moving the items into a new folder.

This also affects deleted items on my Outlook.com account (I guess that counts as "moving the item" to the Deleted folder). Whenever I delete a mail from WP after reading it, it shows up as unread mail in the Deleted folder on the web client.

Michael4000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a "no go" for me. I get too many emails to fiddle around with an incomplete implemention of an email client.

Time for some new management at Microsoft. They need managers who are detail oriented.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos