Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55
Like Tree24Likes
  1. darkoman4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #26  
    I wish I could afford to buy all those new Nokias from you guys.
  2. JimiDiGriz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #27  
    Feeling quite proud of my Lumia 800 right now reading this. Only got it in Feb this year and fighting the urge to buy a new WP8 even though I'm locked into a contract for another 18 months. Had a quick play with a 920 at the weekend in CPW. Was bolted down so could feel the much maligned 'heft' but didn't seem to big. Flicking around the screens was rapid and the refresh rate and screen impressed but it honestly didn't look noticeably different to 7.5 in the admittedly few minutes I had with it. Think 7.8 might be just the ticket until the next wave of phones come out, thought the app gap might change things if it swings the other way and my 800 gets left in the dust come spring.
    snowmutt likes this.
  3. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #28  
    Jimi: its not supposed to feel separate from 7.5. If it did, it would alienate people. The modern UI is supposed to be something crossplatform.
    Personally I wouldnt touch my WP7.5 Lumia 800 anymore, but the 920 is a joy and great to use. Course, this isnt due soely to the homescreen (yay for more designoptions), but mostly its the hardware itself (like a lot of said design options on homescreen due to non-AMOLED screen).

    Maybe with 7.8 I could use the Lumia 800, but since I can afford the 920 Id choose that any day of the week.
  4. Mike_J's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #29  
    I am in Australia and I have to wonder what is wrong with the USA Lumia range - I have two Lumia 920's (yellow and grey) and a Lumia 820 for my wife, they have worked flawlessly. Absolutely zero issues, battery life in fantastic and zero resets. We had Lumia 800 and 900 previously again with no issues, I never had a case on mu old 900 and it survived numerous falls and not a single noticeable scratch on the screen. My Lumia 920 shot off my work desk yesterday and slid face down across tiles for about four feet before finally stopping (slippery that screen) but not a mark. Tested out the backup function last night on the 920's (swapping from yellow to grey) - awesome - swap sims, power phone, user name and password then asked do you wish to restore from backup - seamless - and with SMS text! My only disappointment is the Grey 920 - not a fan of the colour - I have many volunteers at work that will take it. Must admit that the Lumia 820 is the dark horse - I didn't think I would like the size but it is almost perfect, I like the idea of being able to swap the colour shells, I know my wife will love this - but the Lumia 920 is still the winner it is a beautiful piece of engineering and design.
  5. JimiDiGriz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post
    Jimi: its not supposed to feel separate from 7.5. If it did, it would alienate people. The modern UI is supposed to be something crossplatform.
    Personally I wouldnt touch my WP7.5 Lumia 800 anymore, but the 920 is a joy and great to use. Course, this isnt due soely to the homescreen (yay for more designoptions), but mostly its the hardware itself (like a lot of said design options on homescreen due to non-AMOLED screen).

    Maybe with 7.8 I could use the Lumia 800, but since I can afford the 920 Id choose that any day of the week.
    No I understand, I didn't mean that I expected it to be different in that way, just meant that playing with it for a few minutes lessened my urge to give in to temptation and pony up £500 for a new phone when I'm in a contract as it reaffirmed that my 800 will be more than adequate for now once it gets the new start screen.. unless of course I start to feel an app gap pinch.
    Thanked by:
  6. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #31  
    Ah, yeah that makes sense.

    Yeah no, personally my use lends itself heavily towards the highres screen of the 920, and the fact that its not AMOLED really helps the feel of it for me, but I can see your view of it as well. If the 800 works well for your use at the moment, it would be insane to switch :) .
  7. trazer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #32  
    I was so excited for WP8 and all of its promises, and now I see no reason to upgrade at all. In fact, I'm considering leaving the ecosystem altogether. I had an HD7s, and now have the Titan II but am passing it along to someone else I think. They had tons of time to work on WP8, tons of "its going to be awesome" secrecy and all for what? I am now using a work provided S3 and as much as I hate android I think I'm just moving to it and leaving WP. App gap is too big, I have several apps I use daily that do not exist on the platform, and with WP8 several of my WP7 apps will not work.

    I could get work to get me a WP8 device for free, but I'm not. There are too many issues, too many sync issues for example, hardware issues etc. I'll wait for round 2 of the devices and whatever comes after WP8, WP8+? It kills me as I was a huge champion of the ecosystem but the lack of forward movement is dragging me down. So I guess I'm back to android, I've got my wife trying out my Titan II so it will still get use if she likes it. If not I'll just sell it and wait and watch for a while.

    Feels rushed as OP stated, there are no WOW features that require WP8 to me anyway.
    Last edited by trazer; 12-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    diego3336 and Hiiiiiiiii like this.
  8. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    973 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    Hardware is amazing, software is a disappointment.

    The truth is, Microsoft lied to everyone. We were told that all WP7 apps will work on WP8 phones but that was a false promise.

    The reality is: only the crap apps and games from WP7 work and everything else (Skype, Facebook, PayPal, WhatsApp, Tentacles, etc.) require a re-development.

    We already have a fraction of the apps but with WP8 you get a fraction of a fraction and for what? WP 7.8 includes a new lock screen, updated start screen, even features that don't exist on WP8 like SMS drafts...

    Not only that but Microsoft itself does not give a damn about WP8 apps, otherwise we would have already seen their own games and apps ported to WP8 (Photosynth, Tentacles being some of them).

    I am moving back to WP 7.8 and will wait for Apollo+.

    There are too many drawbacks and zero reasons to use WP8 (minus the hardware), promised great DirectX games are not here, major apps don't work, random reboots, app crashes, etc. It's just a rushed product.
    I am impressed that you are switching back to an OS that has not yet been released. So what will you do when 7.8 breaks an app? Will you switch back to 7.5? Yes, there are some issues but, quite frankly, there are fewer than when upgrading from Android 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2. Personally, I have yet to see any mobile OS release that does not feel rushed, including those from Apple. Things are always broken and some things do not work as expected. Claiming Microsoft lied about things is just an advanced level of whining. They are no more guilty of lying about this than Apple or Google. Personally, there are times I wish Microsoft product users were a bit more like IOS and Android users. People around here seem to want to focus on negative to exclusion of the improvements. Instead, if something is not perfect the sky is falling...
  9. #34  
    tumblr_lwgtuq0hed1qblx4i.jpg
  10. Psionic085's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #35  
    I hate to say it, but I too am seriously considering going back to a WP7 device, at least for a while. As a standalone experience WP8 is fine, my HTC 8x is beautiful, the OS is very responsive and has most of the apps I need, I'm still confident most app updates will come fairly quickly. What drives me insane however is the appalling Windows -> WP8 connectivity! I have used many of the M$ solutions over the years since my first WM6 Ipaq, I must admit it took me a while to get used to Zune, but it ended up replacing the various Media Playing apps on my machine and handled phone syncs effortlessly. .

    WTF were they thinking with the Windows Phone Desktop App it's diabolical, it doesn't do anything that can't be done from windows Explorer it feels like such a huge leap backwards!

    Oh and another thing..

    HOW THE F*** DO I GET A PODCAST ONTO MY PHONE FROM THE DESKTOP!!!

    Oops, didn't mean to get quite so emotional with my first post, but apparently I've needed to get that off my chest for a while now.

    Psi
    Thanked by:
    Hiiiiiiiii likes this.
  11. Hiiiiiiiii's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    223 Posts
       #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    I am impressed that you are switching back to an OS that has not yet been released. So what will you do when 7.8 breaks an app? Will you switch back to 7.5?
    All WP 7.5 apps work fine on WP 7.8, it just offers extended start screen functionality and yes, it does exist and it's already finished, RTM has been available on xda forums for a while now.

    Not only that but these roms have ~50 colors to chose from for tiles and this dark deep purple is incredible.

    Proof



  12. Hiiiiiiiii's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    223 Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by trazer View Post
    I was so excited for WP8 and all of its promises, and now I see no reason to upgrade at all. In fact, I'm considering leaving the ecosystem altogether. I had an HD7s, and now have the Titan II but am passing it along to someone else I think. They had tons of time to work on WP8, tons of "its going to be awesome" secrecy and all for what? I am now using a work provided S3 and as much as I hate android I think I'm just moving to it and leaving WP. App gap is too big, I have several apps I use daily that do not exist on the platform, and with WP8 several of my WP7 apps will not work.

    I could get work to get me a WP8 device for free, but I'm not. There are too many issues, too many sync issues for example, hardware issues etc. I'll wait for round 2 of the devices and whatever comes after WP8, WP8+? It kills me as I was a huge champion of the ecosystem but the lack of forward movement is dragging me down. So I guess I'm back to android, I've got my wife trying out my Titan II so it will still get use if she likes it. If not I'll just sell it and wait and watch for a while.

    Feels rushed as OP stated, there are no WOW features that require WP8 to me anyway.
    I too considered switching to Android or even the iPhone but I just don't like their design approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psionic085 View Post
    I hate to say it, but I too am seriously considering going back to a WP7 device, at least for a while. As a standalone experience WP8 is fine, my HTC 8x is beautiful, the OS is very responsive and has most of the apps I need, I'm still confident most app updates will come fairly quickly. What drives me insane however is the appalling Windows -> WP8 connectivity! I have used many of the M$ solutions over the years since my first WM6 Ipaq, I must admit it took me a while to get used to Zune, but it ended up replacing the various Media Playing apps on my machine and handled phone syncs effortlessly. .

    WTF were they thinking with the Windows Phone Desktop App it's diabolical, it doesn't do anything that can't be done from windows Explorer it feels like such a huge leap backwards!

    Oh and another thing..

    HOW THE F*** DO I GET A PODCAST ONTO MY PHONE FROM THE DESKTOP!!!

    Oops, didn't mean to get quite so emotional with my first post, but apparently I've needed to get that off my chest for a while now.

    Psi
    Sync is a mess, as for podcast Joe from WP does not seem to see any issues with it

    https://twitter.com/christosays/stat...94560889409536

    Really hope that 8.0+ delivers as kernel part is done and they should now be able to focus on gaps and missing functionality,
  13. Hiiiiiiiii's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    223 Posts
       #38  
    More pics from xda rom running WP 7.8 Final



    Thanked by:
    lordofthereef likes this.
  14. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #39  
    Im really glad I dont have app dependencies.

    lordofthereef: youre not. The few podcasts Ive listened to I had as mp3 and slapped over to my phone, no biggie.
  15. #40  
    I feel like the only windows phone user on earth who could give less of a crap about podcasts.
    iamtim likes this.
  16. shinygerbil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    208 Posts
    #41  
    Nope, you're not alone. I've never listened to a podcast and don't plan to anytime soon.
  17. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,532 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #42  
    I love podcasts- one of the things keeping me from WP 8 is the podcast horror stories. I am sure that will work itself out. No matter what the official line is, either there is a problem and MS will address it or there isn't and us podcast users will adjust.

    I am not a huge app user, but I am looking forward to WP 8 getting the app situation caught up and ended for good. By the time the Holidays roll around in 2013, there really will be no excuse for WP users to not have all the major applications that Android and iOS have. None. Local apps (news stations, banks and credit unions, ECT) may be a little while in the making. But the major ones we are missing need to be available by then, and I am confident they will be.

    I really like the WP 8 offerings out there. For those still rocking 1st generation WP 7's, low end Androids, or feature phones, these are AMAZING devices that I believe will sing as soon as some updates hit the airwaves. But, most of us second generation users truly are in the best position right now. Fairly new devices, decent support, and 7.8 on the way. I am comfortable with my decision to wait until early to mid next year to decide on a WP 8 toy. I will enjoy the update on my Focus S and see what comes. Hey, it is one of the advantages of jumping on WP 7 when we did.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  18. nic comino's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #43  
    I am stunned nobody has written an app that puts a live tile on the home screen that actually toggles wifi and other settings on and off (ie not a button that takes me into a menu to do it - but a button that performs a task for me)......stunned! I should probably learn how to write apps :)
  19. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #44  
    Nic: Im assuming its not that easy, its probably not something an exterior app can get control over.
  20. Hiiiiiiiii's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    223 Posts
       #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by nic comino View Post
    I am stunned nobody has written an app that puts a live tile on the home screen that actually toggles wifi and other settings on and off (ie not a button that takes me into a menu to do it - but a button that performs a task for me)......stunned! I should probably learn how to write apps :)
    Microsoft doesn't allow that.

    Nor tons of other Apis

    App Platform: Top (1106 ideas)
  21. runam0k's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post
    Im really glad I dont have app dependencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I feel like the only windows phone user on earth who could give less of a crap about podcasts.
    Which makes WP8 great for you and incredibly frustrating for the rest of us! :)
  22. Slai's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    557 Posts
    #47  
    Runam0k: Agreed :P .

    I dont get the problem with podcasts, could someone explain it to me like im 3 years old?

    My only involvement with podcasts is downloading them as mp3s, which clearly isnt the problem you guys are having :P .
  23. koldmiser's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #48  
    To the original poster...am I understanding you right that you're saying Skype doesn't work? Because my son and I use it every night and it works like a charm. That could have been a deal breaker for us since we used Facetime all the time on our iphones.
  24. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    More pics from xda rom running WP 7.8 Final

    http://i.imgur.com/F9bvm.jpg

    http://i.imgur.com/P4705.jpg
    I never understood why these features aren't implemented, especially colors. How hard would it be to allow us to make our own color. Or if they don't want to do that, give us a couple dozen choices. This is something a ten year old could do messing around with MS Paint on Windows 95.

    I think we are going to start seeing more tweaking like we did with iOS, especially in the early days. People would root to get certain functionality and Apple would implement bits and pieces in upcoming OS's (often almost exactly like a third party dev had already done).

    That said, I think your thread title is just a tad sensationalist. Not everyone roots, or can root, so saying WP8 gives no reason to upgrade is a bit of an overstatement. Frankly, if you are comparing stock 7.8 to 8, 8 has a bundle of reasons to upgrade. Unfortunately there are also bugs in there that can be frustrating. It all depends on what each individual user values and is able/willing to sacrifice I guess.
  25. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by runam0k View Post
    Which makes WP8 great for you and incredibly frustrating for the rest of us! :)
    Eh, I wouldn't say that a lack of caring about podcasts makes WP8 great for me, it's just one less thing that I have to worry about. Right now, I would say my WP* experience is mediocre-good, depending on the day (freezes, reboots, battery dyeing in 5 hours). Right now, my biggest gripe is consistency. I have gone a week without freezes/reboots, and the other day it happened three times. Being that I rely on my phone for work, that is going to be way more frustrating to me than difficulty loading media ever will.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
  3. Options to Back up WP7 device and transfer to WP8 device
    By cre8tivspirit in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
  4. Is Opera Mobile/Mini coming to WP7?
    By condemned in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
  5. Will a Windows Live ID that is associated with Window Phone 7, will it ever expire?
    By Donta79 in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 01:57 AM

Posting Permissions